you should have a lot of luck to win with such a hand

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play small pairs if the price is right, i never completely discount any pair if its cheap to call..that said its a fold probably 80% of the time.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually I play to trip on the flop or go to showdown for a low price, if I do not give up

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm in position, have a big stack, small amount to call, maybe against donkey's, I might call hoping for a set.

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only play them if you are small blind, big blind or dominating the table (limping in). too many cards can win out.

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set mining is usually the way to go with deuces or seeing a flop cheaply....

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket deuces fall into the same category as 66, 55, 44, and 33. Generally, I do not think low pairs as hole cards have a high winning percentage. At most, it is about 51% and that is accounting for a 3% accuracy one way or the other, so a 48-54% swing. I don't like playing them much.

A lot depends on position. I think playing in a later position is probably optimal. That way, at least, you can see who plays and who does not, and how the betting and raising are stacking up. If you are in a late position, and your stack can take the punishment in case of a loss, and the play remains equal to the big blind, a call pre-flop is not a bad play, especially if the number of opponents drop out. So, call but do not bet or raise.

Of course, what you are looking for is a trip on the flop. (Yes, dreaming about quads is permitted, but don't count on it. It can lead to nightmares.) If you do not trip on the flop, the best you can do is to check, if possible, in the hope of getting a free pass to the turn. If any player raises, my advice would be to fold because it can be awful expensive chasing the trips, remembering at all times that any higher pair will beat you.

Now, if you should trip on the flop, then your odds of winning climb to about 74% with a swing again of 3%, meaning 71-77%. How you play next is critical to winning or losing. A trip is a decently strong hand at any given time, but low trips are vulnerable at the best of them.

Measure your chances of winning against the cards in your hands and those in the flop. Take a really, really good look at the board! Play aggressively. Bet the competition out ASAP. In any case, that is what I would do. With trips so vulnerable, I would not want to go to the turn or the river if at all avoidable.

anakonda1318

anakonda1318

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. For me, a pocket pair of twos, it's just a pair, which I most often just raise, but if a lot depends on this pocket pair, then I can go to All-in.

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
too much to paint in which cases I play them, it happens and fold and all in)

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's simple to play deuces. Make a set or fold. It's an easy fold to make if you miss the flop and there's bets before you.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp in late position and fold to any raise or a bet post flop unless I hit my trips.

iriska

iriska

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually I drop them ... although I often see players who are not afraid of a couple of deuces and play to the end!

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would try to get in cheap. Also, late position would be preferred but not necessary in the early stages of a tournament. If it's late in the tournament then bet in late position if nobody has limped or bet. Snap fold if you're in early position.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This pair is letal sometimes!But I don't raise,generally I just call.

derek jones

derek jones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usual like to stay in a hand till post flop when it comes to any pocket pair i get cuz the odds of floppin trips or even runnin trips in my mind is always there lol.

vagrantjunki3

vagrantjunki3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usual like to stay in a hand till post flop when it comes to any pocket pair i get cuz the odds of floppin trips or even runnin trips in my mind is always there lol.

Yeah unless my pair is super low and there's a huge raise I'll stay in for the same reason. I actually get more amped when there's a single BB raise and multiple callers with lower pairs because I assume there will be more "rags" in the deck when the flop comes.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I play any small pocket pairs as cheap as possible trying to hit a set. I will go all in later in tournaments if I am short stacked and in late betting position. Good luck !

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22- from early position always fold.
From a late position, if several players entered the game, I can make a call

C

cj2327

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only good for set mining at a large table with large effective stacks. Limp in from late position is ideal, or if you feel aggressive, a small raise. Short handed (or, in late position with no action ahead of you, occasionally), you can push with short effective stacks. Be happy to steal, but they're not awful with one caller as long as there's not a lot of betting post flop.

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most of the people here. In position and if it's cheap this can be a killer hand.

M

MadPanic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate deuces!! What alienated said is very true. And even when you DO hit your set, it's still the weakest set you can get..

I remember I busted out of a big tournament early on when I hit a set of 6s on turn, only to run into a slow played set of 7s from the flop. I was not a happy bunny I can tell you!!

Deuces suck!! Aces all the way!!!

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
practically those cards do not play, the only way to play is to have very few chips or sometimes only pay the blind if nobody bets more than that, just to see the flop, it all depends on the circumstances and how they are playing the rest of the players

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to have at least 30 blinds to limp them, this gives you the right odds to set mine. In late position you can steal with them, and with 20bbs or less you can open shove them sb vs bb.

This is actually a very good description of what to do in a tourny, it does seem crazy to people to fold pairs in early position but that's exactly what you should do. It's a nightmare post-flop to have any idea where you are unless you obviously hit your set.