How do you play a tournament in the beginning?

Distort99

Distort99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i get what your saying with consistency is key, but what i was saying is you dont want to be consistent on trying to steal blinds and bluffing. you cant bluff all the time in other words. you have to find your even medium in order for people to not figure you out. i like what you have to say though and ill deff take it into account. thank you
I mix up my game, i utilise my HUD to full effect and i look for discrepancies in opponents play. I am well known for my comments on making notes on players especially on CC but thats so valuable to me as i feel there are at least 25 players now of whom i am confident on how they will play any given situation.
I never play to min cash unless i am seriously card dead..i play to win tourneys so i often make a good call when someone is trying to steal my blinds..it s experience that teaches you these things too..
I play the same 1st hand or 331st hand...consistency is key

kokoalexkoko

kokoalexkoko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with every hand and very aggressive. Win with 3 5 with floo 2 4 A and 2 aces from my opponent.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
start loose seeing cheap hands, tighten up as blinds increase, then loosen up a bit in the final stages

S

silverfox180

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginning a tournament

I to play tag and you ?
I see wot hand i have if its good i will play the flop if the flop go,s good i 3 net the turn and if my cards come up i will bet half pot or sometimes go all in if they are high cards

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the tournament, the opponents at the table and many other factors.
I play so that I win, there will be knowledge and luck behind my back.

B2199707

B2199707

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it not the players then its the pot that makes me go all in i never get to the payouts but like they say never give up :thefingerlol

B2199707

B2199707

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play different on every hand you don't wanna get caught out by other player especially when bluffing

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best advice i ever got about playing early stages of tournaments is to play like a cash game and just play solid. But more specifically and especially in live tournaments, you have to try to punish limpers in the early stages. There are so many benefits to doing this and just that adjustment should lead to much better results

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speculative. Only the nuts for my entire stack. Minimal run outs.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play a lot of hands, all suited connectors

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
There are many ways to play them, but it all depends on the vision and strategy of each player, I usually try to play very safe, I do not see the need to risk so much when the blinds are small and when I have my stack intact and there is still a lot of tournament ahead

710suited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the tournament and if I start with players I know or have notes on.

Rebuys are a whole different ballgame and I will try to see as many flops as I can depending on the mtt.

Distort99

Distort99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so ive been reading this thread for a little bit now and i have taken some of the advice from some of the members here at cards chat. at the end of the day i have found that it all depends on a variety of variences for each tournament. it depends on the skill level of the people that you happen to have at your table, the way you play, if they have notes, ect, ect... at the end of the day it seems like there is real no answer to the way you should start a tournament, it all just depends on your own play style and how you play the game. everybody plays poker different, is there really any real answer to the way you should play? obviously you shouldnt play garbage cards all the time or you wont make it very far but at the same time in the beginning of tournaments i see people hitting 2,8 offsuits and everythings else. as a matter of fact this morning i decided that i was gonna pick a pair of cards and make them my lucky cards for the beginning of tournaments for the day. i decided to run with 2,7 suited or offsuit didnt matter. i ended up getting them offsuit more then suited and i have cracked multiple heads with them. but it was just the luck of the draw and the way the cards fell, that in my opinion atleast, is not at all the way you should play poker but it has worked throughout the day for me today. so does it all just come down to how lucky your gonna get for the day? we all have on days and off days and is this just a good day for me? any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated because im by no means a poker pro but i enjoy some good feedback from everyone here at cardschat so hit me with whatever you guys got please. thanks ahead of time.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I may play one or two hands an hour. If I get good cards, more.

But thanks to the NL of NL hold'em, you can double almost every time you get the nuts.

Yesterday lost KK vs AQ + KQ unfortunately, but it happens.

Came back though to get in the money.

So much to say about this. There are thousand$$ courses you can buy and private coaching...

I suggest you spend some time or money or probably both to get real support with this question...

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is little or no reason to play marginal hands, precisely because the blinds are still small in relation to the stacks. We play this phase extremely tightly, we only play our good hands, thus exploiting the loose style of our opponents.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've tried different ways to play at the beginning of a tournament. I think they all can work well at different times and the way that you are running.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I play rather tight the first 3 blind levels, later it depends on the table.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight, and only aggressive if you have high pairs or broadways and avoid the jam or 3 bets.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start Tournments

I prefer to play at the beginning more Tight and watching the players to make chips exploiting their weaknesses and of course try to have good cards to start moves

:jd4:mateuspoker

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends on the structure of the tournament, the faster the structure with a more extended range of play, the main thing is to maintain a less playable stack +70-100bb, so you can play a quiet tight aggressive game

odranorkan

odranorkan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to choose what most suits your game, players get along playing tight agressive, others loose agressive. I particularly prefer to play loose aggressive, my strategy is to always get in the bubble with more than 60 BBs and then play tight aggressive, in theory my opponents would be confused by it.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also play TAG. On the aggressive side I overbet considerably with a premium hand to avoid the useless 3x blind pickup in the early game.