Open Min Raise...Good or Bad??

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Page 3*. just checked and page 1 was a bucnh of whining and a few good points. and it got rounded off in page 2. then proceeded to go downhill.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*waves magic wand* ( waits for thread to be locked )...........................

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
*waves magic wand* ( waits for thread to be locked )...........................

I've mentioned but I dont care that much. other topics have had some entertainment. Its when random ppl come and say something that they could have read on the first two pages.

Just unsub.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Lol took it from my mouth. I'll try to bring it back:

3x is fine til 25/50 blinds
2.2-2.5x after and throughout.

^^This is the winning argument and a great one at that.

I'm confused:confused:
A month ago you got in an argument with Blue, insisting you were 'right' & that you'd start up a thread to prove it (this one).
You discovered something about the game... but now you're letting some others who disagree, 'the way it is'. I'm confused again.

btw. doom.. 25/50 .. not necessarily dropping down to 'min' raise pre. 'it depends'.
imo, min once antes kick in.. maybe 2.5 up til' 50/100 (but not necessarily > it depends).

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm confused:confused:
A month ago you got in an argument with Blue, insisting you were 'right' & that you'd start up a thread to prove it (this one).
You discovered something about the game... but now you're letting some others who disagree, 'the way it is'. I'm confused again.

btw. doom.. 25/50 .. not necessarily dropping down to 'min' raise pre. 'it depends'.
imo, min once antes kick in.. maybe 2.5 up til' 50/100 (but not necessarily > it depends).

Probably the smartest thing I've heard you say....

I didn't start a thread "to prove I'm right". I thought I was right and I didnt want to debate in my grind thread. So I started this one so anyone could share their opinion.

I had a leak in my game and thanks to the help of others, it has been fixed. I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong. You should try the same.

Now go bother someone else and quit being a waste of space in my threads.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
both of you stop fighting and go review scourrges HH so we can compare notes.

E

ewz80

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
jj works alot better for me your not going to talk me out of playing them

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'm gonna dig my ingrown toenails out today.

-

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
^about as relevant as anything else since the first couple pages. +1 :D

I

idonkaround

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess I'm Old School

I guess I might be just a little old-school, but I'm all about if you can't come on the pot for a proper raise then don't come in at all. Unless, however you are coming in on the button with odds. (That however is a different subject) In, summary if you can't raise or re-raise then FOLD.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I might be just a little old-school, but I'm all about if you can't come on the pot for a proper raise then don't come in at all. Unless, however you are coming in on the button with odds. (That however is a different subject) In, summary if you can't raise or re-raise then FOLD.
This.
If I'm coming in, I always raise the same amount. Can't let everyone read you easily. If you always bet based on hand strength, you're going to be an easy target.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This.
If I'm coming in, I always raise the same amount. Can't let everyone read you easily. If you always bet based on hand strength, you're going to be an easy target.

Nobody in this thread has said bet on hand strength, they're saying bet on blind levels.

N

Nooneinparticular

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Define a "proper" raise?
Also, say you late position, with 10 10, and there is an EP raise to 2.5x, with 2 callers, and you will have position post flop. Do you still do a "proper" raise?

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always come in Raising, rarly come in calling. In late pos. Esp. You should be taking advantage of the postion so raise more, even if it gets to the flop, you get the best seat in the house and sit back and make the best choices :)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Welcome to CC!!

You have 25bb in the HJ and are holding AJo. What do you do? :)

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
jj works alot better for me your not going to talk me out of playing them

Sa'wiiinng and a miss....

I like this post.

For the longest time I felt the exact same way. Always coming in for the same sizing (3x, of course). It took me a long time to notice that this strat was really putting me into a lot of awkward situations. Mostly of the poor spr variety.

With what little time I have to play these days, I've been trying to break this bad habit and make smaller, and/or slightly varying raise amounts based on conditions. I also like being able to be more creative with my betsizing and playing more streets without always having to commit most/all of my stack by the river.

And having written that, I'm ashamed that it took over a decade to break that nasty habit. Now, on to smoking....

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the longest time I felt the exact same way. Always coming in for the same sizing (3x, of course). It took me a long time to notice that this strat was really putting me into a lot of awkward situations. Mostly of the poor spr variety.

With what little time I have to play these days, I've been trying to break this bad habit and make smaller, and/or slightly varying raise amounts based on conditions. I also like being able to be more creative with my betsizing and playing more streets without always having to commit most/all of my stack by the river.

And having written that, I'm ashamed that it took over a decade to break that nasty habit. Now, on to smoking...
So how often, and by how much, do you mix up your raise amoumts?

C

c double

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does BB check in a minraised pot?

People on here can be kind of rude about their opinions of your play! He minraised wanting that action, and he got it...

Personally I don't think you made a great play or anything, most would rather do that with suited connectors though you could make a case for the K as over to QQ, JJ...

The problem is being able to let go of the hand if you hit only the K or the flush draw.. or maybe you're in there looking to coin flip..

Yesterday I was in a $1.10 $600.00 GTD MTT tournament, this exact situation came up. My opponent under the gun min-raised 2000 chips, then a flat by my another opponent who was next to act; I flatted with Kh, 3h in cut off and everyone else folded and BB checked. I put my first opponent UTG with AA the other opponent I was not for sure.

Flop came Kd, 3c, Js, UTG bet pot 8000 chips, the next opponent re-raised all in, this, since I did not put the second opponent on a hand I was wondering about a bigger two pair; I went all in BB flolded and UTG called.

UTG showed As, AD, my other opponent showed Qc, 10s; turn was 5h and the river was a 7c. I was the chip leader with over 100K and finished 7th for $25.00 and it was this hand helped finish deep in this tournament. I entered the hand cheap and tripled up and once I had two pair on the flop where was I going then?

C

c double

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen really good players use this strategy, and I guess the idea is either to get value out of your big pair, or to be able to play your medium-strong hand without having to shove and get snapped off by a monster. There is a time when this bet sizing is appropriate, perhaps, but it is pretty rare. 20bb deep, you can still afford to make closer to a pot sized raise, and still fold and have a chance if you turn out to be clobbered.

Min raise, and Mr. K3 suited has decent odds to make that flat. Positive odds? Probably not.

But what about 12-14 bb deep, even stacks full ring? I think you can make a case for minraising preemies, but if you do that, you should probably treat your small pairs and ATs's the same way, which isnt very smart. Let's hope your opponents arent smart enough to pick up on that..