***November SNG Thread***

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Papa Roach? Talk about selling out, lol. And Killswitch... I dunno, they're like not even metal, their singer just doesn't cut it for me. I mean I like it, but I guess I don't respect it, if that makes sense lol.

I used to like Filth a lot more, I still appreciate them but don't really listen to them a whole lot. Rammstein is a little weird :p

wtf it cut off my post lol i included five finger death punch, atreyu, linkin park, rise against, shinedown, staind, and three days grace all much much better.

Favorite all time...probably skillet..sick sick sick band.

o hell yea...papa roach new shit is garbage man. but their fist 2 CDs are bangin

rammstein and cradle of filth are the 2 wierdest bands i know or have ever heard....cradle of filth music is literally the scariest music ive ever heard..dunno how ppl can rock out to that

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lotta hard rock I see, not my cup of tea but I don't hate it. My musical taste is so weird, I can listen to Streelight Manifesto then Sabrepulse, Kid Cudi then Kalmah, Arcade Fire then Attack Attack, all in the same hour.

Oh, poker related note, I'm very excited because this winter I won't be taking classes or working, so I will finally be able to get some good volume in (for a month anyway). I was gonna an internship, but honestly I could use the time off. In the summer hopefully I'll stay at school and do some research with the professors here, I'm really excited about that actually. So hopefully I can spend the next two months plugging some leaks, which is hard to do without getting in a ton of volume and review, then deposit some and go from there.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rammstein and cradle of filth are the 2 wierdest bands i know or have ever heard....cradle of filth music is literally the scariest music ive ever heard..dunno how ppl can rock out to that

...oh, the things we could show you...

Actually, thanks to the wonders of the intertubes we can. Let's start with some Aussie stuff. This is Portal, and they make CoF look like they belong in the kiddie game down the street:

YouTube - PORTAL - Glumurphonel

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...oh, the things we could show you...

Actually, thanks to the wonders of the intertubes we can. Let's start with some Aussie stuff. This is Portal, and they make CoF look like they belong in the kiddie game down the street:

YouTube - PORTAL - Glumurphonel

LMFAO while i enjoy watchin the homo with a clock on his head scream like 2 words every 55 seconds....CoF voice is def scarier lol

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. build my br so i can play the stakes i used to

2. undo the ring rust

3. Maybe move from 4 tabling to 6 tabling

4. Stop playing non turbo sngs

5. stop playing turbo mtts

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LMFAO while i enjoy watchin the homo with a clock on his head scream like 2 words every 55 seconds....CoF voice is def scarier lol

LOL - I think you might've missed the point of Cradle then. They're funny (and deliberately so), not scary :p

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My playing for first strategy is paying off so far. I didn't realize I only have played 63 $2.25 turbos. I had them mixed with $1.20 and $.30 satties. My placing in third days are few and far between now. I tried to export file from PT3 but it keeps saving to wordpad and is not readable.

Anyway last $2.25 SNG stats

3rd : 8/63
2nd : 5/63
1rst: 15/63
ITM: 28/63
ROI: 34.6%

Small sample but I am feeling it again and I am pwning tables come bubble time. Oh what a feeling!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^ just be careful with "playing for first", I made a thread last month that tried to qualify that statement a little bit. You do want to be very aggressive so that you're in a position to make a lot of +$EV plays, but you also don't wanna do something stupid like calling off with AK on the bubble at t200/t400 when there are two stacks of t800 at the table. I know that seems pretty intuitive but just sayin'.

Are you playing turbos or non-turbos?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL - I think you might've missed the point of Cradle then. They're funny (and deliberately so), not scary :p

I almost bought Midian last week, but my roommates think I'm weird enough :D

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^ just be careful with "playing for first", I made a thread last month that tried to qualify that statement a little bit. You do want to be very aggressive so that you're in a position to make a lot of +$EV plays, but you also don't wanna do something stupid like calling off with AK on the bubble at t200/t400 when there are two stacks of t800 at the table. I know that seems pretty intuitive but just sayin'.

Are you playing turbos or non-turbos?

All turbos. Non turbos I do better at but not enough to justify the time difference. As for the above statement I have found I am in that position much less now as I mostly have the chip lead if I make it this far. I am the one having people calling off on me with AK against my large stack. Like I said, much more funner.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any input on this stats please (be nasty, is best to improve).

Consider that are 9/men regular speed

October (buyin:$2-$5)
VPIP:16.4
PFR:9.9
3bet:6.6
Agg:2.71
Flopcbet:60
vs3bet: F:30 C:50 R:19

November so far (buyin:$5)
VPIP:16.1
PFR:10.4
3bet:5.6
Agg:2.35
Flopcbet:62
vs3bet: F:30 C:48 R:22

Coming from MTTs cost me a lot to play less hands (used to play around 20), slowly go down but still i think playing too many, at this point not sure to how low need to go down. Last month was 3beting a little wider, trying to fix that to at least 5. Need to work out in agg, but the big leak that spot is the 3bet only folding 30 and calling almost 50% of the time (very stupid for not spot it early).

What else you guys see?.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost bought Midian last week, but my roommates think I'm weird enough :D

FWIW Midian is one of my favourite albums ever and it's by far their best one, I think (though I haven't bothered listening to the last few they put out). Definitely an acquired taste though.

In other news, I like the detour this thread is taking this month - had no idea we had metal fans ITT :D

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All turbos. Non turbos I do better at but not enough to justify the time difference. As for the above statement I have found I am in that position much less now as I mostly have the chip lead if I make it this far. I am the one having people calling off on me with AK against my large stack. Like I said, much more funner.

Definitely - just keep in mind that, like you said, it's a very small sample. We might not want it to happen but at some point you're going to end up as the short stack on the bubble a bunch of times as well and we need to have a plan for that too.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely - just keep in mind that, like you said, it's a very small sample. We might not want it to happen but at some point you're going to end up as the short stack on the bubble a bunch of times as well and we need to have a plan for that too.

I do make good decisions playing small stack too. It just feels much better to be the one doing the bullying instead of being bullied.

This is very similar to how I was playing $22+ a few years ago. I had over 20% ROI over 500 games so I must have been doing something right then. My style was tainted when I stated playing cash games. Then I was actually thrown off using this dated strategy of playing super tight early, aggressive late. This gets many people 2-3% ROI but I am aiming a little higher than that.

I play the same as I do in my live game now. I play many mediocre hands in position against people who limp/play too many hands preflop. Stealing and restealing becomes much easier in the mid-game with a stack. The main thing I do different is adjust to the table better. Some of my tables I may be 4/4/2 while others I may be 40/30/4.

It is important to get the fishes chips before the others do IMHO. It give you the edge in the end and has really helped my game.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tbh though it'd be a near miracle if you had anything higher than 15% ROI at any level over a very large sample. It has nothing to do with your playing ability, it just has to do with the nature of the games.

I see Debi itt! How's Vegas??

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tbh though it'd be a near miracle if you had anything higher than 15% ROI at any level over a very large sample. It has nothing to do with your playing ability, it just has to do with the nature of the games.

I see Debi itt! How's Vegas??

I am on the flight right now. Trying to use my laptop which is sitting in my tummy since the man in front of me let his seat back lol.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what a jerk!

fat_guy_airplane.jpg

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - well at least nobody is behind him lol.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any input on this stats please (be nasty, is best to improve).

Consider that are 9/men regular speed

October (buyin:$2-$5)
VPIP:16.4
PFR:9.9
3bet:6.6
Agg:2.71
Flopcbet:60
vs3bet: F:30 C:50 R:19

November so far (buyin:$5)
VPIP:16.1
PFR:10.4
3bet:5.6
Agg:2.35
Flopcbet:62
vs3bet: F:30 C:48 R:22

Coming from MTTs cost me a lot to play less hands (used to play around 20), slowly go down but still i think playing too many, at this point not sure to how low need to go down. Last month was 3beting a little wider, trying to fix that to at least 5. Need to work out in agg, but the big leak that spot is the 3bet only folding 30 and calling almost 50% of the time (very stupid for not spot it early).

What else you guys see?.
These stats don't really tell us a lot. They seem to be pretty tight overall, and you seem to be limping a lot and have a big gap in between your VPIP and PFR. And you definitely need to amp up your postflop aggression i think.

You most likely need to amp up the agression in the mid-game, but it's hard to say without seeing you play. The calling 3bet is a little iffy, but since you play micros, a lot of the time these guys min 3bet us, pricing us into calling most of the time. Looks like we might be missing out on a few c-bets too.

However, you're much better off trying to find trouble spots, and filtering them down in your HEM or PT3. Like, in game, if you have a spot where you have to think a long time about or are just unsure about in general, it's good to mark that hand and review it later. You can post the hands in the HA forum, or just review them yourself. If you encounter the same trouble spots, you can then filter those spots down in HEM and review a ton of hands that are very similar.

http://www.sickread.com/blog/article/how-to-learn-good-them-sngs/

This is really helpful. He uses HEM, but the same thing can be applied with PT3 with a bit of work :D.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very similar to how I was playing $22+ a few years ago. I had over 20% ROI over 500 games so I must have been doing something right then. My style was tainted when I stated playing cash games.

20% over 500 games means nothing unfortunately. Those games back then, you could play a simple tight strategy early, and a decent shove/fold game late and ROI's of 15%+ were achieveable. However the small sample size of 500 games isn't really enough. There are big ROI swings that you will go through that can have a huge effect on your 'true' ROI. So the general rule of thumb is, play 1000 games to know if you're winning at a particular level, and 3000 before you can begin to pin down your True ROI.

Then I was actually thrown off using this dated strategy of playing super tight early, aggressive late. This gets many people 2-3% ROI but I am aiming a little higher than that.

Yep, loads of people fail to adjust to the newer games these days, as games evolve we also need to evolve to keep ahead of everyone else. I was playing that same tight early/aggre late strategy around 6 months ago. Basically, if you're not continually learning and improving your falling back into the pack. Also, lots of people say SNGs are solved. well that couldnt be further from the truth. There's no one way to profit in these games, and there is room for people to play their certain style of game. Mine now sounds a lot like yours. I'm playing in a lot more pots early, trying to accumulate chips from the start of the tournament. I really want to get involved with the fish early so i can bust them and take a chip advantage over the other regs, which i can then use to own the mid-game/bubble. I also feel i play a big stack better than most.

It is important to get the fishes chips before the others do IMHO. It give you the edge in the end and has really helped my game.

Yeah, i totally agree with this. but it doesn't mean we can just go crazy and start playing 73s just because we have position on a fish. It's a fine line between spewing/accumulating chips and like everything in poker, it needs to be done in balance. What i mean by that is, if we go too crazy early, we then start to spew chips, which actually leaves us shorter on average than most. But done in the right spots, taking up these slightly profitable/negative plays can boost our equity by quite a bit.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I mean I'm not going all wacko playing ATC just because I have position. I am just looking for + EV earlier and taking it when I can get it.

As far as the sample size it is very small but I have not only started to play this way. I only stopped for awhile. I'm not just playing LAGtard style I use my aggression during certain situations that pay off the most in the long run. There is a fine line between aggressive and stupid and I think I can walk it pretty good:).

It's not just like I've only played 500 games. here are my sharkscope stats for FT.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 54
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one is saying you're not a good/winning player. It's just that you are most likely running hot and that's why you're having outstanding results. And inevitably you're likely to experience a regression to the mean. That's just how SNG's are, which I'm sure you know, and you're not likely to score higher than 10% ROI over a long sample.

Again, not trying to knock you at all, don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I know you're a winning player, you SS shows that, plus I ran a filter for turbo games from the last year, you're doing plenty well (better than me lol). But yeah it's gonna be hard to do much better than 10%, no matter what strategy you use, etc.

oh yeah, thanks for that link WiZZ, I've actually been looking for something like this, thanks.

Last edited:
DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I am running hot and never expect to have long term ROI over 10% really. It just seems that when I open up earlier in certain situations I tend to get out of the 2nd or 3rd rut that sometimes frustrates me into having to quit for awhile. It's not like I play the end game any different than I used to when I have a SS or middle stack. It's just I am getting there more often with a larger stack.

As far as what I would expect in long term in the micros I would think at least 15-20% is achievable. I would hope to move out of the micros soon and up to $6.50s. These I am about break even or slightly below even at. Many of them I played way too tight early/mid stages. 10% ROI should be achievable I would think. Many of the players at this level and above play a decent end game and if you don't have a monster lead it's a crapshoot.

Anyway I understand that while it is not advisable to play like a total LAGtard early, it is okay to see a few more hands early for cheap than many people advise. It is also good to steal, resteal, and bluff in the middle stages when the timing is right. Like I said it's a fine line, but it is a fun one to walk:).

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
weeee topic for discussion!

so we're in a pretty awful position here, in a virtual tie for last with the two giant stacks in the blinds on our button. Here I think we can take a much smaller edge than SNGWiz suggests (lemme know if you disagree). So how much would you deviate from Wiz here/ how wide would that make our range?

Full Tilt - $1,000,000+$0.01|80/160 NL - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: 5,340.00
UTG: 1,920.00
Hero (BTN): 1,820.00
SB: 4,420.00

SB posts SB 80.00, BB posts BB 160.00

Pre Flop: (240.00) Hero has boobies ldo

fold, Hero feels his boobies