Should we stop playing freerolls at some point?

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes

Good morning everyone.
freerolls are an excellent way to learn to play and offer a way for the player to build a bankroll, with a practice time and with an improvement in your game, you start to be profitable in micro limits and it is natural that you go up Limits.
So there will come a time when we should stop playing freerolls, in my opinion.

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would always play freerolls to try and level out the variance that runs through my poker playing career.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls keep my game sharp, so the more i play the better i should be, right?

B

Bern257

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every hand played will benefit me in the long run, I love FR tournaments

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just in case you get a big bankroll, and get to play tournament payouts. They help me improve my patience and not get angry with those who go all the time all in and sometimes they will ruin a tournament in which you are doing everything right.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone.

When is the time to hit the jump from freerolls to better quality tournaments?

In my opinion, you should first beat the freerolls and only after that move to buy-in tournaments. Building a bankroll from freerolls is not enough, because most people build a bankroll while still being losing players.

I have posted a thread explaining how you can accurately estimate your own freeroll performance. Make sure you read both my OP and my second post in the thread for detailed calculation examples. Good luck!
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/you-a-winning-freeroll-player-459393/

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting topic as I am getting frustrated with some freerolls. I play only on 888 poker and I feel that the super turbo freerolls are just down to sheer luck at times.

I think it depends on the freeroll format, I'm playing the 10c turbo tournies at the moment where there's a sensible 6 minute blind and I'm finding more success in those.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why would you stop when someone is offering you free chance at money. Thats like saying millionaires should not play the lottery, but they do!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why would you stop when someone is offering you free chance at money.

Because you might feel, your time is better invested elsewhere. We only live once, and if nothing else the time spend playing freerools could be spend for playing a regular tournament, which we might enjoy more and/or have a higher expected return on our time. If for instance we win an average of 2$ playing an 11$ tournament, why would we then choose to play a freerool, where 2.000 players compete for 200$, and where we expect to win an average of just 15c?

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use freerolls to taste some theories, and practice my patience.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because you might feel, your time is better invested elsewhere. We only live once, and if nothing else the time spend playing freerools could be spend for playing a regular tournament, which we might enjoy more and/or have a higher expected return on our time. If for instance we win an average of 2$ playing an 11$ tournament, why would we then choose to play a freerool, where 2.000 players compete for 200$, and where we expect to win an average of just 15c?

I agree with Fundiver, freerolls are great for building a bankroll, but there come's a point when you need to "graduate" to tournies which offer you a bit more reward for your time

Though if you're only playing to pass time freerolls aren't a bad choice either

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think that if you have a bit of a bankroll then you can be more selective in freerolls you play. It maybe not worth your time to play for a few cents or dollars any more. I look freerolls offering tickets to higher cost tourneys or like month end freerolls with bigger prize pool.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is no reason to quit playing freerolls. There are always expensive freerolls for $ 2000, $ 5000, $ 10000, where there are always real chances of winning and reaching the final table. When playing a buy-in tournament, it is free and easy to play alongside a good freeroll, if there is one. A strong player will not lose his skills and qualifications.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so ,, the freroll are free or with several tickets, it is very attractive due to various circumstances and unpredictable ,,, if they are free, the great mass of players create a huge volume of registrations, from there we even travel in the order, micro-limits It reduces a bit the selection of playersp by having already to have Cash ,, and of course we travel higher the ones with the highest the cost of the entrance, no less attractive for many ,, for my perspective, it will always make this very attractive type of tournaments, of course it depends on our bankroll to which we can invest and compete, concept of online tournaments that renowned rooms in the market are forced to compete to attract different poker players, offering several tournaments, with a very attractive prizes of millions of dollars in various events, for this and more,the freroll are too much, attractive to many players ,, be careful, the variance can play a trick on you ,, luck and we looked at the freroll ,,,

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see the reason to stop playing free tournaments, if I think there are tournaments that are not worth playing, because of the amount of time they have been in and the little money they distribute.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you feel that the time invested in freerolls costs you money, rather you use that time to play your usual tournaments.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have so many other good buying games that you do not have room for freerolls then yes, but if not fill the screen and maximize your win/hr.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone.

When is the time to hit the jump from freerolls to better quality tournaments?

Humbly I think that the free ones are good to generate bankroll from scratch but on the other hand in them you do not learn to play good poker, on the contrary, I think that the level equals downwards, except of course for the freerolls of my beloved Cardschat .

What do you think ? Is there a certain bankroll to drop the freerolls? How much is it ? $ 100, $ 200, $ 500, $ 1000? Is there a certain time, or is the question personal?

What bankroll do you have to have to play mtt tournaments? I for sits I think they are 200 buy in but perhaps I exaggerate being too conservative. For mtt 500 buy ins will it be ok?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

PS: Of course I am thinking about this for later in time since I am still a novice (almost a fish) and anyway I will keep playing the Cardschat freerolls forever because it is so nice to play with friends.
Firstly, by playing at the start of MTT without an entry fee, you get used to the dynamics of online poker without risking anything. Secondly, in freerolls, we acquire the initial skills that are very necessary for tournament play. It's no secret that tournament poker is more difficult than cash, as it is more versatile in terms of adjusting. Freerolls give just the initial experience of adjusting to the level of the field, to specific opponents and to the size of the stack. Well, and what, in my opinion, is important - freerolls allow us for the first time to feel the very competitive real spirit of poker, the feeling of which then returns more than once with each new victory.If you are just starting your poker career, feel free to register in open tournaments and do not listen to those who arrogantly laugh at freerolls. But remember that consistently good results in these events are just the first step to mastery. There are many important things that you simply cannot understand until you play buy-in tournaments or play with an experienced player.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Fundiver, freerolls are great for building a bankroll, but there come's a point when you need to "graduate" to tournies which offer you a bit more reward for your time.

Exactly. Also I forgot to mention, what for me is perhaps the most important argument against freerolls, which is, that you can only play them, when they run. And rather than having my poker schedule dictated by, when the freerolls run, I much prefer to be able to play, when it suits me.

After moving to sweden there are not many freerolls, I can even play, since the licensed sites are generally not allowed to offer them. I could however play something like the daily CC freeroll on ACR, and I have actually done that once, where I cashed for 2 dollars and change. So why dont I do that more often? Well mainly because it runs at 2 am in my timezone on weekdays and 11 pm in the weekend. And this is just not the time of day, where I prefer to play poker :)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerols are good to play, i play every day when i see a freeroll

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will participate anyway if I have money without managing bankrolls. I'm doing it with the idea that even if I lose, I won't lose.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are designed to appeal to both beginners and poker enthusiasts. I think that playing freerolls all the time will just get bored, there will be a desire to try myself at more money tournaments.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
i will not stop playing freeroll until I win Sunday Million but I only play cardschat freerolls because it has the highest quality freeroll on earth.

thanks cardschat

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play freerolls, it won't hurt anyone. If you don't play freerolls, it won't hurt anyone either. CC has good freerolls, so I don't think you need any more freerolls - you just won't have time for others.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Free-rolls are exactly what they sound like, Free to play and of course you are free to choose whether to play them or not, If you are a fun player like myself, then playing them is all part of having that fun at no cost to your bank-roll.
If however you are trying to make a living from Poker, then possibly the amount you win from them, would not really help you to do this, It all depends on your situation and where in the World you live, and of course the reason's why you play Poker.
A serious Professional player would probably stay away from them as the monetary returns for the hours you spend playing them, would not make economic sense. It is all down to the individual player on whether it is worth their time.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Freeroll Passwords