Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

Infinity Objective

Infinity Objective

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I work exceptionally hard and have spent my entire career networking. Networking has enabled me to meet some of the best in the industry, discussing with them has enabled my gane to grow dramatically.

If you want to make it in the industry it requires hard work and volume. No way around it. In fact starting yesterday, between then and April 9th I have 4 scheduled days off. I expect to work more than 500 hours over the next 11 weeks. Ill then get 3 weeks to relax, then from start of may until end of July ill work around 700 hours.

If i didnt love the game and didnt desire to be successful this grind would burn me out. Also itd burn me out if i didnt find balance every day (hangout with fiance every day before I go work).

Thank you for your transparency. I intentionally handicapped the questions because getting to know you here, I thought you were up to the task. Your answers were in depth, personal, and show a work ethic equivalent parallel to the greatest successes of our time within and outside of poker.

Maybe, we’ll get back to question 1 when you are in the 8-9 figure range in earnings which apparently your talent (and love of the game maintaining) will be commensurate that kind of success - we're rooting for you and Chris. You are a real master. :)

jhunnyorcruz

jhunnyorcruz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Qual variação de poker que você gosta?

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome, thanks a lot for your answers. Will consider joining RYE if i will continue with my current motivation and results. Will also join the discords, that was something i was looking for. I do like HU SNG's a lot, but i find multitabling those prety hard and like to have some volume during a session. I love MTT's a lot more over SNG's though, but DoN SNG's are very interesting for me right now, and those are teaching me a lot about ICM.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
funny question..
Is there a rule of thumb or a mathematical approach to bluffing(Both pure & Semi) in tourneys considering stack depth & ICM considerations & etc??
I'm speaking about double triple barrels, check raise bluffs where you must be willing to risk 1/2 of your stack or more probably.
I find it that people fold less in tourneys (at least at my stakes) than in cash so some strategies might not be viable in a sense considering other things I mentioned earlier as well.
ex - assassinato blind defense

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
starting from a 20$ bankroll, how much i should play for a tournament?
At most $0.25 unless you dont mind adding another $20+ if you go broke.

Assume you can lose 100 entries.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
funny question..
Is there a rule of thumb or a mathematical approach to bluffing(Both pure & Semi) in tourneys considering stack depth & ICM considerations & etc??
I'm speaking about double triple barrels, check raise bluffs where you must be willing to risk 1/2 of your stack or more probably.
I find it that people fold less in tourneys (at least at my stakes) than in cash so some strategies might not be viable in a sense considering other things I mentioned earlier as well.
ex - assassinato blind defense

Yes there is. Everything in tournament poker is math based and should consider icm.

K

kened2112

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hyper turbo

In a hyper turbo tournament, what cards should I play so that the blinds do not consume me?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a hyper turbo tournament, what cards should I play so that the blinds do not consume me?
Learn push/fold strategy. Plenty of great programs and charts out there to help.

I suggest getting SnapShove.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the average latereg/rebuy frequency of succesful players in higher Tournaments?For me it's unbelievable, but I've seen it! Players just latereg and rebuy these small amounts of 215$ just as often as they need to get into the game. Do you have any experience if this is just usual in bigger tournaments? Do I have to count on that when it comes to middle stage/latereg end (but still hours of unlimited rebuys) ?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the average latereg/rebuy frequency of succesful players in higher Tournaments?For me it's unbelievable, but I've seen it! Players just latereg and rebuy these small amounts of 215$ just as often as they need to get into the game. Do you have any experience if this is just usual in bigger tournaments? Do I have to count on that when it comes to middle stage/latereg end (but still hours of unlimited rebuys) ?
Depends on the game and structure and perceived edge.

Anytime i re-enter I view it as though im playing a brand new tournament and make my decision independently of whether ive played it before.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are there tourney structures you avoid?

Are there tourney structures you prefer?

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the game and structure and perceived edge.

Anytime i re-enter I view it as though im playing a brand new tournament and make my decision independently of whether ive played it before.

I was referring to the MDS on ACR 265$ buy-in). I got there by sat's :

1. Freeroll (0.50 rebuy/1$ add-on) 5 seats - only about 30 rebuys/ 0 add-ons!
2. 5,50 to the 150 seats guaranteed 3 seats - we were three players left and only waiting for latereg to end, then came a new guy and he rebought like 25 times, always all-in, but finally he got his seat. He could have bought three entries, but ok, I guess he was thinking it is already the seat to the MDS, not another SAT
3. 44$ Buy-in -150 seats GTD - unfortunately I don't have records here, I was too busy staying in the tournament while a CC freeroll was going on :) , but at the end 169 places were paid, so there were some counted for.

4. The MDS Million Dollar Sunday - unfortunately I was obliged to play from the beginning with 5 hours latereg, and I didn't make it far.

And here's the more precise question:

If I were rich, I would spare up my time, latereg in the last minute and buy an add-on, I guees that would bring me to an average stack, or at least I can stay a while whithout big pressure to await my hand or maybe eat some shortstacked (still working on a strategy).
Is that a common behavior? Do "best" players do that a lot?

Last edited:
godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for taking your time to answer questions here Protenrial. I hope these questions fall under the guidelines here. 1.When cashing in a live tournament that has an amount deducted out of each buy in and applied to a dealer toke pool, what is considered a fair tip (gratuity) and what is considered a good tip to leave to the dealer pool? 2. Is there some sort of formula you use when tipping after a tournament cash? 3. When winning an amount that you have to pay taxes on in a tournament, does the tip that I write in on the cash out form become tax deductible? Thanks again!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was referring to the MDS on ACR 265$ buy-in). I got there by sat's :

1. Freeroll (0.50 rebuy/1$ add-on) 5 seats - only about 30 rebuys/ 0 add-ons!
2. 5,50 to the 150 seats guaranteed 3 seats - we were three players left and only waiting for latereg to end, then came a new guy and he rebought like 25 times, always all-in, but finally he got his seat. He could have bought three entries, but ok, I guess he was thinking it is already the seat to the MDS, not another SAT
3. 44$ Buy-in -150 seats GTD - unfortunately I don't have records here, I was too busy staying in the tournament while a CC freeroll was going on :) , but at the end 169 places were paid, so there were some counted for.

4. The MDS Million Dollar Sunday - unfortunately I was obliged to play from the beginning with 5 hours latereg, and I didn't make it far.

And here's the more precise question:

If I were rich, I would spare up my time, latereg in the last minute and buy an add-on, I guees that would bring me to an average stack, or at least I can stay a while whithout big pressure to await my hand or maybe eat some shortstacked (still working on a strategy).
Is that a common behavior? Do "best" players do that a lot?
Best llayers reg as early as possible in larger relative buy-ins, if they late reg stuff its due to table space restrictions.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for taking your time to answer questions here Protenrial. I hope these questions fall under the guidelines here. 1.When cashing in a live tournament that has an amount deducted out of each buy in and applied to a dealer toke pool, what is considered a fair tip (gratuity) and what is considered a good tip to leave to the dealer pool? 2. Is there some sort of formula you use when tipping after a tournament cash? 3. When winning an amount that you have to pay taxes on in a tournament, does the tip that I write in on the cash out form become tax deductible? Thanks again!

1.Depends on player, I only tip when I FT, as they have the X% they remove already, and I tip pretty low%.

3. I dont, but Im sure you could.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can math be wrong at some points? Here s the thing. HUSNG on the flop you have around 30 percent equity. Villain shoves. You have 3 times the pot in chips. Mathematically you should call but it is only 30 to 70 dog. Can you fold here if you think you have edge over him and wait for better spot or trust the math and ship with 1/3 dog?

woonybet

woonybet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much do you depend on HUD's? And would you consider them worth the cost.

Additional, does it not affect your live play? No HUD's there :)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1.Depends on player, I only tip when I FT, as they have the X% they remove already, and I tip pretty low%.

3. I dont, but Im sure you could.

not trying to hijack here....but when I've cashed amounts large enough to fill out tax paperwork (yay!) and done a tip at the cage....it comes right off my reportable profits on the paperwork. in other words....yes they take it out for you.

MrKarasev

MrKarasev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about free tournaments in different poker rooms in which you can win real money?

it's worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think about free tournaments in different poker rooms in which you can win real money?
Not bad way for beginner players to learn the mechanics of the game, but no way to play and practice like putting up real $$.

Dale Kirk

Dale Kirk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does the betonline satellite tournaments work? What I mean is do I have to play each one? Also where do I post if trying to get in freeroll?

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question

Thank you for this thread. My question is this; Do you change your playing modality during the final table or even past the bubble? I play pretty conservatively throughout MTT's but sometimes feel the pressure to play more aggressively as the tournament winds down. Mostly due to incredibly high blinds. Is that why poker on tv is more exciting, because they need to play aggressively and its the final table? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for this thread. My question is this; Do you change your playing modality during the final table or even past the bubble? I play pretty conservatively throughout MTT's but sometimes feel the pressure to play more aggressively as the tournament winds down. Mostly due to incredibly high blinds. Is that why poker on tv is more exciting, because they need to play aggressively and its the final table? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Yup, my game shifts wildly depending on stack sizes, opponents, and stage of the tournament.