Dream hand at the WSOP: How would you play it?

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Você finalmente alcança seu sonho e comprou o Main Event WSOP por $10,000! Você chegou ontem em Vegas, é o Dia 1A, e você se senta à sua mesa ansioso para jogar! Esta é a viagem e o torneio de uma vida! Você está no botão em primeira mão e olha para baixo para ver ases de bolso! No entanto, antes que a ação chegue até você, dois outros jogadores fizeram all-in.

O que você faz?
Você liga e potencialmente triplica na 1a mão do Main Event das WSOP? Ou você desiste e garante que não será nocauteado na primeira mão do torneio? Como você jogaria essa mão?

3ece5b6ec398fffd8ade87bf324f2367.png
If I paid the buy-in, it's because I have the structure to do so.
So there are no reasons off the table to give up.
And mathematically, there is no doubt that it will be a call.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
wsop Main event ??? hmmm . $10K tourney , its crazy money , to invest $10K only in a tourney and lose it in the very first hand . that would be very sad

But on the other hand its AA , so i would call , i would call even with 3 players all in , personally i would call with more players in lol . I know the odds , but its AA , if i dont call with AA , with what am i suposed to call then ?? its not a sat at the bubble , its not before FT . Its just the beginning , so i would call

if it was KK , i would fold , i have seen so many bad beats with KK , especially online

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Oh no, most likely I would not be able to invest the entire game of my dreams in one hand and, moreover, in the first hands in the game, simply hoping for luck “albeit with very good chances.” I wouldn't be able to do that and most likely I would press fold!!! This may not be the best solution, but I'm sure there will be many more situations in the tournament where you can double or even triple your stack without playing blind!!!

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I will definitely go all in with AA in hand. Poker is a risk, folding AA in my opinion is stupid, if you don’t take risks with AA in your hand then you don’t need to play poker.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the beginning of the event, and this long time expected event I would play wisely. I would choose to play with the normal bets, of a few bb. I would avoid to go all in because I would play all my participation in the tournament and my presence to the event in just a pair of aces.

Alket21

Alket21

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
AL
Chips
All in.... And you sure win this hand 😊

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definitely call and go all-in in my first hand. It's a risky move, but sometimes you should take risks, regardless of whether it's the first hand or you are deep in the tournament. The only time I would fold aces, for instance, is if it were the bubble, and I'm already in the money, and there's a pay jump. And if I lose this hand there is still plenty other tournaments where you can participate.

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I would fold these cards for several reasons

1) I'm here to win, not lose on the first hand
2) this is not an online tournament where you can register the next day
3) you can't win the entire tournament at the very beginning
4) because I am on the button, there are 2 more players behind me and if I call, they get good odds to enter with a combination hand
5) there will definitely be other hands that can be played profitably
6) AA with two opponents is a coinflip (assuming that SB and BB do not enter the hand, which would make the situation even worse)
7) I love playing post-fop, there you can win a lot of chips

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You finally achieve your dream and have bought into the WSOP Main Event for $10,000! You arrived yesterday in Vegas, it's Day 1A, and you sit at your table eager to play! This is the trip and the tournament of a lifetime! You're on the button in the very first hand and look down to see pocket aces! However, before the action gets to you, two other players have shoved all-in.

What do you do?
Do you call and potentially triple-up in the 1st hand of the WSOP Main Event? Or do you fold and guarantee you will not be knocked out in the first hand of the tournament? How would you play this hand?

3ece5b6ec398fffd8ade87bf324f2367.png
Since I am playing a dream WSOP, and I have a dream hand of AA, I will use a dream strategy and win!

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with AA i think you should all in or 3 bet preflop
in the flop like QQ2 you need to check the range of your Opponent I mean to bet like POT to see the reaction of him
I'm sure if he's NIT or TAG he sould fold if he's a creatif player he gonna call

so in the river if your stack covert him so all in

Baurzhan11

Baurzhan11

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would go all-in and if I participated in this tournament, I would take three bains with me that I would sit confidently and not be afraid that I would lose and if there was no re-entry, I also went all-in because it's not a shame to lose like this with aces

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I call even if it's the first hand because I have good equity and it's an opportunity for me to triple up.

The 2 players who shove probably have premiums like AK, KK, QQ, if they have a pair they would need 4 outs to make set, and if they have AK KK it's complicated for them because everyone blocks the outs of the other.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hard decision... I lost uncountable times with AA. If there was rebuy and I had the money, for sure. But if it was my only shot, I would have to think a lot.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
With my luck I probably hit a set and it gets cracked.
In any game I try to make the best possible decision and leave the rest up to the poker gods so I am calling here all day everyday.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The old adage about you can't win a tournament on the first hand but you can sure lose one comes to mind. But no one ever said I was smart, if I fold aces here I may as well quit poker forever.

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding is not an option in this case

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I hope I was courageous enough to push all my chips to the middle without any hesitation. Of course, I would be trembling and nervous, but could I imagine better situation at the WSOP Main Event start? Not only in the main event itself, but in any tournament. Of course it does not guarantee anything, but the chances of starting with many chips is great.

This reminds me a discussion I've seen in my early days, when I was learning the first pieces of theory. An article proposed the question, "You have AA and go all-in. How many calls do you want to receive?", and I was shocked when the answer was: from everybody, as many players as possible. Suppose you are in a 6-max table. Against 5 random callers, you have 50% chances of winning.

You might say, that's vary bad! But is it? Suppose everybody has a stack worthy $10,000, because it is the first hand. 50% of times you would win 6 stacks, and 50% of times you would lose $10k. The EV would be:

EV = 0,50 * 60,000 - 0,50 * 10,000 => EV = $25,000

If this is not too much realistic, why don't we analyze supposing we are facing close-to-real ranges?

The EV would be: EV = 0,69 * $30,000 - 0,31 * $10,000 = $17,600

One of the worst scenarios would be against hands that are more alive:

But still the EV would be: EV = 0,60 * $30k - 0,40 * $10k = $14,000

But who goes all-in with 65s? Come onnn!

Of course, these calculations are simplistic in terms of chip value at the 1st hand of the tournament. But that's the situation we are in, right?
That's a snap call, and hope to run good that day. If we lose, well, quite sad, but nothing much to do despite having a story to tell further generations.

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I have optimistic attitude and assume previous both players have KK :)
In that case they have only 1% chance to win.

All in!

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Such an interesting topic (y):cool:

Like other members said, I'm here to play poker and try to make the best decisions and not be scared about picking the right spots and I'd hate myself for a very long time(maybe even quit poker), if I fold here and I would have won the hand - with such a big stack everything would be 'easier' later on... and I ended up not reaching ITM anyway...

AA will have in this spot around 70% equity, so even though I understand that this our dream tournament and maybe we've traveled a long distance and prepared for it for a long time and will be just terrible to be knocked out in the 1st hand- this is (IMO) just too good of a spot to miss, so don't be a nit and go with it and hope for the best :)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'd shove it in because that is the right play to make, and is no different decision to make than if it were on the one hundredth hand. If my concern was to stay in as long as I could in order to enjoy the experience I would fold it. But I came to hopefully win, and not just to enjoy the experience, so I'm going to play it the way I would play it at any other time.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
all-in pre-flop with pocket aces, that's my dream coming true or what? I didn't go that distance to fold aces, just put a smile on my face and I'm all-in baby! and them hold, hold, hold!!!

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What do you do?
Do you call and potentially triple-up in the 1st hand of the WSOP Main Event? Or do you fold and guarantee you will not be knocked out in the first hand of the tournament? How would you play this hand?
Your question is very cruel.😱😁

But to answer your question, I would definitely call, close my eyes and pray to all the poker gods, there is no way to fold such a beautiful hand.😁

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Two aces is the best hand on preflop, and poker is always a risk. If you want to play and win, you will never throw away such a hand. I always try to win.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
t's very difficult to say because I believe it will depend a lot on the table you are playing at. If players are tight or more aggressive, that changes the way to play a lot in my opinion.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Its a difficult situation but i would definitely call and take this opportunity to triple up. , If i had KK or QQ i could make the fold but AA worth it, And even if i am out i would never regret losing with AA.

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands