W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is Bwammo's blog on that if any of you haven't read it:

[old link~tb]

Yeah, pretty much what gave me the idea to try it, should be fun, i'll be doing it tommo... Sorry today sometime :). Pretty confidant i can do pretty well, especially if i make it near late game :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise, implied odds arn't there anymore, no diff if im in the CO, no diff if it's a $24. We can't really limp anymore, not enough people to act behind, and raising helps us win the pot more often.

okay that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I wasn't on auto-pilot lol.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haven't read the blog, but I've actually been thinking about the no-hole-cards thing for a bit now. Mainly finding that many of the decisions I'm making mid-late have almost nothing to do with the cards I have. Snap-calls from BB based on odds, SB/BTN/CO shoves based on stacks/dynamics. I was thinking of the girl who took down a 180 SNG without looking at her hole cards (don't know her name, european pro that's only like 19). When I first heard that I just thought it was stupid sick...at this point I kind of think I could almost do it if I tried enough of them.

I'm also finding that the idea of "average buy-in" to determine proper BRM kicks ass. I can sprinkle shots in the $12/180s in my play as long as I balance them against a much larger volume of $2.20's. Similar things can happen with the $3 and 6 45's.

Last edited:
D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, kinda new to this thread but have been browsing quite a bit. Might be an off topic question, but have any of you guys seen pandurrrr on full tilt playing $20 sngs. He basically mass tables everyday and ,IMO, he plays bad but gets lucky. Pretty sure he's grinding out like a $200,000 profit every year.. Crazy stuff.

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello November.

After playing cash for a year and a half I have come to a conclusion: I suck at cash.

I have always been pretty good at SNGs, but I have never allotted the time to play them. It is time for me to start. My initial results, although small, have been great. My goals for this month:

1. 50 SNGs
2. Profit
3. Focus more on individual hands while playing 2 SNGs at a time

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, kinda new to this thread but have been browsing quite a bit. Might be an off topic question, but have any of you guys seen pandurrrr on full tilt playing $20 sngs. He basically mass tables everyday and ,IMO, he plays bad but gets lucky. Pretty sure he's grinding out like a $200,000 profit every year.. Crazy stuff.

Many of the priciples and concepts in SNG play may seem really quite weird at first, like shoving 93o with 10 BB's, or calling a shove with K5s. If he's consistantly making that sort of money per year, perhaps he might be on to something?

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys ever thought about playing a SNG without looking at your hole cards. Seen a few vids lately and read a few blog posts (Yes Bwammo, your post) and thought it would be fun/interesting to try. Might make a video, would any of you guys watch it? I'd have something covering my screen like a piece of paper or those sticky things(not sure of the name :p). Probably doing silly stuff like folding KK to a shove, but will be funny nonetheless. Thoughts?

That would be a blast. I think though it have to be cash or MTT. With STT isn't a lot of the shoves we make for value? And we probably couldn't do much early; optimal strategy if we can't see our cards would probably be to fold till we're short.

I reckon I'll give this a shot. I have lots of ATC but if I single table and focus on others tendencies I may pick up on some more ATC spots.

I think with 6 max cash we could call people raises with the intentions of floating and all sorts of creative plays. In a MTT we could do the same early, mix it with some 3-bet shoves mid game and play a nitty push game late.

Maybe a $11 180 SnG would be best?

Cards are overrated

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps, i'll try a STT tonight and see how it turns out, if not, perhaps a 45 man, i havent played much MTT of late, i definitely miss a lot of spots, so i'd rather do something i'm pretty sure i can beat.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm also tempted to do this tonight playing my normal $6 45 game and make a video of it. I'll probably do it within the fortnight though as there's a bunch of concepts I want to go over

i definitely miss a lot of spots

The great thing about doing this is you will discover a bunch of spots. But still, playing a game that you play will be most beneficial

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ran hot today. November 2, Up $27 from $2.25 sngs, 20 games. Up 12 buy-ins. Now, i gotta wish this happens every single day. May god be with me. also achieved 50 ftps for silver. 1 day down, 19 days more to go.............

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there any kind of software I can use that would let me blank my hole cards without otherwise affecting things? I'd rather not just put a sticky note on my monitor.

I do think I will try this in a 2/180 or something. See how my play changes on familiar turf.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agh I'm waking up in five hours :(

I had the whole day off today from class (election day!) but only fit in one session, which went pretty poorly tbh. Spent 12 hours working on school today though, 8 of it on a project where we're designing a new model for the Trans Alaskan Pipeline System (wtf), the last 4 hours doing Organic Chemistry homework related to elimination and substitution reactions (barf). Wayyy too much work, there's not enough hours in the day to get it all done, not to mention play some pokahsss.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ran hot today. November 2, Up $27 from $2.25 sngs, 20 games. Up 12 buy-ins. Now, i gotta wish this happens every single day. May god be with me. also achieved 50 ftps for silver. 1 day down, 19 days more to go.............

Grats on your good day.

With 50 ftps for 20 days you will get bronze. For Silver need 50 points for 25 days or 125ftps for 20 days.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agh I'm waking up in five hours :(

I had the whole day off today from class (election day!) but only fit in one session, which went pretty poorly tbh. Spent 12 hours working on school today though, 8 of it on a project where we're designing a new model for the Trans Alaskan Pipeline System (wtf), the last 4 hours doing Organic Chemistry homework related to elimination and substitution reactions (barf). Wayyy too much work, there's not enough hours in the day to get it all done, not to mention play some pokahsss.
LOL, im so glad pass those days long time ago, after time you start to wonder wtf have some things that are teached to real life.

I have some troubles today to can play much too, play a set early but can´t get back in time later to play other session and count like today, i start playing 9pm pacific so Fulltilt is 12Et (wednesday), so i get screw and points for iron man count for tomorrow, meaning already have 1 missing day.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man i think i played a 25 min bubble session in a 3.40 STT. Felt like forever. I was doing pretty good at accumulating chips but my stack was always fluctuating. The short stack got mad lucky to double up. I had some failed blind steal attempts that i had to fold to. The Loose/passive player was the chip leader, and was able to bluff him off alot of pots that helped maintain my chip stack but the other 2 were decent TAG players. SB shoved into me and i called with A8o only for his 77 to hold. I just dont know how to play these marathon like bubble situations. I am usually always the one to go out.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was thinking of the girl who took down a 180 SNG without looking at her hole cards (don't know her name, european pro that's only like 19). When I first heard that I just thought it was stupid sick...at this point I kind of think I could almost do it if I tried enough of them.

That 19 year old European girl is none other than Annette Obrestadt, probably the best female poker player in the world (bar Dakota :) )

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That 19 year old European girl is none other than Annette Obrestadt, probably the best female poker player in the world (bar Dakota :) )

...or Jennifer Harman. But yeah, Annette is pretty good at the pokers

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
okay, here's a stupid question that's been beaten to death, I'm sure. You're on the first hand of a $2 9-man SNG, the action folds to you in the hijack and you have 33. Limp/raise/fold? Any difference if we're in the CO? What if it's a $24?

One of my goals for the month is to take the extra second to think about each hand before I get involved in it. I wanna really make sure I have a good reason for doing what I'm doing, and that I have a plan for the hand. I've dropped the number of tables I'm playing to help me do this. So I really hope that whenever I get the chance to play this month I learn a lot from each set I play.

ps: adjusting to the $2's are hard, lol, I'm gonna need a couple of sets to get into these.

I'd fold this in a $2 game and raise it in a $24. In $2 games I find too many players will call behind and 33 just doesn't flop too well. But in a $24 game I think players will respect your raises more and are less likely to flat your pfr. Making it easy to fold to their 3bet.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nov. goals

1. iron ironman medal.
2. move totally up to $20s by end of month.
3. have 2 coaching sessions.
4. post 4 hands this month and comment on 8.
5. mark more hands during session and review them.
6. try to average over 500ftps for this month.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20 sngs, 2 hours, down 1 buy-in. nice way to waste my time............at least i got 50 ftps though.......................

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i came across yet another leaky spot of mine. we're on the bubble, im hardly 3rd in chips but 2nd in chips is in the bb. I wake up with KK in the SB. Im only 100 or so above 4th place chip stack. It folds to me and its just me and the BB. I see a hand like this and instantly think how can i double up, which i know is wrong thinking when it comes to BvB. So i pull the rookie mistake and min-raise. I'll leave the rest of the hand out cause i feel like Preflop was my biggest mistake. how do i get myself out of this poor decision making process when i finally wake up with a hand and it folds to me. After reviewing the hand i know a shove is the best play, if he has a hand to call with awesome, if he does not alright i pick up the blinds, but i fail to think this way when playing.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20 sngs, 2 hours, down 1 buy-in. nice way to waste my time............at least i got 50 ftps though.......................

...aaahhh, what I'd give for results that good at the moment :rolleyes:

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hm, poker goals for the month...sure I'll do that:

450 of the $55+5 9-mans on FTP
12-16 live tournaments(in vegas)
40 hours of coaching
2 DTB vids

As for the playing without lookin' at ur cards idea, yes it's a reaaaaaaally good thing to test out. Even the really tight folks who try it will start opening up a little more.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for the playing without lookin' at ur cards idea, yes it's a reaaaaaaally good thing to test out. Even the really tight folks who try it will start opening up a little more.

Have you ever tried doing this live?

Hmm I'll post my goals too:

no particular order:

1. Play AT LEAST 500 games, ideally 1000(that won't happen though)
2. Work out how much edge I should be looking for in SnG wiz to develop a cEV pushing chart. Print/laminate it and take them everywhere I go till I memorize it. Maybe pin them up in the shower/make them my wall paper lol, the nerd transformation is coming strong
3. Work out how AFq should influence my plays. Work out variance in sample size with HUD stats. Add more stats to my HUD
4. Work out how often opponents have to fold when shoving over there limps/raises pre
5. Work out the relationship between implied odds, stack sizes and different hands. Use this knowledge to create a preflop raising formula based on stack size and limpers;
6. Somehow get Hjalper working on my mac. My current set-up is costing me too much $$ Get my 2nd monitor going
7. Get a ebook reader(computer is straining my eyes and buying the books is more $$) and read Kill Everyone, Harrington on Hold'em vol.3, Advanced tournament strategies
8. Play some deep stack cash in preparation for the $100 live 1000BB deep MTT coming up. Work out if a small ball approach is optimal for this format
9. Play a SnG without looking at my cards. Maybe make a video of it. Maybe even do it at a live freeroll too but that may be impossible, they may just shove on me realising I'm not looking at my cards.
10. Work out the pokerstars tournament schedules. Try to identify any patterns. Figure out when the Sunday Millon is on(different time zones) Work out which ones are particularly soft and start playing them every week, maybe play satellites for the bigger ones
11. Develop a better routine. Getting up at sunrise is draining me. Whenever I go out my sleep cycle screws up for the next few days, making me not motivated to play poker and play poorly when I do so. Back to my Psychology text books.
12. Go over a few things with Bwammo. Must do it casually though, don't want to bug him.
13. Watch the remaining videos by Jonathan Little. Figure out the deal with that Lipo Fund video
14. Read a ton of online articles I've saved
15. Develop a short handed language for note taking. Make a colour tab system. Ask Wizzim about the new note taking software he mentioned

Wow big list. Probably being too ambitious to think I can do that it a month

Last edited: