Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What tips are there for Omaha tournaments.I know you won your bracelet in Omaha PLO if I am not mistaken.

B

Bowanawana2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have yet to read a poker book or a golf book except for the "Little Red Book". But my Tourny stratagy is this. #1 This is going to take some time, so be prepared ( no distractions) #2 Play only blinds and button unless delt pairs, Then play like double dueces #3 only play if willing to go all in
Those are my basic rules.
Your thoughts

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Know what the blinds and antes equal to ahead of time, then adding a few extra bets to that is pretty easy.

Being able to always know potsize is important, as it shows you are paying a decent amount of attention to the total action.

I know you asked Ryan but I start with memorizing the UTG range (first memorize pocket pairs then offsuit hands then suited hands). Once I have that done I go to each next position and just memorize the added hands. It’s pretty easy until the button where it usually expands a lot.

I test myself constantly while playing. When I fold a hand In a certain position I say to myself “ok at this stack depth I would open XYZ” then I look at my phone and check myself. This also gives the appearance to my table mates that I’m just addicted to texting or Facebook and not paying attention to the action which I think is a good cover. :)

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you calibrate to Omaha tournaments...seems like a luck fest to me. This is insane 9 max PLO. Any tips?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What tips are there for Omaha tournaments.I know you won your bracelet in Omaha PLO if I am not mistaken.
Play conseratively. If you have very aggressive opponents on your left you should limp instead of raise.

ICM in plo tournaments is very tricky, have to play very carefully near money bubble and when deep.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have yet to read a poker book or a golf book except for the "Little Red Book". But my Tourny stratagy is this. #1 This is going to take some time, so be prepared ( no distractions) #2 Play only blinds and button unless delt pairs, Then play like double dueces #3 only play if willing to go all in
Those are my basic rules.
Your thoughts

1 is good.

2 is very wrong.

3 is very wrong.

B

Bowanawana2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what advice would you give to the card dead syndrome?

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan,

What tips/books do you recommend reading to shift from ABC poker to a more LAG based approach?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bubble boyed the 1,204 member $50k max Omaha tournament freebuy yesterday.I just was scared to play top two pair because in Omaha things are crazy. Lost when I hit thrip 10's and opponet had a set on river for a full house.I need more tips on Omaha...I played aggressive and conservative came in 3 out of 1204 which pissed me off like no other.How should my bluffing frequency be? I almost never bluff in Omaha.

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello...

My question is, do you keep player chat on or off? Do other players bug you with their crap attitudes or do you just ignore it. Do you screw with other players online at your tables or taunt them or no words at all? ..... Thank you.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan,

What tips/books do you recommend reading to shift from ABC poker to a more LAG based approach?

"Excelling at no limit holdem" by Jonathan Little

Then join RunItOnce and go through their learning paths.

Then get the RaiseYourEdge "MasterClass" package.

I bubble boyed the 1,204 member $50k max Omaha tournament freebuy yesterday.I just was scared to play top two pair because in Omaha things are crazy. Lost when I hit thrip 10's and opponet had a set on river for a full house.I need more tips on Omaha...I played aggressive and conservative came in 3 out of 1204 which pissed me off like no other.How should my bluffing frequency be? I almost never bluff in Omaha.

Omaha = play tight pre, play aggressive post.

My question is, do you keep player chat on or off? Do other players bug you with their crap attitudes or do you just ignore it. Do you screw with other players online at your tables or taunt them or no words at all? ..... Thank you.

I keep it on, but dont really use it at all.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi my question is I was running pretty deep in a $109 buyin turbo deepstack tournament last night with average stack and 15 BB left getting close to the bubble i limp in with 88 and facing an Allin against similar stack I call and lost a flip versus AK is this the correct play in this situation?? I made some mistakes during the tournament with over betting when I had nut flush on the river and playing premium pockets to aggressively post flop.

Last edited:
Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Ryan what do you think about spin n gos?

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips Ryan. Have a good one! :D

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of tourneys would you recommend for a player of a cash game background?
I have an edge on deep stacked play but I dislike playing long hours.

Also out of a higher gtd bigger pool tourney & a lower gtd lower player pool tourney what should you choose? (Same buyin)

Also as a cash player who wants to play tourneys on the side profitably, do you have an slight idea/suggestion of how much volume I should put & the ROI I should expect to have?

Also the tourney buyin limit in comparison with the stakes you are profitably playing cash? (Skill edge)
Ex - a winning 10NLer can play x max buyin tourneys with a skill edge

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of tourneys would you recommend for a player of a cash game background?
I have an edge on deep stacked play but I dislike playing long hours.

Also out of a higher gtd bigger pool tourney & a lower gtd lower player pool tourney what should you choose? (Same buyin)

Also as a cash player who wants to play tourneys on the side profitably, do you have an slight idea/suggestion of how much volume I should put & the ROI I should expect to have?

Also the tourney buyin limit in comparison with the stakes you are profitably playing cash? (Skill edge)
Ex - a winning 10NLer can play x max buyin tourneys with a skill edge

Should focus on small field, reg speed, preferably 6max, 8/9 ok as well. This will give you deep stacks but shorter length of play.

Volume depends on how much time and effort you can put towards it. Roi depends on a lot of factors as well, but id expect your early stages Evbb to be very good, so if you learn shorter stack play and ICM theory, you can do great.

Id expect a good winning 10nl player (7evbb+) to be able to do very well in early stages of mtt up to $55. But in order to convert to good winning player will have to learn other skills needed.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,Ryan! I play at PS and Party,was looking to add another site,what would be your recommendation?:) (i play 6-max and KO tournys mostly)

I'm going to give 888 a go tonight just to change it up a bit I've herd nothing but good things plus they are giving u 100 % deposit deal.. deposit 20 and they give u 20. Also I watch a streams of ppl playing 888 and there seems to be a good verity of tournaments on there
Wish me luck

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as you recommend to keep playing tournaments with a medium / high stack and do not fall short stack most of the tournament?

J

JohnCoffee90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey potential! Happy new year to you and thank you for answering all the questions.

1) When is the time to only push/fold? 10 Bbs? 20bbs? Maybe even more?

2)How wide do you open when stealing blinds in late stages? When avg stack is like 25bbs. Only playable hands or also junk like 10-6 depending on the blinds?
E.g. tight players in the blinds, would u open any two if folded to you on the btn?

Thank you:)

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Ryan,
If become a coach, this greatly helps to improve play? Should we strive for this? How soon can see the result? Thank you!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ryan,
If become a coach, this greatly helps to improve play? Should we strive for this? How soon can see the result? Thank you!
Yes!

If you get coaching you can see increased play and understanding immediately, can take tome and volume to convert to successful results though!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey potential! Happy new year to you and thank you for answering all the questions.

1) When is the time to only push/fold? 10 Bbs? 20bbs? Maybe even more?

2)How wide do you open when stealing blinds in late stages? When avg stack is like 25bbs. Only playable hands or also junk like 10-6 depending on the blinds?
E.g. tight players in the blinds, would u open any two if folded to you on the btn?

Thank you:)

1) ONLY? Under 10bb. Plenty of raising spots with 12bb+.

2)Depends on position and whos behind. I'd open any2 with bad tight players in blinds from btn.

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ryan, Americans and Germans more than others win money in live MTT poker? Is it because of having a strong poker school? Or the reasons in other?