Dream hand at the WSOP: How would you play it?

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Of course, no one wants to be eliminated in the “tournament of a lifetime” in the first hand, but I think you have to realize that this situation can also occur in one of the next hands and it cannot be your goal to take part in a $10,000 tournament and avoid any explosive game situations. You don't pay $10,000 to sit at the table of a tournament and watch until you run out of chips.

So I think that in this situation, even if it would be painful to leave the tournament, I would call. Sooner or later such game situations cannot be avoided and this is definitely one of them that I would like to see. If I still lost, I would console myself with the fact that I didn't make a mistake in the game that would have resulted in my exclusion from the tournament.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would risk losing in the first hand with AA, on the contrary if I win I would triple and could go far in the tournament.

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is the easiest call in life, obviously I would play and due to probabilities I will surely triple it, it is a big tournament but it does not matter if it is the first or the last hand, the important thing is to try to play as correctly as possible and fold the aces only in tournaments satellites and after the flop

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
AA is the best starting hand in NLH, so i wont hesitate to call on my first hand because i will triple up most of the times with that hand.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't like going all-in preflop; and in my first hand of the tournament and with 2 players who have previously done it; It's a risk but with AA it's the only hand that would make the call; because they can have KK or QQ; and anything can appear on the board; but I have the best hand preflop and I would take the risk. Although it may be my early elimination from the tournament

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course i would make the allin call with Aces . Its a tremendous chance to build a good stack early ! And, I should mention, if I had the bankroll to enter the main event on Day1A, should I bust out I presumably could afford to re enter later, after a day or 2 off to settle my emotions from the beat !

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Honestly, I always have a rule: "always call with AA"! Always! And it doesn't matter how many all-in's were in front of me. Even if the whole table went all-in, I would have called. Well, let's be honest - it's the best pre-flop hand, and I consider myself as a fish. Even if this is my dream tournament, I would still call. I am a player! Let me explain. I'm the kind of person who will regret the missed opportunity, because I'm the strongest pre-flop hand with AA! And even if I lose, I won't be shamed. I will always be able to reassure myself that I had a better chance pre-flop than the other players. :)

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It would be uninteresting to play allin even with AA here. BUT. I reckon I have less than a 70% chance of winning. I also don't want to lose in the first hand. My passive side of my soul would be tell me to fold it and play calmly. On the other hand, the more aggressive and darker side of my soul would be scream that I should definitely play all-in. In my current situation, I would go all-in and play with as much aggression as possible throughout the tournament, so as to dominate not only the entire table but the entire tournament and win it no matter what. No passive game, although logic would be tell me otherwise.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be under a lot of pressure in that situation.The wsop Main Event,I would be playing my first live event!But for most members this would be a dream come true.Mine too.Ihis being so,I would call an pray the poker gods my aces can beat them.I couldn´t fold the best opportunity to triple up.

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
My God! What a difficult situation, but this is a great chance to break into the first positions in the tournament, because that’s what I came to this tournament for, to win. I’ll make the call.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
AA in my hands at WSOP Main Event 10.000 Buy in :) puuuh - well already to be in this tournament is pure joy for a player like me.
This question is not a problem for me, because the answer is i would call because every poker pro would give you the advise not to fold - there is always the possibility to loose with rockets - especially against 2 villains who shove all in before you!
For me it would be harder to fold this hand and see afterwards that i would have trips or still the nuts on the board and be chipleader.
To fold good hands is always hard but for example A-k -A-Q would be easier to forget, usually you get Aces not to times in a day :)!

For exampe if you fold this hand and play on - getting really bad hands for a while, im sure it will be the hardest challenge to stay cool and play your a-game fot the next hours.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Call, definitely. Or maybe all-in, but it's definitely not a fold. There is absolutely no question of a fold in such a situation, I couldn't even think about it :)

Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
All in baby.
Worst case scenario is there are two players with a big pair. Four outs to beat me. So I like the odds.
If you're gonna fold ace ace in that situation, you shouldn't be playing.
Although I have gotten in a lot of trouble by slow playing aces at different times, this isn't one of those times.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i sat, after won a 13k package to WSOPE 2017 in a freeroll, 2h late reg at the table--6 person with me and got in 3rd hand AA---at Button---one minraise in mp , and i did 15 bb raise --sb fold--bb in tank and called--flop was 10 2 4---- bet 10bb-----and fold of bb-----show your Power!

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always want to have such a hand preflop. There has always been and will be risk in poker. But to be honest, I would say, we all learn to play and I think this is the point of our learningI always want to have such a hand preflop. There has always been and will be risk in poker. But to be honest, I would say, we all learn to play and I think this is the point of our learning

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A conversation about ways and thoughts of the game to try to extract information from your opponents, I think is good. However, this attitude of trying to confuse and take away the opponent's concentration, I think is unethical.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I'm playing a tournament in which AA only loses to bigger hands with royal fush or strict flus, there are already more players, even if it's recreational, because a player in a tournament with a 10k buy will never open all in pre flop out of nowhere and someone else will call unless they splot the pot, in my option I would go all in without fear if I lose great, it's part of the game plus one hand practically with a 99% equal chance of hitting but I would fold because when it goes to beat another hand like that during the tournament, it just shows that the tournament wants me to prevail in it!!

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
If you're going to fold aces pre flop, don't even play the tournment.

great chance to triple up and go deep.

Insta call.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, there are two adequate options here.
1. Call
2. All-in
And I definitely wouldn't fold either :)

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A conversation about ways and thoughts of the game to try to extract information from your opponents, I think is good. However, this attitude of trying to confuse and take away the opponent's concentration, I think is unethical.

Hi @amonlima

I think you have answered the question about table banter in the wrong thread?

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Without just maybe I would pay for a triple. The fold is good sometimes, but not in this situation. The decision might be questionable if we were in a more advanced phase of the tournament, for example close to the bubble, if the fold would guarantee us entry into the money, and that amount of money would have a big impact on our bankroll, then maybe but it is not certain that I would also take into consideration the option of folding aces, with regret and pain in my heart in any case... :cautious:o_O:rolleyes::cry::unsure:

:ac4::as4:

I

IrishinSpain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Statistically this is a call as you are not anywhere near the money and have a good opportunity to increase your stack size.

Even AA vs AA vs KK you are 75% favourite so must play as your equity is big, if it is against other hands will be even larger.

~I always remember one tournament where there was AA against A10 and the flop was A1010 and the money went all in
AA Vs A10 it was the very first hand of the main event it was Sammy Farha Vs Oliver Hudson in 2005... Oliver had 1010 and Sammy had A10 Sammy ends with a house As full with Oliver having 10s full....

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I for sure would call. Whether it's the first hand or the 101st it' all the same, as the saying goes you've got to be in it to win it. It's just the thought of busting out first hand that sits like a pineapple in my throat. But you're going to face that same situation many times in a tourney like the main event so I think you gotta go with it

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would call in this situation without even thinking, because two AA in a tournament is a gift from Poker.

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands