How do you play a tournament in the beginning?

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overall I would classify myself as a TAG player. But I am more in between a LAG and TAG In the opening stages . I like to see as many flops as possible for cheap if the hands are of quality or playable. Since the blinds are lower I find myself a little more likely to call with most AX and suited connectors and upper broadway hands. QT or better against the right opponent. Obv table dynamics, and those loose maniacs that are any 2 bingo shovers are not the pots I play looser against (I’m not wasting chips calling 1-3 bb even if it’s cheap only to have BB maniac ship in 100x bb who likely has nothing but it’s not worth my stack/risk.) IMO if I can see a few extra flops for cheap or get into a multi way pot from position I like to call and hopefully get involved in a huge return if I happen to hit gin on the flop. Chipping up early is key to being able to play more aggressively in the later stages where scooping up the dead money or re-stealing blinds and antes can start to add up when the blinds get up there. Obv as the tournament gets very deep I am tightening up somewhat and trying to minimize my mistakes.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play very tight, too many people play all in poker with nothing and get lucky. I have no luck at all so I wait for those people to be eliminated and real poker can start. Then I loose, hahaha.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
TAG

Good afternoon everyone.
I play most of the time waiting for strong hands to play, more sincerely I have some doubts if it really is the best way to play, I will explain why.
I have already been eliminated from several tournaments, playing strong hands against weak ones.
I have dedicated myself more to playing cash game, as it does not depend on winning All in and sometimes I play some Mtts, in the last Mtt KO, I was eliminated with AKo vs 8c6c, hero with 20bb, I was All in villain call of 86s, on the flop villain makes a sequence, it seems that the player who has more chips in PS almost always wins.
In my opinion the most profitable way is to play lose, the more difficult it is.