KC's Rush Strategy

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you happen to know the difference in level between the 4.40 and the 12? I'm around 55% ROI atm, but that was before your guide ;) You think that I'm good enough then for the 12 when im at that BR?

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Btw, a tip for the players of these tourneys, you should when you're out scroll the hand history for big showdowns and note the players in it how they played it. You see a lot of regulars so now when I play them there are always a couple on which I have notes already :)

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you happen to know the difference in level between the 4.40 and the 12? I'm around 55% ROI atm, but that was before your guide ;) You think that I'm good enough then for the 12 when im at that BR?

There isnt much of a difference to be honest...the 26$ is where it changes, but only in aggressiveness towards the end..people steal and 3/4 bet a lot more in the 26$.

what BR? you never stated your amount just your roi.....

Btw, a tip for the players of these tourneys, you should when you're out scroll the hand history for big showdowns and note the players in it how they played it. You see a lot of regulars so now when I play them there are always a couple on which I have notes already :)

This is good I do this as well.

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stated it in a previous message, it's around 500, well it was, now it's around 450 but I'm at a FT now at 1st position with 6 left.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stated it in a previous message, it's around 500, well it was, now it's around 450 but I'm at a FT now at 1st position with 6 left.

gl id stay at the 4.40$ for a bit longer till your roll is over 1K$ about 1200$ to be exact..maybe try one or two here and there if you do well, which it seems you are glll...whats your sn?

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just did a deal when I was ahead with 2 players left, so made another $130. It's Trentecaller, like my nn here!

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who play on PS and are aware of the 180 man turbo SNG's on PS, do you think that KC's rush strategy can be applied to that tournament style too? I'm cashing in about half of these but never with a big enough stack to make a serious run....so I know I need to change something and remembered this thread.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having a lot of success with the PS 180's and 45's atm. Haven't watched KC's vids in a while, but from what I remember of the vids there is a lot of good stuff in them. Primarily the reinforcement of steal, steal, stea when you get late. The stuff on note taking and counting steals is good too and I don't use them enough really. I also need to start going over sets and noting big showdown hands for notes, that is excellent advice!

A lot of the big success in the larger fields will come from exploiting the bubble and phantom bubbles. There have been time I will shove 7-8 hands in a row with 4 ppl left because of table dynamics.

@trent: The "take a shot as a reward" advice is really good, too. It all comes down to good BRM to protect against swongs. You can also think of BRM as a function of average buy-in. If you play 1x$12 for every 5x$4.40 you have $36/6 tournaments for an average of $6 a play. At that average a "standard" bankroll would be around $600. I've become something of a bankroll nit, so I'm trying to stick with around 200 buyins. Currently trying to average around $4-5/game with ~$950 BR.

I wouldn't mind doing a sweat session or something along that lines one of these days. What software is useful for that sort of thing? I guess getting a headset would be helpful as well :D

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am having a lot of success with the PS 180's and 45's atm. Haven't watched KC's vids in a while, but from what I remember of the vids there is a lot of good stuff in them. Primarily the reinforcement of steal, steal, stea when you get late. The stuff on note taking and counting steals is good too and I don't use them enough really. I also need to start going over sets and noting big showdown hands for notes, that is excellent advice!

A lot of the big success in the larger fields will come from exploiting the bubble and phantom bubbles. There have been time I will shove 7-8 hands in a row with 4 ppl left because of table dynamics.

@trent: The "take a shot as a reward" advice is really good, too. It all comes down to good BRM to protect against swongs. You can also think of BRM as a function of average buy-in. If you play 1x$12 for every 5x$4.40 you have $36/6 tournaments for an average of $6 a play. At that average a "standard" bankroll would be around $600. I've become something of a bankroll nit, so I'm trying to stick with around 200 buyins. Currently trying to average around $4-5/game with ~$950 BR.

I wouldn't mind doing a sweat session or something along that lines one of these days. What software is useful for that sort of thing? I guess getting a headset would be helpful as well :D

All you need for the sweat sessions is usually TeamViewer(which is just video capturing) and then MSN or AIM to talk, so no definite need for a headset or microphone.

Also, FINALLY someone who follows some good BRM. I like your style. I feel like damn near everyone lately will argue that it is the right thing to play a tournament with only 20 buy-ins for it...

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All you need for the sweat sessions is usually TeamViewer(which is just video capturing) and then MSN or AIM to talk, so no definite need for a headset or microphone.

Also, FINALLY someone who follows some good BRM. I like your style. I feel like damn near everyone lately will argue that it is the right thing to play a tournament with only 20 buy-ins for it...
Good to know. The headset would mostly be so I could converse without having to type such a conversation ;)

As for BRM...I've seen too many good, winning players speak of 100+ buy-in swongs playing these 180's/45s to ignore. And I've had the wonderful experience of donking off a $3k bankroll by playing way over my limit before...though it was in cash poker at the time (and 6 years ago).

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it an idea for the few that want it to record their runs and edit it to show the interesting hands so others can comment on the play? I play very bad at the early stages, when the blinds are up to 100-200 I have such an edge that I am currently still at an avg ROI of 80. If I'm getting better at the earlier stages I can smash that ROI up a lot. My BR is 805 now :)

L

lacumbre

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars check return

I made a withdrawl, after sending the check, iwas e mailed it was no good and they returned the amount to my acct.

big deal, I've requested another check, we'll see, any one else?

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe or thought that they had suspended the checks (FTP) for the moment, due to problems.

Honestly I have a seperate checking account I have the withdraws go directly into. That has always worked for me, might give you another option if you can't get your money out.

Good luck.

T

Trentecaller

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was up to a BR of 1050, decided to do a few $12 ones until I got back to 900, which I did and I haven't cashed in one of them, and then the $4.40 are turning their backs on me too. I would love to do see you do some, would it be possible to do a teamviewer session and see you play?

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will definitely try this out, great post and play!

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would appreciate KC telling us how he thinks the change to Rush on Demand may have changed this.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would appreciate KC telling us how he thinks the change to Rush on Demand may have changed this.

At first I hated them, because I was so used to the 135 man structure, and knowing about when blinds would be when they would be and average stacks, etc..

But after a while I've adjusted and realize it's just more fish in the pond. And most of them come in short from registering late, which usually means they are shoving weak.

I'll try and talk more about it later...

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Can this strategy work on turbo SNGs.

Like your advice on stealing when the field thins out.

Thanks for sharing it KC, guys like you make this site what it is.

19Slim80

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
King - thanks for the article! It was great watching you explain why you do what you do during live play! I learned a lot!

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I'm doing a $4.40 RUSH SNG challenge in the upcoming weeks. Hope to form a solid strategy for you guys soonish lol

E

Ewaf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope this isn't too much of a bump. I read your article and wathced your vids KC, and it's similar to what I'm playing now. I have had varied success, made final table twice but finished out of the money on most. How do you deal with the variance of these? Today I played it perfectly and was chip lead out of 300+ people all the way till the last 15, I was playing quite tight but stealing when the opportunity came. I got pocket rockets and shoved, hoping to just get the huge blinds (was 5k bb at this stage). Big stack who has played tight throughout called. He showed A 2 of spades. Flop comes, obviously he hit his ace high flush and I finished 11.

Just played some more games and got sucked out by donks every time. I had pocket Kings, I made it look like I was blind stealing, sure enough BB comes over the top and I shove. He calls, and shows pocket deuces. Like seriously, he shoved pocket 2s, and hits his trips on the last card. Last game I just played same thing happened except the guy had QQ, I had AA. He hit his queen on the flop.

This is making me pull my hair out, do you need a huge bankroll to deal with the downswings with these? Any help appreciated man.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need a large bankroll for MTT's in general, not just the Rush ones. When it comes to MTT's, you need to keep in mind that you aren't going to cash but a small percentage of the time. Typically, people will generally say that you shouldn't use more than 2%(so 50BI's) of your bankroll on a tournament, but I know many who won't use more than 1%(So 100BI's). This is going to make up the difference for the losing games that you have in between your wins.

E

Ewaf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I have a large enough BR at the moment then. I am playing the $1 rush OD's, where there is probably more donks shoving stupid hands.

E

Ewaf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, if I record myself playing a couple of these, would anyone be interested in watching and pointing out my leaks etc? Just a cut down version kinda like KC's vids

Cheers