Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

mst32ro

mst32ro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is the Protential entering the forum or not?I watch it for a long time was not: (

maybe Protential have another business to run , like playing tournaments....we must all thank him for the time allocated to answer our question. :)

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe Protential have another business to run , like playing tournaments....we must all thank him for the time allocated to answer our question. :)
Yes, of course, many people still believe that someone in heaven hears them. Maybe he also has his own business ... a tournament of some kind for example ?!But people hope for him.I'm not complaining, I just asked.:)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you play on BB when everyone fold exept dealer or SB who raise you and try to steal your blinds in late stage of tournament?Do your reaction depends of your cards or opponents?
Mix of both. Poker is always situational to: Hand+Dynamics.

I defend and 3b from the BB very wide though, I play more than 40% of the time from the blinds.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am curious if you find it easier to play higher stakes tournaments , say $50 rather than low stakes, say $12 and below.
It is frustrating playing the small stakes games between the constant all-in and bad but obviously sometimes lucky play
Just curious, forgetting bankroll for a moment
Which do you find easier. Easier is not the correct word but I think you may understand
Thanks
The smaller the stakes and the worse your opponents the higher your possible edge. Id rather play vs freeroll players in a highstakes game than vs regs.

Regs can be more predictable, but my edge is muchhhh larger vs the recreational players.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I play cash games but I don't know how to play tournaments, they last a long time and after one unsuccessful hand you can finish the game without a penny after several hours of play. Advise me please, how to start getting used to tournament poker? There are any methods?
Have to focus on making good decisions, not on cashing/etc.

If you want to succeed in poker, only care about what you can controll (your play). Stop caring about your results (luck!).

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CardsChat Sponsored Pro. 9 year professional. $4million+ in cashes.
1 WSOP Gold Bracelet. 6 WSOP Final Tables.
Is it about him? He's so cool? I'm shocked !!! Come on guys, you're kidding me:)
Thank you :)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well ive made it to day 2 of the MSPT regional. I will be short stacked though (slightly over 7 BBs) and suggestions for studying up on push/fold ranges by position?
Get the program SnapShove.

Best $$ in poker you will spend!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan, how are you I like to play poker tournaments, especially live. Because I feel I can get much more information from the opponent. My question is regarding live tournaments, which I recommend to calculate the odds of hands, or as you do in these tournaments. Thanks and regards
I dont understand what you are trying to ask, please rephrase.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nobody in this thread asked what is your ITM%? And what is a good ITM% (for a pro)? I am asking this.

edit: perhaps ROI is more important, you look more to that?
My ITM% is around 20-25% online and 25-30% live.

Usually 1.5 to 2x what it pays in % of field.

ROI is farrrrr more important!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any advice heading into the Colossus Event #7 with the Cardchat members? I noticed a lot of us are playing the Monday morning flight. It would be fantastic if we all drew the same table. :) Sometimes while playing live my emotions run high. I get very fired up when making a great read or lay down. Does yelling or jumping out of your chair while fist pumping motivate you to propel to the Final Table? I remember Khan while on WSOP coverage a few years back. He jumped around like a monkey while screaming after every hand. Hess last year in his colorful outfit and upfront personality landed him a Final Table. Can you win more with intimidation or with math?
Fistpumping and cheering/etc will make people think you are a weak player and new to wsop.

Letting emotions run high or low lets them control you and your game.

Control them and be stoic and you can be much more successful.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is the Protential entering the forum or not?I watch it for a long time was not: (
Ive been very very busy!

Last 2 months had almost 0 days off. Will try to post more regularly!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had very bad luck in my tournaments during these last two weeks, do you recommend that I stop playing minor or stop playing for a few days?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had very bad luck in my tournaments during these last two weeks, do you recommend that I stop playing minor or stop playing for a few days?
Whether you run bad or good doesnt matter.

Play well and constantly improve and use good bankroll management and game selection and results will follow.

Those who focus on luck are completely misguided!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fistpumping and cheering/etc will make people think you are a weak player and new to wsop.

Love this advice!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whether you run bad or good doesnt matter.

Play well and constantly improve and use good bankroll management and game selection and results will follow.

Those who focus on luck are completely misguided!
thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks for the comments! Appreciate it! See you in June! :)

I will try and keep it to a dull roar after I snap someone off. ;)

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's an excellent read. Well worth the time. I'd also recommend "The Course" by Ed Miller if you haven't already picked that up.

J

Jsmooth41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Protential,

Could you explain to me what ICM means? I understand the basic but dont know how to apply it...Is there a chart or something that i could use that you know of?

arnaldo

arnaldo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Protential, hello from brazil

There are cool questions that were already answered in past posts. But let's try a new one. I've been playing SnG 9man 50¢ for a while @pokerstars and I feel that all theory and articles available are old-fashioned and don't focus to exploit players.

I've seeing in tables 1 type of winner player [based on their stats in sharkscope]:

- Nit players who dosen't play post flop games and wait cards above JJ+ and AK to open shove in any phase of the game and open wide, but not too much, close to middle and bubble to keep stacks for ITM.

For myself this is kind a robot or AI to play poker.

My question: There is an up to date article or vid or book that goes beyond and teach how to play as a solid winner?

All the Best,

Arnaldo

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decided to practice big stack poker for the Colossus. Stayed calm through every hand and tried not to flinch.

Attachments

• ribby wins play 500k.JPG
    ribby wins play 500k.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 90
PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I'm from Kazakhstan. in the middle stage of the tournament and on the bubble having a large stack, I strongly replay my hands and start to make mistakes, can you advise a strategy, or a table with hands and how to play them? Thank you

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hello, I have a question about something that seems to be reaching epidemic proportions on the CardsChat freerolls lateley: Bluffing into dry side pots.

Over a half a dozen times in the last couple of weeks, I've witnessed players with big stacks bluffing off other players with stacks (read ME!) when the short stack (which is usually dead) is blinded All-In PreFlop. I had spent almost all of my online poker time on PokerStars before joining CC and signing up for a slew of sites (current count is seven). On PS, All-In dead stacks are folded, the hand is almost never live (except when the dead stack has exactly the amount of the Big Blind) On almost all other sites, it seems that dead stacks that are All-In are live to showdown.

My question is; what is the point of bluffing off an opponent rather than taking the hand to showdown with two or more hands to play against a small amount of dead money. Bear in mind that the Blind size was not a significant part of anyone's stack (except for dead money's) and no one bluffing, or being bluffed off the hand would be significantly impacted by the pot. It seems to me to have been just a matter of the big stack saying "if I can't win it, no one can, and I don't care if the dead stack survives another hand".

I find this behaviour infuriatingly counter-productive. Last week, a dead stack on the Final Table of the partypoker FR laddered up two spots because the big stack was "protecting" him by raising preflop whenever DM was All-In. The only sensible reason (outside of collusion) that I could come up with, was that the big stack preferred the dynamic of having the dead money around. I'm pretty sure that would not be the reason given if you asked the big stack.

As I mentioned before, this activity has become so prevalent, I'm just wondering if this is some kind of "thing". Did Doug Polk just blog about picking up all the pennies and nickels while the ignorant masses are foolishly trying to eliminate the dead money players and ladder up?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Yeah, I clearly see the same trend in our games!And last night I find out that there are solid reasons to act like this, as I was a chip leader in the Monthly PS game almost all the time with huge advantage to the rest of the filed. When we reach FT, I somehow started to play rather nitty - not putting enough pressure on short stacks, and step by step - as just you mentioned - few of the opponents laddered up in no time.
When I realized my mistake - it was too late! I lost my domination role when we left 5 or 6 on the table, so best that I could do was finishing 4th.

So yes, there is something true what you are placing as question!
Looking forward what Ryan would have as a comment :top:

S

Sido_Obc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
I started Grinding STT 3 weeks ago and everything went very well, now I'm facing a little downswing I Think what make think about some Questions :
- How much % of our BR we can invest in one session ? (I used 12-15%)
- How much session we permit our self in a day using the % above ?
- If we feel that it's a bad swing move down the limite immediately even if we have more than 60-70 Buyins ?
- What is the average ROI and ITM at the STTs ?