Moving up - hitting the $0.55 MTTs on PS: Recommendations?

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, that's where my last cash was ($20). Master's is difficult. Plus I'm still not completely used to the Master's schedule. I just retained my place last month but only played 38 games. This month is slightly better but I'm aiming for a min cash next month.

I prefer masters since I prefer longer game formats. Small difference compared to Uni (10 min blind/ante vs 8 mins) but it is better. More manoeuvrability for short stack play if things go south or you're card dead.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wel format and time is whats bothering me... Only 4 tourneys a day, long ones... Also no real poker except in start because all start stalling for points, so it becomes shove/fold fest... So i rather chose shorter one with more tourneys and much softer field.... Anyway good luck, maybe we will meet there...

Last edited:
darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A game can go on for 5 hours+, which may be the reason they have one every 6 hours. Notice how every uni game ends under 4 hours.

I've found a good variety of play styles so far. Sometimes a table full of nits and other times some really aggressive and speculative play in the early stages. Some really good LAG players here that I'm still getting used to.

But what is really cool is that the $0.55 tourneys I've played so far seem to be pretty soft and easy. Getting ITM isn't much of a challenge. I'm attributing it to all the practice I've had at the leagues. Masters and below.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A game can go on for 5 hours+, which may be the reason they have one every 6 hours. Notice how every uni game ends under 4 hours.

I've found a good variety of play styles so far. Sometimes a table full of nits and other times some really aggressive and speculative play in the early stages. Some really good LAG players here that I'm still getting used to.

But what is really cool is that the $0.55 tourneys I've played so far seem to be pretty soft and easy. Getting ITM isn't much of a challenge. I'm attributing it to all the practice I've had at the leagues. Masters and below.
They go on for 5 hours because people stall for points... Compare it with CC freeroll tournament... They last around 3.20 with 180 players, masters with little bit more lasts 5 hours... If they shorten move time (which was my only idea on survey they had), it would take around 4 hours... I mean around bubble hand lasts 3mins with no flop seen... If they just do that tourneys would be shorter, and there would be much more play, this way blinds force you in shove/fold mode because of stalling... Also then there would be possible to make at least 5 if not 6 tourneys a day... Ofc pokerstars didn't want to improve game, they just looked for a way to take $ from players with less $ given in leagues and survey was just excuse... I am glad if you are doing well, hopefuly you will be on 1.1 level soon (i can asure you that its pretty much same field quality there ;) )

Last edited:
J

joshua360

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournament suggestions

I'm not an axpert, and I usually don't follow my own advice. But I have two suggestions. First is once you have decided on the one you want to play, just play the one. Don't get sidetracked playing any other tables, anywhere. Even stay away from sending friends text messages or answering phone calls. Second is, no matter how long you last in the tourney, call it a day when you are out. Cash or no cash, just call it a day and come back the following day to take another swing at it.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not an axpert, and I usually don't follow my own advice. But I have two suggestions. First is once you have decided on the one you want to play, just play the one. Don't get sidetracked playing any other tables, anywhere. Even stay away from sending friends text messages or answering phone calls. Second is, no matter how long you last in the tourney, call it a day when you are out. Cash or no cash, just call it a day and come back the following day to take another swing at it.

Still a valid recommendation. I'm treating it, from now atleast, as I would a full time job. Daily targets, play and study schedules. No effing around. In fact, I should stay away from the CC forum while I play, which I'm not atm. When I began I was playing one table only for the first 3 months atleast. Multi-table now because a lot of the decisions are automated.

They go on for 5 hours because people stall for points... Compare it with CC freeroll tournament... They last around 3.20 with 180 players, masters with little bit more lasts 5 hours... If they shorten move time (which was my only idea on survey they had), it would take around 4 hours... I mean around bubble hand lasts 3mins with no flop seen... If they just do that tourneys would be shorter, and there would be much more play, this way blinds force you in shove/fold mode because of stalling... Also then there would be possible to make at least 5 if not 6 tourneys a day... Ofc pokerstars didn't want to improve game, they just looked for a way to take $ from players with less $ given in leagues and survey was just excuse... I am glad if you are doing well, hopefuly you will be on 1.1 level soon (i can asure you that its pretty much same field quality there ;) )

I didn't get hat impression from the games I've played at the masters so far because I have seen a lot of loose play in the early stages. And from good players too IMO, which is why I'm not doing that well atm. They are doing a good job at exploiting my play so far. Opinion may change as I continue plugging away at the Masters games though.

I decided to compare the levels at which of both the masters and uni game ended, from 4 games yesterday. Two of each but with similar player fields. It's interesting. Both the Masters examples were under 5 hours in length. But the levels they ended @ were similar.

Attachments

• 170922_Masters-Uni comparison.jpg
    170922_Masters-Uni comparison.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 32
Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, make a note about tournament, and time to ATM if play now and in begg of month.. Now a lot of players play for fun (not big chance to do something), so people play faster, less stall... I am not talking about they being tight, i am saying when they are close to points they take all time possible to take a move... I have played premier as i said, tourneys were with similar number of players and it took around 5.15-5.30 to finish but with 2500 starting stack... And there was much stalling too.. I mean you play normal tourneys and league, you realy don't notice a difference in hand time close to ATM??

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, make a note about tournament, and time to ATM if play now and in begg of month.. Now a lot of players play for fun (not big chance to do something), so people play faster, less stall... I am not talking about they being tight, i am saying when they are close to points they take all time possible to take a move... I have played premier as i said, tourneys were with similar number of players and it took around 5.15-5.30 to finish but with 2500 starting stack... And there was much stalling too.. I mean you play normal tourneys and league, you realy don't notice a difference in hand time close to ATM??

K, gotcha. I understood it as play during the entire MTT. Yes, I've noticed it too. There is a quite a bit of stalling at the money bubble. But not everyone realises that the money bubble is not equal to the point bubble. Loose play resumes shortly after hand for hand and it's easy to get min points if you've got the shortest stack after the hand for hand period.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you already started a friend, created a plan, know the difficulties, now just apply this, and every day study to better understand these big field, and you would evolve your game for sure!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the vote of confidence bud :D

I'm reading up on your post on taking notes. I missed it when it was initially posted. Looks very helpful so far :)

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
friend many congratulations for your achievements and if I played many times these tournaments but only managed to add a few dollars also I lack some advice ...

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your best wishes :)

So far so good but this is only the beginning. The road ahead is a long one. :)

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a lot like you, and in a similar situation. Building a bankroll and my best edge by far is MTT's right now. I'm good at STT's, ok at cash, but way better at tourneys.
Good luck on your journey. May we both make our goals!!! cheers

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For building bankroll though, my thought was, KO Bounty tournaments have too much gamble and variance for a weak bankroll. They look fun, but I've avoided those so far until I've built up more of a cushion.
I watch the pro streamers play them all the time though, they look fun.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning, I recommend you play a satellite of 0.22 which is KO and the prize is an entry to the tournament 2.2 that is also KO. you would be playing cheap and if you eliminate 6 players and recover the entry. to me it has given me positive results.

good luck at the tables

Revisited this thread to give you a huge thanks. I wouldn't have tried the .22 PKO if it wasn't for your suggestion. This is probably the best satellite type out there.

PokerStars Tournament #2054492528, No Limit Hold'em
Super Satellite
Buy-In: $0.12/$0.08/$0.02 USD
492 players
Total Prize Pool: $98.40 USD
Target Tournament #2054489378 Buy-In: $2.20 USD
26 tickets to the target tournament

Tournament started 2017/10/05 23:02:00 CUST [2017/10/05 15:02:00 ET]

Dear darthdimsky,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. You qualified to play in Tournament #2054489378 and are automatically registered for it. See Tournament #2054489378 Lobby for further details.

If you choose to unregister from this tournament your account will be credited with T-USD 2.20. Tournament US Dollars can be used to buy into any tournament. Visit our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/ for more details.

You have also received USD 1.74 in Knockout Bounties for this tournament. You won bounties for the following players: JuVArteM, uv93, franc para, iolay sibir, kaiser345, akella168, Timurmalia, MazZza_76, LFC^ZFC, tolyaz, valchev76, darthdimsky
Note: As you won the tournament, you also won your own bounty.

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

For building bankroll though, my thought was, KO Bounty tournaments have too much gamble and variance for a weak bankroll. They look fun, but I've avoided those so far until I've built up more of a cushion.
I watch the pro streamers play them all the time though, they look fun.

Just noticed this reply. I only play two PKO bounties atm, including the $0.22 SAT. Still adjusting. But I have one or two min cashes after starting this thread and am getting the hang of it. It's not as difficult once I'm able to put in a decent # of hands as practice. My overall results for regular MTTs are also improving just now because I've finally gotten the hang of big player fields.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Revisited this thread to give you a huge thanks. I wouldn't have tried the .22 PKO if it wasn't for your suggestion. This is probably the best satellite type out there.

PokerStars Tournament #2054492528, No Limit Hold'em
Super Satellite
Buy-In: $0.12/$0.08/$0.02 USD
492 players
Total Prize Pool: $98.40 USD
Target Tournament #2054489378 Buy-In: $2.20 USD
26 tickets to the target tournament

Tournament started 2017/10/05 23:02:00 CUST [2017/10/05 15:02:00 ET]

Dear darthdimsky,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. You qualified to play in Tournament #2054489378 and are automatically registered for it. See Tournament #2054489378 Lobby for further details.

If you choose to unregister from this tournament your account will be credited with T-USD 2.20. Tournament US Dollars can be used to buy into any tournament. Visit our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/ for more details.

You have also received USD 1.74 in Knockout Bounties for this tournament. You won bounties for the following players: JuVArteM, uv93, franc para, iolay sibir, kaiser345, akella168, Timurmalia, MazZza_76, LFC^ZFC, tolyaz, valchev76, darthdimsky

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

Just noticed this reply. I only play two PKO bounties atm, including the $0.22 SAT. Still adjusting. But I have one or two min cashes after starting this thread and am getting the hang of it. It's not as difficult once I'm able to put in a decent # of hands as practice. My overall results for regular MTTs are also improving just now because I've finally gotten the hang of big player fields.

Yeah, they look like a blast but BRM-wise I’m not ready for those. Also, I don’t have a strategy to make money yet for those. Im definitely not saying there aren’t strategies for them, I just don’t have that skill yet.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dear darthdimsky,

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.[/I]

Way to go, Darth! Keep 'em scores coming. :top:

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ITM, 7% player field remaining. 47bb stack. NO BOUNTY! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• 171019_PKO.jpg
    171019_PKO.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 8
PolacoW81

PolacoW81

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheap tournaments ...

I like the 16-player hyper satellite tournaments that happen for all Hot, The Big and Bounty Builder tournaments (highlighted in red on the PS grid). For example it is possible to enter a tournament of 4.40 by 0.60 cents (2 seats in 16).

Good luck buddy!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the 16-player hyper satellite tournaments that happen for all Hot, The Big and Bounty Builder tournaments (highlighted in red on the PS grid). For example it is possible to enter a tournament of 4.40 by 0.60 cents (2 seats in 16).

Good luck buddy!

I try to avoid hypers but that is still a very valid option. TYVM for the suggestion and well wishes. Good luck to you too :D

PolacoW81

PolacoW81

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I thought so too. But it was the best way I found to be able to play more expensive tournaments. Good luck there too!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you tried the MTT turbo satellites? They usually charge 10% of the entry fee. So that would be $0.44 for the $4.40 MTT. I've found better success through sats that the $0.55 buy-ins honestly. And that's mainly because of the PKO formats I try and satty into. The $0.22 Sat mentioned earlier is really fantastic and that's because you have the chance of profiting from the Sat too. If you qualify you also get your bounty so that's a big plus.