Moving up - hitting the $0.55 MTTs on PS: Recommendations?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ouch. saw merchanti hit his 4s. Bad way to go out
yea,been running bad on PP for awhile now,,gotta ride it out is all;) Things gotta turn around sometime:) Back to Stars! he he (playing the $5.50 Pro-Ko if ya wanna rail that one in 15 mins,,i`ll start a rail thread for that one,maybe?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd again say what I said in your other thread as well.
You have to make cash or sit n gos your primary poker game to move up to places.
How many successful mtt'ers do you see in the current game that just plays mtt's? Only a very few & still they buy & sell action to reduce variance.
It's a very frustrating road just playing mtt's.

And I also believe you are playing too much on the conservative side. Good brm is needed but you need to take risks to get bigger rewards.

And ditching the lowest level tourneys is another thing I'd say as I did before. Play 50/60 cent sattys to bigger games with that brm.

Your life would be a hell of a lot easy if you pick up cash or sit n gos.
Not the 45/90 man ones. Try 1 dollar 6 max or 9 max ones. When you become good at it you can build up your br consistently with some scores occasionally from mtts.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea,been running bad on PP for awhile now,,gotta ride it out is all;) Things gotta turn around sometime:) Back to Stars! he he (playing the $5.50 Pro-Ko if ya wanna rail that one in 15 mins,,i`ll start a rail thread for that one,maybe?

Maybe I'll join you 😎

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hm i would recomend 1.1 KO tourneys... It is above your BRM but i think you can risk bigger buyin on those since only two bounties brings you half buyin so no need to ATM, also if you finish in top 3-5% you will probably make 2-3x more than doing it on regular MTT... Also on those tourneys i find players most fishy and overplaying hands for bounty, so if you are low with stack pretty good chance to come back if you are patient enough and ofc little bit lucky not to get beaten by trash hand looking for your bounty!! If you decide to go with your plan you can maybe ask for 33$ stake and sell 50% of 30 tourneys you will play and that way it will cost you those 0.55... Now i am broke but in begg of next month i would be glad to help, and teryk is always here for those small stakes! ;)

Last edited:
darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd again say what I said in your other thread as well.
You have to make cash or sit n gos your primary poker game to move up to places.
How many successful mtt'ers do you see in the current game that just plays mtt's? Only a very few & still they buy & sell action to reduce variance.
It's a very frustrating road just playing mtt's.

And I also believe you are playing too much on the conservative side. Good brm is needed but you need to take risks to get bigger rewards.

The best way to combat the variance is simply increasing volume. E.g. In 2016 I racked up 4886 MTTs @ 8.02% ITM at PP. The ITM is really skewed because there is a chunk of $0.01c sats that pay only the top 2-4 places in a 100+ player field that bloats the #s. Adjusted ITM is actually at 19.33% against 1,790 MTTs. I put in a solid 7 months worth of MTTing last year. This averages to approx 8-9 MTTs/day (ex the $0.01 Sats). Ref here.

My strengths are MTTs. My ITM% is actually above avg. given the volume. My problems with the PS has been the slim to non offerings available in the form of micro tourneys (e.g. $0.11/$0.22 MTTs). If there were options like this earlier I would've been able to hit $50 in about a month and a half. I managed to run a $0.80 BR to $90 in PP in the span of 3 weeks because they had $0.11 rebuys at the time.

See there's a bit of an oxymoron there. I already know that aggressive 30BIs and regular 50BIs. Folks recommend sticking to these BRs and sell action to reduce variance. I can forgo this by enforcing a 100BI rule. There are a number of valid reasons in this case to stick to a 100BI standard in my case:

• I have a well known history of tilting hard. I've been very candid about it from my first post in CC. And two forms of tilt. Both the frustration and the loss in confidence tilts. This has drastically improved in practice from setting more realistic expectations and reading up on the subject matter though.
  • The player fields are 1k+ (min $600 Gtd will require a 1200 player pool). I'm used to playing player fields of 400-800. Variance will be a bitch
And ditching the lowest level tourneys is another thing I'd say as I did before. Play 50/60 cent sattys to bigger games with that brm.
You do realise that Sats tend to pay 10% of the field as opposed to the more regular 15% for MTTs? Mathematically you have a greater propensity to cash more frequently in MTTs as opposed to Satellites. Mind you, you've got to first get in the 10% to qualify and then cash in 15%. Plus you've also got to make adjustments to the gameplay because of the disparity of stacks and blinds/ante levels from sat play to MTT.

I grinded a healthy bankroll playing donkfests (smaller fields though) on party in the $0.22 and $0.55 tourneys there. I'm only applying the same experience here.

I'm also used to multi-tabling 3 MTTs a min at a time. I've actually felt very lethargic at the rate of play I've committed till today. After announcing thread yesterday I played 4 MTTs (min 3 tabling) and cashed in all 4. This is an outlier of an example. But the tendency to cash more frequently and run deep is directly proportional to how frequently I grind and multi table.

Your life would be a hell of a lot easy if you pick up cash or sit n gos.
Not the 45/90 man ones. Try 1 dollar 6 max or 9 max ones. When you become good at it you can build up your br consistently with some scores occasionally from mtts.
Cash games is where I tilted my bankroll off (twice because I'm too stupid to learn from the first mistake). I've come a long way but have got to put in more time to improving cash game play and tilt control. Right now I'm improving on my MTT game.

I used to play all those variations of SNGs in 2013 and I was a losing player. I will need to put in time and practice. I'm reading up on Sit N Gos atm and have a private mini challenge planned in the next month or 2. I will be incorporating this in my game.

My SNG BR ( and eventual Cash BR) will be funded by the MTT cashes as opposed to your recommendation though ;)

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Alucard - If you want I can set up another daily progress thread as an experiment to see this this will really work or not. Heck, maybe we incorporate a few challenges till the end of the year. If I fail I take up cash/SNGs from the first day of next year.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hm i would recomend 1.1 KO tourneys... It is above your BRM but i think you can risk bigger buyin on those since only two bounties brings you half buyin so no need to ATM, also if you finish in top 3-5% you will probably make 2-3x more than doing it on regular MTT... Also on those tourneys i find players most fishy and overplaying hands for bounty, so if you are low with stack pretty good chance to come back if you are patient enough and ofc little bit lucky not to get beaten by trash hand looking for your bounty!! If you decide to go with your plan you can maybe ask for 33$ stake and sell 50% of 30 tourneys you will play and that way it will cost you those 0.55... Now i am broke but in begg of next month i would be glad to help, and teryk is always here for those small stakes! ;)

It's good on paper but the bounties are where I'm weakest in all MTTs atm. I've had 2 deep runs in bounties 96/6108 (fell asleep at the 250 mark and got blinded out) and yesterday's 189/2567. Impressive? No. Because I made both those deep runs without one bounty. Yes completely bountiless :confused:

Now that I'm getting more into bounties and will be figuring this out I'm sure i'll work out just like you said it will.

Staking is definitely out of the question. Heck I wouldn't stake myself even and would give myself a negative recommendation based on my results so far. I will need to have a longer & better track record before I get into it.

Honestly I'm happy I'm at this point because now I can put in the volume. I actually needed more help when I began to make this BR because the options for MTTs were so limited at the time. I am happy now and expect to kick some @$$! :thrasher:

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend a small stake say $10-$20,,i`m sure you could sell that much,Dims(just on likeability)i would be in for 50% for sure,I think it would be fun,:joyman: At 15-20 tournys,you get 1 FT and we`re golden$,like you said,work on your game,focus on your strengths and give it a shot in a few weeks. (sometimes stakes are about having fun and maybe helping out a friend at the same time and i`m more than cool with that:D) Let`s Do Itttttttt!!!! :thrasher:all up to u bro. Jus thought i`d throw it up there;)

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a bunch mate. I don't expect a lot of success initially (especially with the bounties) but I'll remember any and all advice given. Will help in sticking to the game plan during long dry spells :)

Bounty tourneys take some getting used to indeed, the most important thing is to adjust your calling ranges when someone shoves. You want to call with a wider range since part of the prize money is (unsurprisingly) in bounties.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Alucard - If you want I can set up another daily progress thread as an experiment to see this this will really work or not. Heck, maybe we incorporate a few challenges till the end of the year. If I fail I take up cash/SNGs from the first day of next year.

I'm up for a challenge. But not to prove a point but to improve both of our game :)
I'm currently grinding until I reach $150 at each site. But committed my roll for some tourneys & took some hits.
If you want lets set up a challenge. But I got some exams coming & I'm not entirely feeling good these days.
Come up with something & I'll think about it & tell you in a few days :)

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend a small stake say $10-$20,,i`m sure you could sell that much,Dims(just on likeability)i would be in for 50% for sure,I think it would be fun,:joyman: At 15-20 tournys,you get 1 FT and we`re golden$,like you said,work on your game,focus on your strengths and give it a shot in a few weeks. (sometimes stakes are about having fun and maybe helping out a friend at the same time and i`m more than cool with that:D) Let`s Do Itttttttt!!!! :thrasher:all up to u bro. Jus thought i`d throw it up there;)

You know I'm honestly grateful to you and Ronaldo for offering. But I can't afford to risk anyone else's money atm. It's a psychological burden that might affect my gameplay. It might work in the reverse too: keep me motivated, more focused and more diligent about following a more improved sked. I can't take that risk dude.

Besides, I'm new to large MTT fields like in PS. Off to a good start so far but will feel more confident about taking a stake if I handle myself well during a downswing. If I can avoid the signs for tilt that I'm on the lookout for and play responsibly (as in stick to volume and schedule) then I will seriously consider a stake.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bounty tourneys take some getting used to indeed, the most important thing is to adjust your calling ranges when someone shoves. You want to call with a wider range since part of the prize money is (unsurprisingly) in bounties.

That's the problem I'm facing atm. Factoring in the monetary value as part of the EV calculations we use in regular MTTs. Honestly haven't done specific research to bounties and will be doing this tomorrow (day off poker today).

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm up for a challenge. But not to prove a point but to improve both of our game :)
I'm currently grinding until I reach $150 at each site. But committed my roll for some tourneys & took some hits.
If you want lets set up a challenge. But I got some exams coming & I'm not entirely feeling good these days.
Come up with something & I'll think about it & tell you in a few days :)

Yea, it was just and idea at the time. Drawing blanks atm. Will let you know.

First thoughts: targets shouldn't be (only?) monetary. They should involve other KPIs. Could be a combination of ITM and ROI. I'm going to draw some ideas from the embedded vid. Third time I'm posting this vid in a thread :rolleyes:

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sound reasoning,Dims. Cheers,Bratha! :top:

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good on paper but the bounties are where I'm weakest in all MTTs atm. I've had 2 deep runs in bounties 96/6108 (fell asleep at the 250 mark and got blinded out) and yesterday's 189/2567. Impressive? No. Because I made both those deep runs without one bounty. Yes completely bountiless :confused:

Now that I'm getting more into bounties and will be figuring this out I'm sure i'll work out just like you said it will.

Staking is definitely out of the question. Heck I wouldn't stake myself even and would give myself a negative recommendation based on my results so far. I will need to have a longer & better track record before I get into it.

Honestly I'm happy I'm at this point because now I can put in the volume. I actually needed more help when I began to make this BR because the options for MTTs were so limited at the time. I am happy now and expect to kick some @$$! :thrasher:
If you were 96th withouth bounty, you are to tight for MTTs in general... Money is on FT of MTTs, and by playing tightly you might have good % ATM but not sure its profitable enough... I would recomend 0.5$ SNGs 90 players for start, then 180 and 360... After that small field MTTs... Do you play any of pokerschool leagues?? There is free (altough i would recomend buying university ticket for 3.3$ and have 52 good tourneys to practice and it looks to me that tight player like you would easily win 20$ there) place for practice... If you have time to play it...

bahajan

bahajan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
constantly playing with 0.55c, the prizes get not always, but with 0.27c in prizes constantly

M

mabeyta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Question. I myself am in this position as well. But playing BetOnline. Wish I could do pokerstars but not available for US players. BetOnline doesn't have PKO tourneys for micros stakes. Good Luck to you!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were 96th withouth bounty, you are to tight for MTTs in general... Money is on FT of MTTs, and by playing tightly you might have good % ATM but not sure its profitable enough... I would recomend 0.5$ SNGs 90 players for start, then 180 and 360... After that small field MTTs... Do you play any of pokerschool leagues?? There is free (altough i would recomend buying university ticket for 3.3$ and have 52 good tourneys to practice and it looks to me that tight player like you would easily win 20$ there) place for practice... If you have time to play it...

I agree. I am playing tighter than I should for bounties. Goal is to play tight for bounties but not the nitty way I'm doing atm. The strategy is to chip up and pick off sizeable bounties in the later stages. I did this in varying degrees of success in some PKOs in 2013. And I was definitely on the way to that when I fell asleep during the 96th placing (think it was 4am at the time). It was fun seeing stacks with chips half of mine with 3-5 times more bounty values on their heads.

I am playing the league atm. 2nd month in the Masters (grinded from elementary in May). More than half my BR is from league cashes.

Great Question. I myself am in this position as well. But playing BetOnline. Wish I could do pokerstars but not available for US players. BetOnline doesn't have PKO tourneys for micros stakes. Good Luck to you!

Thanks! And to you too! :D

constantly playing with 0.55c, the prizes get not always, but with 0.27c in prizes constantly

I remember looking at the 0.27c MTTs. I didn't play them because they were hypers and I'm restricting my play to normals and turbos. Me, I miss more than I hit @ hypers. LOL

Ref screenshot. These are the ones you're referring to I'm guessing.

Attachments

• 170922_027 hypers.jpg
    170922_027 hypers.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 40
terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ugg,,those 27ct games are = to a betonline freeroll,,,very fast n loose :eek:

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. I am playing tighter than I should for bounties. Goal is to play tight for bounties but not the nitty way I'm doing atm. The strategy is to chip up and pick off sizeable bounties in the later stages. I did this in varying degrees of success in some PKOs in 2013. And I was definitely on the way to that when I fell asleep during the 96th placing (think it was 4am at the time). It was fun seeing stacks with chips half of mine with 3-5 times more bounty values on their heads.

I am playing the league atm. 2nd month in the Masters (grinded from elementary in May). More than half my BR is from league cashes.

Thanks! And to you too! :D

I remember looking at the 0.27c MTTs. I didn't play them because they were hypers and I'm restricting my play to normals and turbos. Me, I miss more than I hit @ hypers. LOL

Ref screenshot. These are the ones you're referring to I'm guessing.
Any luck in masters? I mean to cash? You might consider moving down to university intentionaly, field is so soft there, much easier to cash...