Is it possible to get up with a very small stack?

I

igv555

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Главная / Покерная Стратегия / Турнирный П&#10

Встать то можно но не нужна, в любой момент ситуация может повернув в лучшую сторону. Так что не стоит здоваца раньше времени.:)

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Встать то можно но не нужна, в любой момент ситуация может повернув в лучшую сторону. Так что не стоит здоваца раньше времени.:)

:eek::eek::eek: TRANSLATE!:D:D:D

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any player has seen, and maybe someone happened that for 4-5 hands of cards, when there are at least chips left, there is a return to the game and even in the top 10!!

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was a freeroll, dear friend!
You have to take into account that the level of the players is very low and, as they do not invest anything, make ridiculous moves!:D
You mean - kind of like the ridiculous move OP made on the first hand?
Regardless of the 'level' of players, low or high, you have to be able to read the opponents. It was obvious in that first hand - the opponent had a piece of the board - and OP shoved his entire stack representing something - but obviously not realizing his opponent was calling with any piece of the board. Good to add to your note on that player for next time.

Being able to read opponents either from history with them, or knowing their tendencies, timing tells, or whatever method you can is essential to play solid poker - at ALL levels from micros all the way up to nose bleeds

The essence of the game with short stack is a solid understanding of the strategy of push fold. To many players, she seems the only true and working. But if you have a good understanding of what is profitable to do at a certain moment and what is not, using new techniques can help you increase your stack in situations that you would not even have thought of using before.
I'd rather min-raise or shove with a big pocket pair with 5bb instead of shoving with any two broadway or any rag ace with ten bb. It's more profitible to wait as long as you can, to play a stronger hand, and push/fold only considers most profitable from what position with X holding. Although I pretty much agree with you - when a player looses a big allin and is left with lets say 9bb - it is prevailing wisdom to shove any Ace or any pocket pair or any two broadway cards as soon as you get them. I'd rather wait for the optimal situation (If able) 3 orbits is about 15-20 hands to possibly pick up a premium, if we are talking about 9bb with anties in play.
Often (about 50%) after a big all in a player will shove the very next Ace they get - regardless of position, or conventions of players left to act, and they usually bust out. Sometimes the Ace wins, but it is against the odds that - that happens.

So early in the game with so little chips. Just move on. Sure you can accumulate chips, but we're talking tripling up at least 5 times on an allin to even get back in to the game. Especially seeing someone mention this is a freeroll.

It really bothers me when you have check downs to eliminate an Allin player and during last round of betting a player makes a large enough bet bluffing and the other player or two in the hand fold...Because you must have the nuts to make such a large bet where a call is a loss and if the Allin player has a better hand you lose anyway? Then the player's bet is returned from the folds and the Allin player wins the main pot with a lowly bottom pair that one of the other who had 2nd bottom pair would have beat!. I want to break my screen when I'm that player who folded 2nd bottom pair and would have won that this player bet having no chance of winning with high card.
This could be considered good practice, although with 15 chips left - umpfh - quite difficult to spend time on that attempt to get back in the game - so early in the event.

I 100% align with your sentiment regarding allin players - with the donk bluffing on the turn/river - and the allin player outlasting the hand. I instantly mark that player as a rookie and continue to watch for other mistakes he/she makes - so I can take advantage later, or in future events.

My second largest tournament score to date was in a 12$ tournament, where I got it in on the bubble, lost a coinflip and was left with a completely crippled stack. I therefore changed strategy and managed to fold my way to the money with less than 1BB left. The very next hand I got it in with whatever and won, and that started a comeback, which actually saw me take home second place.
So yes these kind of miracles do happen, but of course not very often. Still its definitely a mistake to give up and just sit out and let yourself blind away after losing the majority of your chips, as I sometimes see people do. In that case better to just get it in, until you bust or have build up a workable stack.
Kind of bad by the Villain by the way to not put Hero all in for the last 15 chips. The only time, someone should survive with 15 chips, is, if the hand was all in, and they were the big stack. This is just another example, that a lot of players in freerolls dont really understand, what is going on, or how to play.
Sometimes when I'm confident I have the winning hand - and the river bet would equal an allin by the opponent I will bet the opponents entire chip amount minus 1.
I do this to see who is paying attention. A lot of players will just click the call button and be left sitting there with 1 chip. Has this ever backfired - has one of those players ever came back to starting stack - or even 100 chips? No, never. Although that is the name of the game - eliminating opponents in a tourney - I get a huge giggle - at leaving the opponent sitting there with 1 chip left. It is REALLY :D when it is the last hand before break - and dude has to sit there looking at the table for 5 minutes - with his 1 chip.
That might be kind of a jerk move - but - it's not me hitting the call button.

I think I relayed this story before - when ACR was hosting those $150 apology freerolls late summer, early fall, I was able to play in one. My pocket AA that hit a set on the flop and ended up a boat - lost to quads. And I was left with just under one antie.
Of course the very next hand I was all-in and I lucked into a straight winning the hand - which increased my stack by 5x. I think I had 2bb by then maybe.
Next hand I got was K/Q suited and again lucked into two pair.
I lucked my stack up to 10bb then ended up quadrupling up when I rivered a boat vs 4 opponents who all thought they had the best hand.
Then I went card dead - didn't play another hand until I hit the final table I made the final table with 1bb - shoved with A/Q and busted out. lol
That was all on luck - and discipline - not playing junk hands nearing the final table, and diligently folding second best when it was obvious I was beat, that allowed me to make the final table out of something like 2000 players.

Last edited:
EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...Although that is the name of the game - eliminating opponents in a tourney - I get a huge giggle - at leaving the opponent sitting there with 1 chip left. It is REALLY  when it is the last hand before break - and dude has to sit there looking at the table for 5 minutes - with his 1 chip.
That might be kind of a jerk move - but - it's not me hitting the call button....

:eek: :hahaha:I remembered the tournament when one of the players was sitting with one chip! Most importantly, he stayed after his all-in! Probably wanted to laugh - it did not work! Itself remained with one chip!:D:D:D

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a reason "chip and a chair" is a term. In the 2012 wsop main event greg merson lost a big hand on day 4 or 5 and was down to 1 1/2 big blinds left. He managed to come back from being that low to win the whole thing. If you have even 1 chip in front of you you are still in it.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you have a chance. "Chip and a chair" greg merson was down to one and a half big blinds on day 4 or 5 of the WSOP main event in 2012 and still managed to come back and win it all.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely possible to come back from next to nothing, I've done it and seen it done a number of times. These days though I won't necessarily try. In a freeroll - usually not. In a league game or a real money sit & go - definitely.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's my favorite challenge! And yes, I get it!

You all know it!

meagain00

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just do not need to be upset. History knows of cases when people with 1bb won the tournament. It just happens very, very rarely. And you don’t need to get upset, it's just a freeroll.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't understimate the power of a micro stack... Just combine it with loose aggression and you are well on your way to recovering... Go for multiway pots, so you don't just double, but triple or quadruple your stack for getting lucky :)
If you get away with 2 or 3 risky multiway all-ins your stack should already look a lot more pleasant again...
Most of the times you will bust of course...
Try spots in which the other players are stealing themselves their outs, like when one has AJ and another KJ... jackpot is when 3rd player enters with AK... Now all 3 opponents combined have 6 outs... LOL... your 47s is THE FAVORITE HAND now...

Poker Odds Calculator from www.cardschat.com
Texas Hold'em:
Player 1( :4d4: :7d4: ): 37.44% lose 62.14% tie 0.42% EV 0.37
Player 2( :ah4: :jc4: ): 15.42% lose 79.83% tie 4.75% EV 0.15
Player 3( :kc4: :jd4: ): 7.31% lose 90.72% tie 1.98% EV 0.07
Player 4( :as4: :kd4: ): 34.47% lose 61.12% tie 4.41% EV 0.34

Last edited:
EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't understimate the power of a micro stack... Just combine it with loose aggression and you are well on your way to recovering... Go for multiway pots, so you don't just double, but triple or quadruple your stack for getting lucky :)
If you get away with 2 or 3 risky multiway all-ins your stack should already look a lot more pleasant again...
Most of the times you will bust of course...
Try spots in which the other players are stealing themselves their outs, like when one has AJ and another KJ... jackpot is when 3rd player enters with AK... Now all 3 opponents combined have 6 outs... LOL... your 47s is THE FAVORITE HAND now...

Poker Odds Calculator from www.cardschat.com
Texas Hold'em:
Player 1( :4d4: :7d4: ): 37.44% lose 62.14% tie 0.42% EV 0.37
Player 2( :ah4: :jc4: ): 15.42% lose 79.83% tie 4.75% EV 0.15
Player 3( :kc4: :jd4: ): 7.31% lose 90.72% tie 1.98% EV 0.07
Player 4( :as4: :kd4: ): 34.47% lose 61.12% tie 4.41% EV 0.34

How everything became clear! Well explained! Thanks!
I have never used a calculator! It's a pity!:congrats::congrats::congrats::wavey:

S

StateDeParis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion play all you have... If you have 1 chip also you have a chance, Don t give up

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
%100 Yes.

Chip and a chair is what they say I've seen it multiple times I've done it multiple times go all in with 8 callers and I win and the next thing I get my good enough hands to go all in again and good 6 callers run again and if I can do that for 4 more times all in and win. most likely I would be with chip leader and take that tourney down

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes is very possible, to run good from a few doubles on short stack and even run very well after, Yes many stories about one last chip either live games or online, in this game anything is possible.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple answer is yes you can always still compete and win with a small stack but you will need some luck to get back into it. When you get really low you know you only have one option and that is to shove. Shove in the right spots and with some luck you can get back easily to a manageable stack.

0cean

0cean

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is hard for me if i get low stacked but always possible to get back in it.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
So once I have been playing MTT with 2.20 buy-in and unfortunately had a very bad beat and as a consequence, I remained with 5 BBs. I started shoving every hand because I already knew that I almost had no chance to keep playing this and frankly carma worked and I won literally 5 hands in a row and built up even higher stack than I had before the bad beat. So my answer is definitely yes, but almost everything depends on luck in that situation.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course if theres a will,theres a way. You can come up from freerolls and have plenty of fun.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Yes, I have managed to get really deep in a tournament, I had 0.5BB when it was down to a few thousand or a few hundreds from nearly 10,000 players.
And I got 4th place if I remember.

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is possible for sure, but definitely not often
Once I had like 1 BB after losing a big hand.
I went continuously all-in and I won 6 hands in a row.

A

abe2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome discussion. I think, as most here mentioned, one needs to have home run couple of times to get back to the game with very short stack. It never happened to me, but I have seen other people doing it.

Last edited:
B

Boreyko506

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won the tournament, up from one of the big blind, and it was not time.