KC's Rush Strategy

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been doing pretty good building mymini BR at FTP so i decided to give the 1.10 Rush tourney anoher go and i am sad to say i am now 4 loses our of 4 played in in this.

M is about 4 (I have 1700 chips or so with BB blinds at 150/300) and I wake up to QQ UTG so I shove and SB (big stack) calls. He ends up with KK and they hold up.

I gotta figure out why this strategy is not working for me. I have a feeling my middle game is not strong enough. Not sure what my stealing range is and from what positions.

It's not that the strategy isn't working, the fact is that you're going through some bad luc spells aa variance which is very normal in these. Basically we both are playing the same way, in a way, but the way we are running luc wise is different.

Thanks, my unltimate goal is to steal your thunder;)
(or at least share in it)

what thunder? :p

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man, thanks so much for this, just played a couple of these, lost in the first, but came 3rd in the second for $70. I did suck out a couple of times, being too aggressive, but I guess I can sleep safe in the knowledge, I gave them the fold equity and they didn't have monsters so I think I did ok.
Cheers!

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well KC my run of bad luck continues. I had folded relentlessly when I thought I was beat a few times. I flopped Middle Set and got check raised all in in both cases. I folded these cause i felt I ws either bhind or very close to be sucked out on. Not sure if this is the right way to play when a big stack that has three times the amount of chips shoves but it kept me alive until this.....

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 120/240 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t15155)
SB (t29585)
BB (t42270)
UTG (t12577)
Hero (UTG+1) (t12175)
MP1 (t13723)
MP2 (t15136)
MP3 (t15875)
CO (t24268)

Hero's M: 20.81

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t1065, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t1890, 5 folds, Hero raises to t12150 (All-In), MP2 calls t10260

Flop: (t24885) J
heart.gif
, Q
heart.gif
, 8
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t24885) 10
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t24885) Q
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t24885

Results:
Hero had A
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
(two pair, Aces and Queens).
MP2 had A
heart.gif
, K
club.gif
(straight, Ace high).
Outcome: MP2 won t24885

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep this just happened to me not too long ago in a rush. It happens and you are running horribly to say the least. Just keep doing what you're doing it'll hold up soon!

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KC....what do you think of folding middle set when an over card is present and the check raise (AI) play happens? In one of these cases a two flush was also present and I didn't have those suits.

Should I be going for it with middle set or was the cautious play ok? Do you think the villain is shoving with TPTK here? Or the Flush Draw even?

I will try to dig out the exact hands today to show you.

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KC....what do you think of folding middle set when an over card is present and the check raise (AI) play happens? In one of these cases a two flush was also present and I didn't have those suits.

Should I be going for it with middle set or was the cautious play ok? Do you think the villain is shoving with TPTK here? Or the Flush Draw even?

I will try to dig out the exact hands today to show you.

I would be interested in hearing some input on this as well.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well in that situation especially in lower stakes, I'm raising/shoving all day. If i get coolered by a higher set then, well it happens, Im def not folding mid set, way too passive for my style of play. Also I can't really say what the villan could have due to so many different situations and players, plus its rush so villians are harder to read early on if we dont have notes or memory on them.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in that situation especially in lower stakes, I'm raising/shoving all day. If i get coolered by a higher set then, well it happens, Im def not folding mid set, way too passive for my style of play. Also I can't really say what the villan could have due to so many different situations and players, plus its rush so villians are harder to read early on if we dont have notes or memory on them.

Based on your strategy I have become way more aggresive than I ever was and it looks like I am going to have to take it up even one more notch

Thanks for the advice

Z

Zync

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The only situation where I might fold a mid set in a rush game, is on a board with 4 of a suit where I don't have a card of that suit.

Using your strategy, so far I did 3 final table out of 8 attempts. I keep digging!

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only situation where I might fold a mid set in a rush game, is on a board with 4 of a suit where I don't have a card of that suit.

Using your strategy, so far I did 3 final table out of 8 attempts. I keep digging!

So if you have someone that re raised you pre flop come with a check raise to put you all in on the flop with a KTx board you don't give them any credit for having KK?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KC....what are your thoughts on AQo UTG and UTG+1 in an orange or yellow M-Zone? Also AQo when we have a few limpers in front of us and we are in MP?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KC....what are your thoughts on AQo UTG and UTG+1 in an orange or yellow M-Zone? Also AQo when we have a few limpers in front of us and we are in MP?

ill have to look up M zones i dont use them or do i know the colors. I do know that with the blinds higher and lower stacks i fold AQ in those positions a lot!

Z

Zync

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if you have someone that re raised you pre flop come with a check raise to put you all in on the flop with a KTx board you don't give them any credit for having KK?

Re-raise preflop is the first thing to analyse. What was your position when you raised? Were you in late position on an unopened pot? If so, the re-raise coming from a blinds doesn't show me a lot of strength. In your situation, if you have 10-10, you'll raise in any position, right? Let's say that you are UTG+1 and raise with your 10s and got re-raised by the BB, will you call or re-raise? If you elect to call, what hands that you put your opponent on? In this situation, I would put him on a big pair or AK. When the flop come and BB checks to you, this is suspicious. He re-raise preflop and now backup aggression. What hand could he now have? Does he have QQ and let you bet and want to scare you? Check-raise is way more powerful than a CBET there. He he really had KK, why would he check-raise me to scare me off the hand? So, I would call his check-raise all-in. If he was lucky enough to flop a better set than me, so be it.

Now, take the situation where you are in the cutoff in an unopened pot and this is re-raise to you by the BB, what hand will you now put your opponent on? In my case, I don't really have a clue. He can now have any hand since he probably think that your are stealing the blinds and defend it. So, in this situation, I would be very cautious for any strange 2 pairs. But since we hit a set, this is like a gift. I would be all-in in this hand except if the flop is all of the same suit.

Z

Zync

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In my case, it depends of when it is in the game. Near the bubble, this is a clear hand to be aggressive with preflop. Early in the game, I won't play it in early position in yellow but might elect to shove in orange though. You have to double up and this is a situation where you have good cards. Early on, you might get called by a weak AJ and double up. There're 4 hands that you don't want to see in opponents hand: AA, KK, QQ and AK. For me, this worth a shove when you're beginning to be short stack. Orange is between M of 5 and 10. This means approximately between 7 to 15 BB, right?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zync...you are correct on the M-Zone ranges. Thanks for the other advice as well. In the future I will certainly call the mid set if the play is the same. I took charge of the hand and he tool charge back. I got worried and didnt want to bust out so I played it way to safe.

et1961

et1961

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategy put to the test

I tried your strategies on three different occasions and cashed all three times. I find your instructions to be spot on.
Thank you so much!!:) :) :)

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've been trying to find a strategy for these, and these are the best i read so far. Thanks KC for sharing! hope to post my results here soon....

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tonight is a good night for me to do sweat sessions over team viewer. Ill be playing on UB and maybe FT tonight both regular and rush mtts....lemme know

M

manofthehour

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight aggressive at first, like waiting for good hands like ace king or ace queen or a pocket pair. Once more people lose and blinds go up you should start to play more loose aggressive calling and raising with some moderate hands and see where that takes you. Good luck and wish you the best.

imstuppid

imstuppid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
rush poker 101

whats up kc, i just realize how awful ive been playing. i hated rush poker mtt for a long time. when i saw this i fell to the floor and wanted to cry after reading it and taking a look at your videos. my thinking for rush has forever change. thanks a million, im on my way on to a rush tourney now.

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, just wanted to say that you made me register for this site :) I've been playing and winning the 4.40 ones quite a bit but your guide made me stronger I think! I'm not a very advanced poker player but I think I have quite an edge on these. My current BR is around $500, when should I move up to the $12 ones?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, just wanted to say that you made me register for this site :) I've been playing and winning the 4.40 ones quite a bit but your guide made me stronger I think! I'm not a very advanced poker player but I think I have quite an edge on these. My current BR is around $500, when should I move up to the $12 ones?

Dabble (take 1 shot, and 1 shot only) at the $11+1 games every time you win a $4+.40 game. Other than that good BRM dictates you wait till you have $1100 (actually $1200 if you count the fees). Consider that 1 shot a reward to yourself for good behavior, but don't, repeat DON'T go overboard. Another variation might be to take that 1 shot when you have placed 2nd twice, or 3rd 3 times...etc etc. The addictive nature of RUSH will eat your bankroll alive without an extra measure of self control.

If you do this right you could win the 1 shot $11+1 game and not have to worry about when for a while.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

wow thats awesome and I agree you should have a br total of 1200$ or more to play the 11$ ones. I dont mind the idea of trying one here or there either..

CheckmateYates

CheckmateYates

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great post kc! you should coach eh??? ???? come on i know you want to