Late buy in advantage?

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the early games as that's where fish are still in the game :)

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, because late-comers don't have much time to accumulate chips. You usually have to play all-in or fold early because the blinds have already risen. If you are still there at the beginning, the blinds are often small and the stacks of chips larger. You can play patiently, wait for good cards and slowly accumulate chips.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to start at the beginning as much as possible unless somehow I lost track of the starting time of a tournament I want to play. What is the point on joininig a tournament if your starting stack is already half the average, and the blind sizes will probably drain you dry in about 10 orbits?

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the early games as that's where fish are still in the game :)

Unless you're playing in super high rollers online, you're going to run into players who play badly at all stages of a tournament and there's always going to be time to accumulate chips from them. However, when there are more of these types of players, the variance may be higher as well, as they will tend to play sub-optimally and are willing to do things like go broke with just 1 pair.

So, while you have opportunities to accumulate chips, you also have to understand that you are potentially playing in more volatile spots.

No, because late-comers don't have much time to accumulate chips. You usually have to play all-in or fold early because the blinds have already risen. If you are still there at the beginning, the blinds are often small and the stacks of chips larger. You can play patiently, wait for good cards and slowly accumulate chips.

Your strategy will differ depending on how late you actually register. If you are registering VERY late where you might have 10 big blinds, then push/fold strategy is your only option. But in a lot of instances, even if you register late, you will have plenty of chips to start, relative to the blind levels. That means you don't have to panic and feel like you have to catch up.

The one tournament you should never late register is a Progressive Knockout as you lose out on equity that you can never get back.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the buybacks are unlimited I enter late, if they are not like that then I prefer to start.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, late buy-in's after a long registration period tends to put the player at a disadvantage. I say that because you are coming in with the same starting chipstack but you are facing blinds that are bigger and players with more chips than you.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that yes, there is a lot of advantage, it is difficult for a player to stay in a tournament without buying back, because he does not have a good bank, I think that in this aspect there is a lot of advantage, also in the add-on if you do not have to do it there is also advantage...

poker is like the sea, you should not go into such deep waters...

A

alge0815

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advantage or Disadvantage

I think it is better to join a tournament earlier to see a lot of hands for a little amount of chips. So you can choose wich hands you wanna play. Otherwise when you enter a tournament just in time before closing the entering you have not many opportunities to take a look to the flop. Probably you have to decide for one hand and this is then your only chance to stay in the tournament. Perhaps the strategy of entering late will work sometimes and come into the money but then it is hard to get price ranges up.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think play from the start gives you an advantage. Small blinds, you can play a lot of hands, gain stack. And the field is weaker in the beginning. There are more strong players in the end of late registration periods.
Late reg is ok only for freerolls when you don't mind to gamble and push your leftover chips soon.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love to late the micros when most players have already been eliminated. The good news is you've already beat all those players and you haven't started yet! The bad news is you need a double or tripple up. But hey, it's a micro and that's what rebuys are for. :)

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on ACR/BCP

sometimes they have 3 or 4 hour late registration for the 2 , 3 , 4 buck MTT . i cant see spending 5 to 6 hours trying to win 5 to 10 bucks , so i like to enter really really late . often so many people have already busted that the bubble is close . youre stuck with a tiny stack , and its usually shove or fold at that point , but at least youve got a good chance to cash .

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Late

late buy in is definitely better, you have a better chance to get into bubble, already many have lost their steak and then play passively

M

marcrues

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes i do a really late buy in on tournament $10 or less and just play them like a hyper turbo.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A late buy in advantage is many players already eliminated(freezout) mais you are at disadvantage in chips

PatValShark

PatValShark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great concepts, and depending on the stacks, if lopsided to 1 or 2 players, and really late buy in, can be a profitable strategy with limited stress.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally its better to reg early and start building up our stack as soon as you can. But if your skills are weaker with deep stacks and stronger in the late stage you might be better off regging late.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fewer people to beat which puts you closer to the bubble. Works well if you are comfortable playing a short stack strategy.

S

Senator30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer playing from the start of the tourney to try and build my stack

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I am not stagnant on late buyin but as some have said, but it does have benefits. Less players which seems to help my style of play in a positive way.

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not a fan of 2-3 hour long late registration and would advise against joining if you are going to have less than 15 blinds. It will only place you at a higher variance level. I personally like to build up my chip stack and see many flops rather than to gamble preflop.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late

I do not come in late because with the blinds so high you might only have 4 hands to play the cards that's dealt :(and many time i could sit for 10 hands before i even get a face card. so what your doing is flipping a coin to double or triple up.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late

I do not come in late because with the blinds so high you might only have 4 hands to play the cards that's dealt :(and many time I could sit for 10 hands before i even get a face card. so what your doing is flipping a coin to double or triple up.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the late regs, I always watch the blind levels, even i see there are few players in given sites and tourneys, where it can be a bit worthy, whose make the late regs in the last minute, cheat the time till the money, i do not see the point, as they do not reach it always, even after, they relegate fast...
I just watched a guy like this few days ago, he registered in 8 tourneys, what i played too, in the last minute, he relegated 3 times before money, and the rest he relegated pretty fast after reached the money, so what is the point? You won't get good cards, even if you got, some high stack easily have the odds to take it down with almost any cards. You must go allin at least 1-2 times to reach the money, no point at all....

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes just wait for like 10-15 mins as I don’t like the aggressive play at the start

M

mortimccarthy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are two ways of looking at a late buy-in , One advantage is you probably have avoided the early bingo playing all-in activity that happens constantly therefore a chance to play more realistic poker but you really are looking to double up straight away because you're probably well below the average stack