how to play AK in a tournament?

K

Khoesial

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a draw type of hand, with the additional honus of being the highest cards. So a moderate raise,or call a reasonable raise, and play post flop.

F

Ficomkd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet man after flop is not shame to fold AK

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: Always raises to about 5BB-7BB depending on the type of players there are on the table. And if someone reaised before you, make sure to reraise for these same values. If called all-in, you have to know which kind of players you are dealing with, if he played in a loosely style till now, you can call his all-in, but if he played tightly, he could be bluffing cause he played tightly, or he could really be playing a strong hand, like QQ, JJ, or even in rare cases he will have AA or KK (since you've got AK, it's really unprobable he'll have one of these cards in hands, even harder to have a pocket pair of one of those cards.

Post-Flop: If you're not in an All-in situation, and the flop comes with and Ace and two other not significant cards, you can raise here to guarantee the pot if you think it's large enough for you, but if not, you can make a slowplay and hope the opponent doesn't hit another card. In case the flop comes with a King and any other face cards you can raise to take the pot too, but if some face card comes, like Q or J, you have to be careful cause the opp can have a hand like QQ, JJ, or even KQ or KJ.

On the turn and river just maintain the same thought, but always be aware if you think your opponent hits 2 pair or 3 of a kind, unless, play smartly and you will get a lot of chips from him.

Jauheni Danilenka

Jauheni Danilenka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the position is later, or buy-in tournament is small, it is very aggressive

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on position and nuber of players in the hand. Although AK is surely a hand that should be played firmly it is also sometimes to your advantage to wait till the turn even the river.

Q

qq4bet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to understand what the situation is at the table. if you always do all in with AK you do not win a lot.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mid tourney and final table shove then pray

Jauheni Danilenka

Jauheni Danilenka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the tournament, position, stack, and players against whom you play ... but luv most sluchaea need to play aggressively, even after opening the flop

A

armher

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you won last 3-4 hands, you should fold with AK

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything depends on the stage of the tournament, the number of players and the size of the blinds. So how to play AK can not accurately answer

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything depends on the stage of the tournament, the number of players and the size of the blinds. So how to play AK can not accurately answer
Exactly what Vadimknyshov said. You have to know what conditions are and such to know how to play a certain hand period.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me problem occurs when i need to call allin with AK cause 2/3s of attempts my hand is losing one and i am not happy to deal with this hand

Z

zzvictor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on position, blinds, ante, early game, middle game, late game, low/mid/high stake, hand history with players, 6/8/9/10 man tables, small or large tournament, your table image, your chip stack compared to villian(s), your opponents mentality (are they on tilt etc.), how players with history with you play vs you, how well you play post flop (you may want to play a more basic play style early career till you build up experience with AK from many situations.

I would recommend taking it easy early game and play more abc (unless you have tons of history against villan). Just do the best decision that comes to mind then look over your hand history after you finish up and think about it more and more.

Ps. You also need to worry about your opening range, calling range, 3/4/5 bet range etc...etc... And be careful opening 5-7x vs some clever players (you may want to mix your game up vs regs).

Hopefully you can enter pots vs players who will pay you off with weaker aces etc. Look up value betting and show down value etc.

Last edited:
miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My game with AK depends on my position.
If the dealer using a menu play aggressively and if I were in a middle position raise stake to a maximum of three large blids
This is my winning combination to win the hand with AK :)

D

ds276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on preflope 3 BB or all-in depending on the situation

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play AK quite aggressively on a preflopa I do raise 3BB if go in all in I can compare.

Stefanell75

Stefanell75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play AK:
Raise and if payments become aggressive and go at all in

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the stack, blinds, opponents play style, and stuff. Just don't float, you can put yourself in a very scary situation, unless thr flop came AAA, KKK, AAK, KKA or something close to this. When playing AK, you have to understand that not always you will hit the flop, neither your opponents do, so, be aggressive most of the time

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK I play very aggressive , always doing with her re-raise or push ))))) all depends on the situation

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get it in preflop vs medium pair (lower then KK) you are slight favourite. Should ship it in 1v1 every time, note that it depends also stack sizes, stage of tournament, how you read the player vs you, what is your image, all that count. I would think about folding only when my opponent range is straight forward, but only certain cases. 1v1 i will ship it 90% or more. note this apply for preflop.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Surely I will rise, except if the statistics of the game 'say' to play carefully.