Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

J

JohnCoffee90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
did u ever have a big downswing? how long did it last? have you ever questioned your abilities afterwards?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ryan!

So recently I've started to defend almost 100% of my BB. At least on heads up pots. And it's been working surprisingly well.
But still I don't have a standard flatting/3betting range vs positional opens & considering stack depth etc.

What's your take on this & any ranges/ guides/articles you could point me into??

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan!

So recently I've started to defend almost 100% of my BB. At least on heads up pots. And it's been working surprisingly well.
But still I don't have a standard flatting/3betting range vs positional opens & considering stack depth etc.

What's your take on this & any ranges/ guides/articles you could point me into??
Generally vs opens (when not in blinds) you want to use strong suited hands or pairs as calls (89s,T9s,J9s+,QTs+,KTs+,A9s+), and weak suited hands and off suit broadways as occasional 3b (45s,56s,67s,78s,A2-A5s,KJo+,ATo+).

These should shift a lot based on whos opening and stack depth though.

R

RoboGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will be playing in a multi day event in april. My question is in regards to which day 1 flight to enter. My initial thought is to enter the last day 1, saturday, so that if i advance i can continue where i left off the very next day, and stay in the zone, so to speak. I also think there may be a few more recreation type players in saturday's day 1, since it is a saturday.

thoughts on the subject? thank you

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will be playing in a multi day event in april. My question is in regards to which day 1 flight to enter. My initial thought is to enter the last day 1, saturday, so that if i advance i can continue where i left off the very next day, and stay in the zone, so to speak. I also think there may be a few more recreation type players in saturday's day 1, since it is a saturday.

thoughts on the subject? thank you
The last flight is always the biggest and softest. Make sure you show up early or on time, as the last flight is also most likely to have alternate lists.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourney hands

When I'm playing in tournaments it seems that there are a lot of players going all in early and it causes me to hold potentially winning hands. What I need to know is when should I consider calling this "all-ins" when I'm facing an early out in these tournaments?

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm playing in tournaments it seems that there are a lot of players going all in early and it causes me to hold potentially winning hands. What I need to know is when should I consider calling this "all-ins" when I'm facing an early out in these tournaments?
It supposed that you ask Protential,but if it is allowed i would say my opinion about your question(if i am wrong,Protential can correct me as well):)
From my experience at micro stakes tournaments,there are some players who shove like maniacs even at early stage of a tournament..So in case i have info through hands that this player looks maniac(opens-raises all hands,shove very often/call every raise etc) i use to call their shoves if noone else is in hand with a range of 10s+,AQo+..Ofc sometimes they will have strong hands,but very often you will see them doing it with low pocket pairs,ofsuit Ax+,some K9-KTs,QJs,KJo+ etc..there are few players that literally doing it with any 2,burning their money but there is other situation..For me most important is to have information about what kind of player is and then adjust to it :)

Last edited:
K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,What is the hardest part in tournament and which players u think is the hardest to play against them?
How u obtaining which player is skillful and which are fish?Does something they pretend to play silly or change tactics?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Need to spend tome with equity calculators and see how much equity your hands have vs their ranges.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,What is the hardest part in tournament and which players u think is the hardest to play against them?
How u obtaining which player is skillful and which are fish?Does something they pretend to play silly or change tactics?
How much you have to adjust based on stack size and stage of tournament.

By rating how good of decisions they make.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

What kind of converter/hand replayer you prefer to use when it comes on analyzing hands?

if its one that might not accept all formats , would like to also know what you prefer for that?

TY

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,

What kind of converter/hand replayer you prefer to use when it comes on analyzing hands?

if its one that might not accept all formats , would like to also know what you prefer for that?

TY
Pokertracker 4 is the best way to review and study hands in a replayer.

Works on pretty much every site.

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi I got told you may be able to tell me whether I’m correct with this thanks So am I right in thinking I use the cards in my hand and on the on the felt aswell as well as the chips in the pot to calculate what percentage of the pot is mine which would give me pot equity

Eg I’m dealt AA I’d have about 85 percent chance of winning before the flop so I raise to 1000 and someone calls with JJ and the flop came 2 7 8 id have about 90% chance of winning which would give me a pot equity of 1800 chips

Can anyone confirm whether I’m on the right lines with this as if I am I’ll start diving even deeper into it thanks

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi I got told you may be able to tell me whether I’m correct with this thanks So am I right in thinking I use the cards in my hand and on the on the felt aswell as well as the chips in the pot to calculate what percentage of the pot is mine which would give me pot equity

Eg I’m dealt AA I’d have about 85 percent chance of winning before the flop so I raise to 1000 and someone calls with JJ and the flop came 2 7 8 id have about 90% chance of winning which would give me a pot equity of 1800 chips

Can anyone confirm whether I’m on the right lines with this as if I am I’ll start diving even deeper into it thanks
Pot = 2k, you are 90% to win.

.90x2000 = 1800

Yup. :)

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you play on BB when everyone fold exept dealer or SB who raise you and try to steal your blinds in late stage of tournament?Do your reaction depends of your cards or opponents?

D

Dream Slayer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am curious if you find it easier to play higher stakes tournaments , say $50 rather than low stakes, say $12 and below.
It is frustrating playing the small stakes games between the constant all-in and bad but obviously sometimes lucky play
Just curious, forgetting bankroll for a moment
Which do you find easier. Easier is not the correct word but I think you may understand
Thanks

K

klada152

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am curious if you find it easier to play higher stakes tournaments , say $50 rather than low stakes, say $12 and below.
It is frustrating playing the small stakes games between the constant all-in and bad but obviously sometimes lucky play
Just curious, forgetting bankroll for a moment
Which do you find easier. Easier is not the correct word but I think you may understand
Thanks

first of all there are donks everywhere.It's harder my couse on lower stakes you chip up because of mistakes of your opponents and in higher stakes people better play short stacks.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I play cash games but I don't know how to play tournaments, they last a long time and after one unsuccessful hand you can finish the game without a penny after several hours of play. Advise me please, how to start getting used to tournament poker? There are any methods?

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CardsChat Sponsored Pro. 9 year professional. $4million+ in cashes.
1 WSOP Gold Bracelet. 6 WSOP Final Tables.
Is it about him? He's so cool? I'm shocked !!! Come on guys, you're kidding me:)

R

RoboGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well ive made it to day 2 of the MSPT regional. I will be short stacked though (slightly over 7 BBs) and suggestions for studying up on push/fold ranges by position?

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan, how are you I like to play poker tournaments, especially live. Because I feel I can get much more information from the opponent. My question is regarding live tournaments, which I recommend to calculate the odds of hands, or as you do in these tournaments. Thanks and regards

Verdue167

Verdue167

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody in this thread asked what is your ITM%? And what is a good ITM% (for a pro)? I am asking this.

edit: perhaps ROI is more important, you look more to that?

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any advice heading into the Colossus Event #7 with the Cardchat members? I noticed a lot of us are playing the Monday morning flight. It would be fantastic if we all drew the same table. :) Sometimes while playing live my emotions run high. I get very fired up when making a great read or lay down. Does yelling or jumping out of your chair while fist pumping motivate you to propel to the Final Table? I remember Khan while on wsop coverage a few years back. He jumped around like a monkey while screaming after every hand. Hess last year in his colorful outfit and upfront personality landed him a Final Table. Can you win more with intimidation or with math?

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is the Protential entering the forum or not?I watch it for a long time was not: (