How do you play a tournament in the beginning?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I prefer to play with good cards.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many strategies and everything also depends on the type of tournament. Most times you play very tight, and other times you have to try to play as many hands as possible.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play at the start of the tournament as loony, which recovered from schizophrenia. Therefore, I often fly out on the first hand.

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowly!!!

I prefer to pay little and see as many hands as possible with stairs or color possibilities

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning of a tournament I like to play aggrieve to try to build a chip stack.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet like it's the blinds in the middle of the tournament. Hate building stack slowly. Still selective but bigger bets.

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a bit conservative, analyzing my opponents

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play big hands but sometimes also try with consecutive cards or same color, looking for connect with flop, is good time to make the stack big

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TAG with no fear of taking interesting lines.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the game takes place at the beginning of the tournament and small bets, then I try to play almost all
normal cards, and when big bets are raised in a tournament, I only play good cards or good pairs!

kaktyc

kaktyc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play carefully throughout the tournament.

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play a bit tight because most of the maniacs are still in the tournament. But since in the beginning of the tournament you are very deep, you should open some suited connectors such as 89s to try and hit a big hand. However, don't loosen up too much or you will find yourself in weird spots.

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play with good hands! But! It happens sometimes to bluff even with 27 when the flop and turn are kings with aces :) It happens and this and the best way it seems to me to wait for good hands ...

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which tournament?
Let's take CC freeroll for example: 75BB starting stack and after just 3 lvls (in case you didnt lose a single chip) you are down to 15BB. If you play aggressive, see all flops etc, you are likely to lose, so being tight pre flop is probably the correct strategy.
Let's take some deepstack, rebuy tournament: you have tons of chips early, stack that is around 200BB, with the opportunity to rebuy for the first few hours. That means there is room for a lot of 3-bets, or 4,5-bets pre flop. There is a lot of room to call to see the flop, with marginal hands like 65s for example, that you can't really see a flop with in freeroll.

With all that being said, try to be dynamic, and change your style accordingly, in this case, according to the type of the tournament (regular or knockout), stack sizes, speed etc.

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go a bit loose and play some hands that I wouldn't normally play later on, but always being careful and it worked for me so far.

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the early stage of the tournament I play only with very strong cards.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the beginning of a tournament I play a little cautiously because the blind are too low for you to play aggressive to try to steal the pot, so in a cmeço tournament without playing with good cards

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I play poker I'm trying to assess and react to how the rest of the table is playing and making every decision based on all relevant factors.
This generally means I play very tight at the beginning of tournaments as the blinds are low so less worth stealing and many people are playing very loose and knocking each other out when it's simply not worth taking the risk.

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone writes that they first play carefully. I act the same way. But a lot depends on my mood on a particular day. Sometimes you want to walk on thin ice and put all the chips in all-in.

Distort99

Distort99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually do play conservative in the beginning, especially in person. but it depends on the seriousness of the tournament and if i really care about losing what ive put into it. over the weekend i went to a $45 buy in tourney and i played conservative in the beginning and then midway i got careless and it ended up being my down fall. i should of stayed conservative because i was playing with a good group of people. it all depends on the environment and how serious people are playing

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mix up my game, i utilise my HUD to full effect and i look for discrepancies in opponents play. I am well known for my comments on making notes on players especially on CC but thats so valuable to me as i feel there are at least 25 players now of whom i am confident on how they will play any given situation.
I never play to min cash unless i am seriously card dead..i play to win tourneys so i often make a good call when someone is trying to steal my blinds..it s experience that teaches you these things too..
I play the same 1st hand or 331st hand...consistency is key