how to play AK in a tournament?

Zeimar Silva

Zeimar Silva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are monsters cards, and you have to see the flop, but if you do not feel secure in paying or raising bets on the village ... do not commit to leaving the tournament ... fold, easy fold.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah, the AK is a great trickery, yesterday my AK sold me again and lost to AT all in

3ccasd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AK important thing is not to play tight in order not to put in hand the weak hands like TJ that they do not Won you flop 72T 4K

ExPatzer

ExPatzer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always raise preflop,in situation someone go all in you call if you are stronger in chips,in situation when 2,3 players go all in then fold.
Or if you are drunk then each time go all in,that is best way!

Hahahahahahaa lol

ExPatzer

ExPatzer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a pretty tricky hand and I feel it is very overrated. Or maybe I have just been too unlucky in tournaments with that hand

Zeimar Silva

Zeimar Silva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are monsters cards, and you have to see the flop, but if you do not feel secure in paying or raising bets on the village ... do not commit to leaving the tournament ... fold, easy fold.

But if you are in an early game freeroll, shove all in, mainly if you are a chip leader. Lol
That's how you play AK in "bingo freeroll".:angel::angel::angel:

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A poker authority could easily fill a book with 25 chapters on correct play of ako + aks . Dozens of factors would need to be considered : ring game , tourney or sng ; early position , middle, late or blinds ; your stack size , opponents stacks ; blind size and antes ; bubble or pay jump considerations ; your table image and those of others ; 3 bet, 4 bet , shove rates on the table ; psychological considerations (in tourney ,will you be content with a small cash or is a deep run your objective ) etc etc

George Lewis

George Lewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play AK in a million different ways. EP limp and shove to a raise, Standard raise, open shove, 3-bet, 4-bet, etc etc. About the only thing you don't want to do is meekly fold. Okay if yo uare facing a bunch of maniacs getting it in just fold under normal conditions but this hand is very powerful. It deletes and Ace and a King so most of the time you are a coin flip at worst to say QQ. You dominate all other Ax combos and many players over play these hands including suited Ax hands. You say you have lost to middle pairs a lot. Well you are a slight underdog to these hands so you should not be losing too often. Mix it up if you are losing this much. Either you are all in pre flop or you see a flop. If yo usee the flop and hit it you are all in. If you miss a Q or J on the board might be good enough to fold 88 for example. Play this hand as many ways as possible because of its flexibility. Most hands are not this flexible and AK can be used to mix up your play and help confuse opponents as to how you play. Shove it sometimes then just play it as a normal raise others or even limp re raise it. If you play it small and miss and are getting bet into go ahead and fold. No big deal. Play this hand 100 different ways and enjoy it.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a drawing hand, of course any pair beats it.
1)AA
2)KK
3)QQ
4)JJ
5)1010
6)99
7)88
8)77
9)66
10)55
11)44
12)33
13)22
14)AK.
In two card poker we see its the 14th best starting hand. So pre-flop it's a weak hand. ONLY through our friends the math geeks do we know it makes a good hand if your hand hits the flop or your opponent is playing hands 15 on down.

Last edited:
D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position. but I will most times place big bets.

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The depth in the tourney + stack size will influence your decision alot.

A) when your stack is small (CSI of 8 or less)- it is a shove from ALL positions

b) when your stack is larger, standard play (aggressive raise, fold a missed flop)

c) I have been known to fold a/k on the bubble, but it can be very difficult to do

In the reverse situation (calling) the same rules can apply, although I will often still call someones shove with a/k (especially if im in the blinds and they are in middle/late position)

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I play it beyond the flop, is when the flop contains 2 parts of the Ace High Straight (10,j,q) or if im 4 to the flush. Since I know im drawing at the NUT + have overcards to the current board, the implied odds for getting paid big go way up in these 2 scenarios.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your spr... it's still a suited connector... albeit a high one... but normally slow in early... fast in late...? idk... too many factors... question's kinda generic...

N

Niksic007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play against conservative players raise 3 BB or 4 BB. If he call,then look on flop and see what happens. If you play against agressive player this is very good hand for you. You have two option in this case. First if the agressive player front off you and he raised ,you have some kind of reasonable
hand, don't just call make a big raise. This takes courage, but if you've
assessed your opponent correctly, you'll win the pot immediately a substantial amount of the
time. And second if agressive player raise you just call. And see what s happen on flop . Is situation good to you dont raise just check. Wait ,besause he keep trying to push you out of the pot. When employing
this strategy, you make only one raise, at the very end of the hand!

N

Niksic007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play against conservative players raise 3 BB or 4 BB. If he call,then look on flop and see what happens. If you play against agressive player this is very good hand for you. You have two option in this case. First if the agressive player front off you and he raised ,you have some kind of reasonable
hand, don't just call make a big raise. This takes courage, but if you've
assessed your opponent correctly, you'll win the pot immediately a substantial amount of the
time. And second if agressive player raise you just call. And see what s happen on flop . Is situation good to you dont raise just check. Wait ,besause he keep trying to push you out of the pot. When employing
this strategy, you make only one raise, at the very end of the hand!

B507

B507

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fully and unconditionally agree with post by `Shinedown.45`:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/how-play-ak-in-a-tournament-308252/post-3323872.html
When you`ve got AK - there is so many factors affect the future of your actions: what game exactly you play (cash, MTT or S&G), what table (short or full ring), how many regular`s here (at the table), what stage is now (when playing MTT or S&G), size of your stack (of course !), and so on & on & on..
Anyway - you must to remember: AK is such the tricky one hand ! As all of `girls`: you never know - what's the catch, and when you will go on her trick !
lol

UJaseN

UJaseN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well Ak could be played many ways , depends on what stage you are in the tournament ... blinds,antes. The classic is to be agressive with AK more raising re-raising

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as should play AK as an all-in before almost always lose to a medium pair

Hmmm what are you looking to hit ?
most players dont consider this with AK because it is over valued.

the average winning hand in poker is 2 pair or better. so what are looking to hit with AK while giving all 5 community cards ? you have to remember when you go all in preflop the other players get all five cards and theres no pushing any one off a hand.

Betting the AK strong and having players think and react to your bets will help you make this hand more profitable in the short and long run.
because if flop comes in your favor your good and if it doesnt you still might be able to put on pressure and take the pot with out losing your stack. If you need to fold and get out of the way you lost minimal and still in the game or not having to rebuy. the more do this the better youll understand how much more important this is and it will help you with other handswith out always shoving .

good skill at the tables

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's important to play AK aggressively preflop, but be able to get away post flop.

vlad1slaw

vlad1slaw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything depends on the stage of the tournament. At the beginning it is not necessary to place high expectations and call pushes on stack :)
Just this hand is bad in a multiway. I believe that this is a problem hand and not a monster :)

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything is very simple.
AK always raise up to you if there are no raises.
If before you raise from MP you say call.
But if there were two or more of a raise in front of you, then fold.

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is played to raise if you have not had it, if it was necessary raise 3-bet, because that hand is AK Velho hand 5 bet shove

D

djr3910

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove

When I have AK I am always ready to flip. ALL IN :D
Even if everyone folds, you make money

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BB = Just pay (really!) or Raise 2x;
Another Position: Raise 2,3x or Allin (If I have a low number of BigBlinds).

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Worst case scenario, if you go all in and lose, at least you'll know you lost with a premium hand. It is honourably a great hand to play all in preflop, unless the stack size is super small