Dream hand at the WSOP: How would you play it?

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hehe. I remember a similar question on Cardschat twitter account years ago :D I remember I answered something alone the lines of "I would definitely call, what do you mean?!" And was very suprised to see how a lot would've folded and that it turned out to be a correct answer!!!! I don't know, maybe the number of players who went all-in there was bigger, but still it's true that the equity of pocket aces drops in multiway pots.

I think the question to ask yourself here should go like this - why are you here? Most likely for a one-of-a-kind experience. Obviously the dream is alive to cash and advance as far as possible. So what calling in a marginal situation in the first hand really achieves out of two? Nothing, no one has ever won a tournament in the first hand, and travelling this far, anticipating the tournament only to bust in the very first hand, when you went all in with just an overpair is a bad play and wasted experience. Had you been against just one opponent - you have 80%, against two - it's already 60%. It's nice, but not enough. So now I would fold. But only here, given the circumstances!! In my regular buy-in I would call and rebuy.

Last edited:
Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Without any doubts, I call.
It's just a perfect opportunity, and it's hard for me to imagine how anyone could fold in such a situation, it would be wild :)

Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
A wsop main event is completely different from a freeroll. I don't find it a shame to fold in 1st hand AA. What's more, when 2 players have already pushed the stack into the middle and the AA's equity is therefore correspondingly lower.

P

PRRP2010

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is undoubtedly a risk of being eliminated in the first leg of the tournament.
But it would also be the chance to create a big stack. I would call, because another
chance like this would be difficult to happen, even though I believe that the opponents
should each have a high pair (QQ and KK).

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well, that a very good question.

As someone mentioned before the correct play is to insta-call, but, in the real world, would you really make the call?

My honest answer is I DON'T KNOW.

It depends from the situation:

-If I'm somewhat sure that I will never again have the opportunity to make this trip from Greece to the USA and this will be the one and only chance in my life that I have the opportunity to participate in a WSOP Main Event, I would probably take the decision to fold.

-If this trip to Las Vegas (tickets, hotel accommodation, etc), including the buy-in for the event, came from an all-in-one package I won through an online tournament, I would probably call.

-If only the buy-in for the event came from me winning an online event, but all the other travel expenses would be mine, it's a 50-50 situation.

-If this specific time I play the hand I am in a "lets gamble" or "no guts, no glory"....mode, I would call.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If there are such players who would fold in this situation, then I would advise them to simply find another hobby for themselves, for example, drawing or cooking.
Of course, call :)

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe there is no other move to make other than going All in. I would leave the next chapters of this story to the deck of cards lol.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand or last hand in the tournament makes no difference to me. If I get dealt AA against
2 all-ins I am calling everytime, but I can understand if someone folds but if you want to have a chance
of winning the tournament you have to call.

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Poker is a game where you have to take chances, the AA rate is 0.45%, an hour of playing around 7 to 8 hands, then you need 15 hours for 1 pair in pre-flop. I think I can definitely call with a pair of 10 or more.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Usually, it would be a snap-call for me. But in this case, I really would consider to fold them.
First hand with a completely unknown table so far and thinking this would be probably the only occasion to play the WSOP ME
I guess, I would not want to risk everything in the first hand preflop all-in against two players.

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Even if I played the WSOP Main Event, I would play the same way I always play. With AA in my hand, I would obviously go all-in. If I won this hand, my stack would triple and the game would be much more comfortable. What if I lost this hand? Nothing would happen, life would go on.

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands