Should we stop playing freerolls at some point?

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you should stop until you are playing >$10 stakes reqgularly. These tourneys offer good practice, and can be quite valuable if you bink it and win!

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks

Lots of Great info here.

I've often wondered about the low stakes. I'm thinking that if I leave the .50 cent and $1.00 tournaments I will see less players calling my 3BB Aks raise with a 72o. Yes I know you want the fish to do this but seems like they usually win. :banghead:

Do u see this happening much at a higher stake game?

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Summary It seems that the quarantine made me study freeroll well. I played a lot but with little profit. So I started picking out the most prizes and the least participants

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should stop playing freerolls when you have a proper banckroll for the lowest micro stake possible. But if you can multi table then you can play them both. It make the transition easier.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a good tool

Freerolls are a good tool to better your game, you never know who you are playing against. I have played in many Freerolls against Pros as they also use these games. It is not all about the money when you are trying to better your skill. Capo1014

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't necessarily say you have to stop playing freerolls. There is nothing to say that you can't start playing buy-in tournaments as soon as you have enough in your account to afford one. You can still play freerolls if you have the desire or just want to kill some time.

If I have $3 in my account, then I'm going to be looking for a $1 freezeout to play. However, with todays diminished player pools, most sites tend to opt for rebuy/add on and re-entry tournaments because repeated entries add up to more revenue. It's also the best way for them to be able to cover guaranteed prize pools without having to dip into their own pockets. Of course, the guy with a $50 or $100 bankroll may be more inclined to gamble, since they can afford to fire five or six bullets at a $1 tourney, as opposed to you with your limited bankroll. Which is why I prefer freezeouts. But with very few freezeouts available I might have to wait until later in the day to play my preferred type of tournament. In the meantime, I can pass the time by playing a freeroll.

Keep in mind though, some players tend to play freerolls with a more cavalier attitude. I, myself, am not one of them. I attempt to play my best in any and every tournament I play in. It's not that I take freerolls so serious. It's that I don't want to get into any bad habits. But if you are one of those players that tends to play freerolls with the attitude of "screw it, it's just a freeroll", and therefore are willing to make horrible plays and bad calls that you know you shouldn't because "it's just a freeroll", then you should probably stick to one or the other. I say this because it is my personal opinion that we all tend to be creatures of habit. So if you get into the habit of coin flipping every time you see a pair or broadway cards or jamming the second you flop top pair, because it's just a freeroll, then those habits are likely to carry over when you play a buy-in MTT.

While I say there is nothing that says you have to play one or the other, there does come a time when freerolls kind of do become a waste of your time. There was a time when I used to play on a particular site. This site's freeroll prizes were entries into other tournaments. I forget precisely what they were, but I do remember that at some point I ended up with an entry into a 1K guaranteed Sunday tournament. The buy-in was $100 or something like that, so there weren't a lot of entries. At any rate I ended up winning $600 for taking it down one Sunday. I ended up placing second in it couple of times along with one or two third place finishes. The point is that I built my bankroll up to close to $2000 in a fairly short period of time.

Then came one evening. I was playing one of the freerolls. About halfway into the tourney I played a hand where a villain with a fairly big stack limps in front of me. I raise and he 3-bets. I call and flop top/top. He check/raises me big. I call. He bets big on the turn. I call. I make two pair on the river. He shoves. I take a second to consider before making the call. He turns over napkins. I know I should have been thrilled that I had just been vaulted into the overall chip lead. But I was irritated and disgusted at the level of play I was seeing. That's when it suddenly occurred to me that I could be doing something (anything) else. I typed "Good luck" in the chat box, clicked sit out and closed the window.

Last edited:
veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
I think quitting freerolls when a player has a couple of hundred or a couple of thousand is a huge leak in their game personally.
6 digit roll lock down the roll keep free rolling,:D
7 digit roll ok maybe limit freerolls to the best 20 or 30 of them during the week,:captain:
Think of it long haul lets says $50 a week roughly across many sites including CardsChat ones for a year with average $2600 cash use it to play 23 Sunday million games a year finally bink one priceless.
All it is just another screen open once in awhile anyway for decent freerolls while grinding whatever limit your bankroll is comfortable at and I think it is ok to play everything from freerolls to high stakes.

Maybe though if have 6 tables open with $500 to $1000 buy ins on each table regularly freeroll just a bad distraction as the player really needs to focus elsewhere.

You just opened my eyes, bless you . I always wanted to play sm and couldnot afford . I have won 4 figures cpl of time , but never kept it as always withdrew my money to start afresh. This time as my 50 bucks br challenge is going on , I will do this then. I will continud following brm until I hit 3000 bucks to play SM 27 weeks next year hopefully. Who knows what might happen in sm one timeeee..

As regarding this topic, you should def cut down unnecessary low value freerolls once you have 100 bucks or so, no time wasting to get few pennies on top .

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
why not??
Like the name said, they are free to join and play, and if you're lucky and run good, then you can cash in, and help your BR.
:)
Who doesn't like the free money.
:)

If I have some time to kill, in between whatever I'm doing at the time, why not, they are good entertainment.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play a lot higher stakes than usual then freeroll is just a distraction, if you play micro-low stakes then you can play anything and it wouldn't distract you that hard. Freerolls are very good for grinding bankroll and playing some sit and go's.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played only freerolls for ages building up a bank roll. Then I lost some trying to play cash (not my strong suit, better suited to tournaments); now I still play freerolls, but I also play the occasional $1-2 tournaments to help build my bankroll and try to escape the sheer amount of allins going on in FRs these days., but I still play them (especially the more decent ones). Also, as others have said - why pass up free money unless you are deep in another tournament and want to keep distractions to a minimum.

I didn't play so many tournaments today because I was well into a $2.10 Bounty where I earned $45.94 overall (made most of it in KOs). Freerolls would have distracted me, so I decided not to play today, but I'll still be playing them.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have just decided that enough is enough with Freerolls to much time for little reward and pretty boring. Played one last night 5000 entrances haha

Just going to stick to cash games now - probably just loose loads now instead of time haha

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For most players, poker deposits will be to the detriment. Only a small or small amount of players can be said to be in profit. Therefore, for myself, I determined the game only for money with a freeroll. I think that $ 20 for the first time will be enough for me to test my knowledge in poker. In the future, the amount can be accumulated more.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general I will say yes except maybe for the very best once. If you are already a winning player, freerolls can often become a bit of a distraction pushing you to play mainly, because the freeroll is running now and not because, this is the most convenient time to play.

And if you are already in the middle of a regular session, adding another table just to play a freeroll can lead to distraction, which is not worth it, if the freeroll is for pennies, as most of them are. Its a bit the same like, you dont want to buy into a new 3$ tournament, if you are near the final table in a 12$ tournament. Then you want to focus of performing, where it matters most financially.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
good or moment when you evolved your game like for example: having a higher number of KK QQ JJ TT in a tournament that you see is worthwhile then it is already suitable to leave the freeroll and play several limits, otherwise you remain in the freeroll until you learn to press those hands in certain situations.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would never stop playing freerolls, even if I have some money to pay for tournaments, freerolls are like a relaxant before or after playing a difficult tournament, also, there are freerolls that give good payouts, especially those of CC, so I would never stop playing them ;)

P

Powell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to jump for the bankroll level you will 200 dollars bankroll but you will play 1 dollar buy in.I think you don't stop to freeroll when you will played for the bankroll.I will help for you and Good Luck!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a good value freeroll I don't see a reason to not play, but if it's those freerolls with thousand of players that you have to play hours to win only cents or few $, you should play as soon as you build a small bankroll

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter what freeroll are we talking about, there are players who cannot take themselves seriously. We are different, as you mentioned, I think because we see each other so many times at the tables and because the prizes are catchy we won't do amature things (everyone tries their best of the most cases here).

I can totally get if someone is no longer interested in freerolls. Building a bankroll is hard, and be a profitable one is hard too. You're time is limited.

I would also mention to you as I played two sites different buy-ins, that the lower ones are dangerous as well, cause the ranges are wild. Do not lost your faith and mood because of possible failures, if you're capable of managing your money and a nice player, results have to come :)

Good luck to you, and in addition have fun in learning poker, cause it's an infinity thing I think. :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Stop playing them immediately. You are learning nothing from them and life is far too short to be wasting your time playing so many hours for so little reward.

Open that debit card and get depositing.

Not sure I will agree with this. Your right on most of them but the cards chat freerolls are not the typical free roll. The play of these many of the players are actually trying to play and learn the game and not just shoving 72o the 1st hand they play.

As for wasting my time, I get what you mean. The thing is I play for enjoyment of the game. I really love just playing poker and yes if i play the CC game and win it I am happy even if the amount of cash I will win is small per hour. Yes I would rather have a 4 of 5 figure score but just winning $23.00 is just as much of a thrill to me as its about the play and competition and the thrill of victory for me.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's not that difficult. When you can earn more per hour than the average earnings on freerolls, it's time to go to the next level:)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello everyone.

When is the time to hit the jump from freerolls to better quality tournaments?

Humbly I think that the free ones are good to generate bankroll from scratch but on the other hand in them you do not learn to play good poker, on the contrary, I think that the level equals downwards, except of course for the freerolls of my beloved Cardschat .

What do you think ? Is there a certain bankroll to drop the freerolls? How much is it ? $ 100, $ 200, $ 500, $ 1000? Is there a certain time, or is the question personal?

What bankroll do you have to have to play mtt tournaments? I for sits I think they are 200 buy in but perhaps I exaggerate being too conservative. For mtt 500 buy ins will it be ok?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

PS: Of course I am thinking about this for later in time since I am still a novice (almost a fish) and anyway I will keep playing the Cardschat freerolls forever because it is so nice to play with friends.

There are free roll and then there are free rolls. Cardschat free roll are closer small stakes games than a free roll. Many players play for fun and to learn the game and want to play poker and not just gamble. I dont think you need to move on from this type of free rolls.

As for typical free rolls on the sites, I would agree getting away from them sometime on the future is a good idea. Playing in them is just not going to help. In a real game for the most part you are not going to see a raise and a call a 3 bet and 4 bet shove getting called by 4 other players in a real game. Look at the hands they show when this happens, 87o A2s KTs and pocket 44;s as an example and these guys are all in for 150BB. Once you have a roll dont play these games if you can.

As for real games you will still see some crazy stuff happening but not like the free rolls. These players are usually gone quickly and then you can play real poker if you can survive for a while.

F

FergusDec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that many freerolls and low stakes tourneys have about the same level of play, with a number of players just playing loose and looking to double up early. Haven't done many of the CardsChat ones yet, so hopefully those are higher quality tourneys.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. I play some $ 5 and $ 10 tournaments, but even so I only have the hobby of playing. I keep participating in the freerools, mainly due to the unpredictability of the players. I will never stop playing. :)

Freeroll Passwords