Handling a disconnect when playing online

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my internet provider is starting to p me off. it cuts out and reboots by itself at rando times, yesterday i had made a boat and had bet 98% of my stack , villain raised me all in and bam net cuts out and i'm timed out and insta folded. needless to sy i need new headphones

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In General, it depends on the provider that provides You with Internet services. Of course happened more than once when the signal was lost, for example forgot to replenish the balance). There were also cases when there were failures at pokerstars, but the next day they reimbursed the money spent on the tournament, depending on its stage.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in Bulgaria the internet is not the best, but it disconnects me rarely. Not to flex, but it stopped 3 times for 10 years while i was playing poker, Ofcourse i don't want to say strong words so it doesn't really happen, but in the end my internet is pretty ok.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just don't download "interesting" torrents the same time you play poker.

J

jfitzg414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have come to the conclusion that online play is too easily manipulated by the provider. It is not regulated and the provider gets to dictate the program. After some research I believe you are AI profiled. I would like to hear some thoughts on this. Ex.
After 5-10 hands my id seems to be targeted to get small wins then provided a great hand just to be trashed by a river or turn 1 in 3 chance card. once maybe but multiple times no I think I will stay at the tables where u get a non programmed shuffle and deal.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard wire in, i have been screwed so many times by wireless routers

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few times I've lost my position in a tournament, do too poor internet connection, and in the end lost it.:mad:

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think every player at one point or another has lost a connection, only to reconnect a see that you have benn eliminated! Ugh! It actually happened to me tonight but luckily I was only playing freerolls and actually reconnected to find myself in the money but out shortly after that.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh man can that be frustrating or what.. It's not so much of a problem in long tournaments (especially in the early stages) as it is on the hyper-turbos where there are only 6 players playing. In a matter of couple of minutes - you are either out or so low stacked that you are basically out.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes this can be one of the more frustrating things about online poker. Good thing these days most people own a cell phone that is capable of becoming a wireless hotspot. This gives ya 2 options for internet at most times.

Sure beats the days of rushing to mcdonalds to try and finish an mtt on your laptop :) !

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it has happened in the middle of the game but just few times

Krypton173

Krypton173

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just made a new deposit on ACR and am really dedicating to crushing the microstakes sit and gos, and I was running pretty hot for a few tourneys, and in one I made the final 3 as chip leader and lost connection. Got it back after an hour and checked to find the obvious: I finished 3rd. Of course this is only a few dollars difference in the long run, but as a pretty obsessive person I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Variance I can handle, bad beats I can take, but when I'm playing my 100% and some force f*cks me up, idk how to overcome that.

Just another reason added to why I much prefer playing live.

You can't really do much, maybe have 2-3 different internet connections if that's not an option then you should move to cash games and minimise your losses.
Ex: Let's say you play 6 tables of $10 SNGs, if your internet drops for 30 minutes you are down 6 buy-ins if you play the same in cash games you only lose whats in the pot, witch can be maximum 1 buy-in or nothing. ;)

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've lost internet connection many times. It's extremely frustrating and now i have a little bit of a better connection. Once i couldn't get my connection on for a few hours. I know the hassle of not having a connection in the middle of a tournament.

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya ive gotten disconnected several times i hate it

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, there are Internet failures. But usually I don’t pay attention to most of the failures. But the Internet has disappeared twice when I had a pair of AA on my hands.
:eek:

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember same situation happened to me once and I was so deep on that tournament last 32 then I lost my internet after like 1 hours I'm back to find my stack on 5big blinds hahaha that was a bit sad after a long run.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although we have had fiber optic cable internet for a couple years now in West Panama there are frequent power outages and to a lesser extent internet outages. Here are all of the things I use in case of an outage of either.

I have a battery backup which the router is plugged into which keeps the internet alive for 3 hours in case of a power outage.

Two mobile phones have the Apps for the poker rooms I play at and the one with the mobile data plan has an App that acts as a WIFI hot spot. This is a great internet backup to continue playing on my laptop in case of a short power outage.

Usually in the case of an internet outage the mobile data often still works. If not I know its a large scale outage and there is nothing I can do.

If the power outage goes long I have an inverter in the car and extension cords that can run into the house to provide power for the laptop and phones. Keeping the engine running is easier and preferable to using a gasoline generator. I did this in the last power outage which was during my first Sunday Millions and allowed me to do my best and finish in the money unaffected by the outage.

I do miss the convenience and reliability of the things we take for granted when living in the United States at times like these.

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We might be losing our internet anytime now, theres a large forestfire near one of the other communities near here, the main fibre optics run thorough there and it comes to mine and 5-7 other communities around here

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it has happened to me, my internet provider is constant, but sometimes, out of the blue I get kicked off the connection due to system updates... And yes this has happened while playing a tournament.

My solution is to have a backup plan, I also have poketstars on my phone, and since I don't necessarily require wifi to have internet, I can resume my game there. Losing maybe a minute or so of gameplay.

The real problem is when the electricity is also out and your phone is about to die... But I have a backup phone too lol... If the battery runs out of that one, then I can consider myself screwed lol.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it has happened to me, my internet provider is constant, but sometimes, out of the blue I get kicked off the connection due to system updates... And yes this has happened while playing a tournament.

My solution is to have a backup plan, I also have poketstars on my phone, and since I don't necessarily require wifi to have internet, I can resume my game there. Losing maybe a minute or so of gameplay.

The real problem is when the electricity is also out and your phone is about to die... But I have a backup phone too lol... If the battery runs out of that one, then I can consider myself screwed lol.

I Think with "PokerStars" We've all been there... Check out this post to see how to deal with Connection issues to Poker Server while rest of Internet has perfect coverage...

PokerStars Connection Issues, How to Investigate!

Last edited:
Dairenji

Dairenji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This has happened to me so many times that I have learned to just get on it.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Don't want to talk about it.. [emoji23]

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fortunately it has never happened to me, but what has is that I get unepectedly folded for no reason at all, and I didn't fold.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just make sure you have the poker app installed, and just use your phone if that happens

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands