How do you play pocket deuces?

J

Jakobsladder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm deep stacked, say 50bb+, I usually open 22/33 from UTG1. When on a shorter stack, generally around 20bb, I open 22/33 from the hijack. I wouldn't do much open-limping except in some very specific circumstances. As far as calling raises with 22, in general, you want to be in position and have a stack bigger than 30bb

lexaplis

lexaplis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in any case you need to watch the flop, for this you can give 2-3 bb

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i always want to see cheap flop with 22,sometimes i dont float for big prize if i dont have decent stack...i avoid shoving them,only if im really short or into short stakes......

K

kingarthurrov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22 or 1010

If 1010 raise 3 bb.
If 22 call

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Pocket 22s is a better starting hand than any single A whatever
and if you flop A2Q you can reel them in for a bundle.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limp/fold if stack is under 40bb
may raise or call a small preflop raise if stack is above 80bb

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 22, i will limp, and try to see the flop.
If the third 2 comes up, well then everything looks good.
If not, dont waste any more money on that hand.

J

Jeremy Laninger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your stack size and your position. Also depends on how many people are in the hand as well. If I’m heads up I would typically push with it especially towards the end of a tournament.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Really hope that you flop a set, or maybe some kinda draw.
If you are the big stack and a small stack goes all in a call is fine, but you should think about if the player is being a nit or not, they could easily have an over pair.

Roezillaa

Roezillaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually always call with pocket dueces, never raise or fold unless someone raises big before it comes around to me. I don't think position matters. I always call Pre flop and if I nail my set I bet or slow play it depending on what's on the board. Say you have pocket 2s in the bb, and mp raises to 10 or 15$. I would just call preflop. And say the flop is A K 2 all spades. Slow play that. See where people are at with it because if you pair up you're more than likely good. But people tend to flop flushes sometimes or a higher set. Anyway. Yeah I would call. Not raise, and fold to anything super high of a raise.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On pocket deuces I almost always do a pass.

On pocket deuces I almost always do a pass. If I have a big stack, I can call in middle position or raise in late position, but it happens very rarely. In general, I do not like pairs 2 2-10 10, according to statistics, I 48% -56% of these hands should win if I go to the all-in against two overcards, but on the contrary, more hands I lose. If you play on the table of starting hands, then on such pairs you need to make a pass in the early position, make a call in the middle position and raise in the late position. That's how I try to play.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of people get sucked into the "its a pair" thing. Even if its short handed, I just don't have much interest in playing 22. I try to make easy decisions, 22 is always a hard decision when you don't hit a set.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually limp if it's cheap enough just to see the flop. If I feel like I have no chance considering the flop, I will fold or check it down till the end. I do hold out at least to see the flop, and it's not ever a snap fold for me.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned to mostly ignore them unless I'm super short stacked and I am going all in in a last ditch attempt to save myself.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try and play my ranges and not specific hands. So pocket 2s are just part of my range. I play them the same way I would play the rest of hands in the same part of the range.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise-fold...most of small pairs 22-66 should be some what of a raise fold. The EV of thous hands is high only in short stacking and even then a good AXo is often better due to post flop playbility. You of then can withstand a float and/or a Cbet on a K97o with and AXo... 22 on the other hand.
So again raise fold(or shove if you must). But again Try out yourself and tell me how confiden you are in that 1.5% of equity =)

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to have at least 30 blinds to limp them, this gives you the right odds to set mine. In late position you can steal with them, and with 20bbs or less you can open shove them sb vs bb.
Seems like a very solid strategy for 22.

What do you think about with 10-15 BB, folded to hero on BU. Let's assume the blinds are average SNGMTT players and have similar stacks (In a turbo $3R 180 on PS for example). Shove or fold?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other night i was playing in a freeroll and slowly getting blinded out. The stack was down to 10 bb. I got 22 and decided to go all in, and there was a 2 in the flop and I carried on with the game.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a pocket pair 22 I try to enter the game with a limp, if there is a raise pre-flop - then fold. For me, playing with a pocket pair 22 is reduced to a simple strategy - fit or fold. If got a set - play further, if not - fold. Play a pocket pair 22 without improving on the flop - it's expensive!

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 80% of cases, I do not raise, just a call, even a 3bet call, if you allow stack. On the flop if I do not get to 2, and someone will raise the throw, will not I catch the street, then I will watch тьорн, further on the situation.

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I try to see flop, if it doesn't cost me too much.. And if see another deuce on the table - it is a good hand for me. Of course need to be careful not to run into higher set. So yeah, quite tricky hand, but it can win some nice pots.

B

Badbunny

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience I recommend not to play unless you see that not many players are interested in getting into the boat and if the bets above are not as high. You should pay attention to your chips by being able to pay your position and because it is will help you and give you an advantage over other players.
Good luck and enjoy the game.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
From my experience I recommend not to play unless you see that not many players are interested in getting into the boat and if the bets above are not as high. You should pay attention to your chips by being able to pay your position and because it is will help you and give you an advantage over other players.
Good luck and enjoy the game.
Thanks for the tips. Such way is close to my understanding of the game when dealing with deuces.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on your position at the table and your stack

IamVALHALLA

IamVALHALLA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See a flop if possible and then; no set, no bet.