How do you play a tournament in the beginning?

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to play loose in the early stages, then tighten up.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play snug and get a general take on the table, then I adjust my game accordingly.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the tournament.
In sng 9 max turbo tournaments, I start with a rather narrow range.
All pairs in late position, suited connectors, unsuited ak
9max gipper turbo I'm starting to play with a wide range. Suited connectors. Any aces. KQ, KJ, K10, K9
Any pair.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to play good hands and build your BR as quick as you can.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think tight in right.Play to survive no need to bloat pots or shove all in ect .slowly build a stack or slowly lose it lol

In my opinion having a massive stack early on doesn't really help middle or late game and people who do lose it just as fast in middle/early late game , because they are not playing to survive. Late game is when you go for win

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agressive at the start build a stack or out and into another tournament.:):):)

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play tight aggressive at the beginning just playing blinds and premium hands.

Last edited:
efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends on the tournament but usually with a closed and tight range trying to bend with the best possible hand

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
At first I try to play good cards and very carefully, it's not worth risking so much from the start and losing like that, many times I prefer to play very safe to try to get as far as possible and get good results, while while the more I get the more chance I have to learn from the rest of the players and from my own game

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sttarting MTT

Home study tournament as players behave if they play aggressive or control the pot to play with strong hands or play with any two cards

Made these notes begin to put together a format to play with each avoid going into too much inflated pots at the start of the tournament

And as the blinds increase and the tournament progresses depending on my stack I get more or less conservative

:jd4:mateuspoker

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I avoid entering pots unless I am in late position. If I play from any other position I often find the nutbars coming over the top with a huge bet or a shove. Just not worth the aggravation. As things progress I still try to be tight aggressive for the first few levels.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends entirely on the tournament. The beginning stack size, the payout ratio, the blind schedule, the buy-in, etc. all factor into it. As a general rule, the more time I have before I am under any pressure to act, the more hands I will fold. But at the same time, early in a tournament it's easier to pick off bad players and get a quick lead, so I might try to spot one of those players and go super aggressive when I have a chance to take a shot at them. Otherwise, early on I am likely to just wait, especially in freerolls/micro stakes where so many players are willing to shove recklessly in the early stages.

Mendo

Mendo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt but I was taught that in the beginning when it is deep stacked, you should value suited connectors and suited aces over high cards.

You can afford to see more cheap flops to hit those straights and flushes which will give you the opportunity to double up if someone else has hit their top pair/top kicker, two pairs or sets.

M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking to get some chips from very loose players and try to get into the flop or even showdown with very strong starting hands otherwise very tight playing is recommended I think just at the beginning.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
very patiently and be more aggressive as the tournament progresses

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Depends on the chipstack and blind levels. If you have to play fast and the buy-in is low I would play more aggressive from the start to triple up my chips early, then with a decent stack play my normal game, which is TAG.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt but I was taught that in the beginning when it is deep stacked, you should value suited connectors and suited aces over high cards.

You can afford to see more cheap flops to hit those straights and flushes which will give you the opportunity to double up if someone else has hit their top pair/top kicker, two pairs or sets.
It all depends on the type of tournament. If these are freerolls, I play super aggressively from the very beginning, with the goal of getting a decent stack as early as possible. And if it's tournaments with decent buy-ins, then I play super tight.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I to play tag and you ?
Try not to bring the game to showdown It would seem that you can significantly increase the stack in the tournament with the help of several successful all-in bets with the best pocket cards or high odds on an open board. This is true, but very dangerous, since one should not forget about the theory of probability and variance. Even putting all-in with pocket Aces, you will sometimes lose - the theory of probability will affect.If we are talking about the whole stack, you need to reduce the very probability of losing. You can do this in one way - to take the pot before the showdown, even if you win it preflop and it will not be as big as you would like with good cards. Thanks to aggression in bidding and the use of tactics, you can minimize the number of completion of distributions on the showdown, and thereby reduce the number of cases when you lose the stack due to a simple failure. Many pros win tournaments, building up the stack as little as possible comparing cards at the showdown)

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early and middle positions, most hands allow you to decide whether to raise or fold. Every player who knows at least a little about poker will raise any position by having A-Q, and will not hesitate to reset the mismatched 5-7. When there aren't many opponents left and you want to raise more, it's important to have an idea of the mathematical principles and hands That your opponents can call with. Keep in mind that you can't ignore late-position raises and focus on your opponents instead.

Against some blinds, it is better to raise the bet immediately with any hand, and against some it is better to play tight and raise only with a more or less playable hand.

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
neatly . I don’t risk it. everything will come with time !!

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Cautiously!

You can't win a MTT in early stages, only lose it.

This is of course dependent on circumstances... How the table is playing, how card dead or otherwise you are, how you run and probably most importantly- the tournament structure.

If you start mega deep with long levels very different to a hyper turbo for an obvious example.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play aggressive and a bit looser than normal. There is more space to be tricky and later stages opponents think you are crazy and then you play tighter and more GTO. When you have 3betted a lot in early stages and when you get the nuts you get more value with them.