Handling a disconnect when playing online

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online players: ever lose internet while playing?

I just made a new deposit on ACR and am really dedicating to crushing the microstakes sit and gos, and I was running pretty hot for a few tourneys, and in one I made the final 3 as chip leader and lost connection. Got it back after an hour and checked to find the obvious: I finished 3rd. Of course this is only a few dollars difference in the long run, but as a pretty obsessive person I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Variance I can handle, bad beats I can take, but when I'm playing my 100% and some force f*cks me up, idk how to overcome that.

Just another reason added to why I much prefer playing live.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just made a new deposit on ACR and am really dedicating to crushing the microstakes sit and gos, and I was running pretty hot for a few tourneys, and in one I made the final 3 as chip leader and lost connection. Got it back after an hour and checked to find the obvious: I finished 3rd. Of course this is only a few dollars difference in the long run, but as a pretty obsessive person I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Variance I can handle, bad beats I can take, but when I'm playing my 100% and some force f*cks me up, idk how to overcome that.

I happened once in a tournament in pokerstars, only 15 players, I AA in the button, player SB goes allin and the internet lost the signal, I almost had a heart attack of anger

S

sirgobbles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve had the same happen to me... I had AA in small blind had two others go all in... just as I went to call I lost internet... fortunately for me I would have lost to a straight 🙂

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I use two channels of internet connection.
In addition, I still have a mobile Internet.
In fact, I do not have such annoying cases.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I live at an apartment right now so unfortunately I don't have many options when it comes to internet. If it goes out in the middle of the night... I'm fu**ed!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has happened to me a few times, but the one that I just wrote in the last post was the most traumatizing for me, because it was a BOUNTY BUILDER KO tournament of BUY/IN $ 4.40, it was a year ago, I had nightmares

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use two channels of internet connection.
In addition, I still have a mobile Internet.
In fact, I do not have such annoying cases.
is a very good option but dangerous, the security system of the poker room can detect something unusual with the IP address and you can freeze the accounts, after a verification of the support of the poker room you re-enable the account, have careful with that!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
is a very good option but dangerous, the security system of the poker room can detect something unusual with the IP address and you can freeze the accounts, after a verification of the support of the poker room you re-enable the account, have careful with that!

You are absolutely right.
I already had a situation, when the security service PokerStar, blocked my account. But after giving a scan of all the necessary documents, my account was unlocked.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are absolutely right.
I already had a situation, when the security service PokerStar, blocked my account. But after giving a scan of all the necessary documents, my account was unlocked.
in January of this year my account was frozen, I sent my documentation and I was frozen, I am very careful with that, I do not lend my laptop to anyone, nor do I open my poker user on another computer or phone that has already installed the software. poker

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the security systems of the poker rooms have improved a lot these last months, they are hunting the multi accounts,

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had many moments that I lost the Internet, many times when I played in tournaments and was in the final tables with a lot of chips and I lost the Internet, it made me very angry, and then when I reinstalled the Internet connection I watched that I occupied And 9-8-7-6 places and could take 1 seat or 2, when such moments occur this is very bad for the players!

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My worst time was I was playing 8 tournaments and running fairly hot. connection lost and took 3 hours to come back on. All 8 tournaments lost. Gutted.:mad:

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Do you know this for sure? In the case of the OP, ACR has a mobile site that you can play on with any browser. Also, after re-connection, your IP address will be different. If what you are saying does happen, then it should be an easy enough thing to clear up, albeit a major PITA.

Several years ago when I was able to play on PokerStars, there was a power outage during a tournament I was playing. The particulars of that tournament is not important. At that time I had an account with Clear, which is a company that provides Internet via satellite. You plug your receiver into a USB port and you are connected anywhere inside their coverage area (they have transmitters installed on cell towers). Long story short, I plugged in my dongle and continued with tournament solely on battery power. Of course, I got dangerously close to running my battery down before power was restored.

I used to bounce back and forth between Clear, business internet, and home internet all the time. Never had a problem with it, nor was I ever frozen.

I will say that I only played from one computing device, my laptop. In that regard, there may be some issue when playing from multiple devices or switching it up in the middle of a tournament. Can't say one way or the other.

Last edited:
Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uninterruptible Gaming Instructions

I feel for you. I am pretty sure that everybody here at CC has been there one time or another. I have on occasion, but they are few and far between.

Power outages are more of a killer than a disruption in my internet service. For me anyway. Anytime a storm blows through in my area the power will go down for a slight instant, just long enough to reset the router. It will take a couple of minutes before I am up and running again.

If you are that dedicated (vis obsessed) about maintaining continuity in your game play, you will have to invest a little more money. First, get a battery backup power supply for your computer, or make sure your laptop battery is fully charged (or keep an extra in reserve).

With your power needs squared away, you will need to get connected via an alternate method. I was going to suggest Clear, but Sprint has bought them out and is shutting down that network. All of the Clear equipment will be non-functional in November.

If you have a mobile device (4g, LTE, even 3g will work), you can turn the device into a hotspot. You will be able to connect your computer or laptop through the hotspot. Does not matter what type of data plan you are on, most poker client software does not need massive broadband capability like video streaming. You will not even notice a spike in your data usage.

Good luck.

Last edited:
M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never had this problem personally. Pretty stable internet here, so that may explain it :) Sounds like a very annoying problem if it occurs too often though!

H

honeywabbitt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i use a hot spot on my phone as well when playing a tournament

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My internet is relatively stable (usually no more than 2 outages per year) but i had several situations when power goes down sometimes for up to 2 hours. I play from my laptop so the battery can handle around 2.5 to 3 hours power outage. If internet drops i turn on the hotspot on my mobile phone (i have data plan on it) and connect laptop via wireless to it so that i can continue playing in less than a minute. If power outage continues for longer i just exit the pokerstars client on the laptop and start it on my mobile phone (i also have power bank with me).

Regarding blocking of accounts - at least in pokerstars i did not have any problem till now. I have done both ip address change while playing on the laptop (switching to mobile internet and then back to home one) and the switch from desktop App to mobile one during play without any problem. I don't know if i have been lucky or their system is working ok but i think that such things like changing of ip addresses or switch to different pc are very frequent and it would be a problem if they freeze accounts for this.

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Regarding blocking of accounts - at least in pokerstars i did not have any problem till now. I have done both ip address change while playing on the laptop (switching to mobile internet and then back to home one) and the switch from desktop app to mobile one during play without any problem. I don't know if i have been lucky or their system is working ok but i think that such things like changing of ip addresses or switch to different pc are very frequent and it would be a problem if they freeze accounts for this.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. Since the OP is wondering about ACR, I have asked the rep to come here and weigh in the topic. Should shine some light on the situation, officially, and hopefully he/she knows more about other venues such as PokerStars.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happened to me on a final table never got back in made me think about changing internet provider.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has happened to me too .. I imagine most everyone .... when the net goes down and it does here often when the weather gets crazy .. I 'll just chill ..it's no worse than a bad beat to me and I cant get that excited about it ... that could be because its never happened with too much money on the line .. just the same .. if you can't do anything to change it once it has happened ...Just like the bad beat, I will let it go ... for me it's much more frustrating to lose the three hours I put into it than a few dollars ...

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few Times in Cash Games, in Tournaments just one time in the Cardschat Freeroll.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That hapenned to me few times,if im deep and i lost my internet i tild so hard :D

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Funny how you created this thread today when today I had that problem on FT in the CardsChat league game :) makes me feel less of a loser lol
Aside from that I think I had this problem a couple times for a short period though, usually in these cases I just turn internet on my phone, the same way as neptun1914 does.
Really annoying is when your power goes off, happened to me once. Luckily I was just in one tourney and made buy-in in another and basically it was just the beginning of the session. So the buy-in was returned cause that's how PS does if you're disconnected before tournament starts.
And sometimes you're perfectly connected but there are some problems from room's side (that they won't admit ofc) and you just see how your AQ+ JJ+ are open folded when you're shortstacked in deep run :( That's probably the most tilting thing ever.

A

ACR Rep

AmericasCardroom Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I'm the ACR Rep, thanks Shady Slim for calling me up. For those who play on ACR, regarding the ISP (internet service provider) we normally recommend to have a stable internet connection and a high-speed internet. If the internet connection is unstable, we recommend closing all the other poker applications, normal applications, websites or any other related stuff that use the internet and only use the ACR app, that should help for sure.

Using a VPN or thing related to cover the IP would raise a security alert, we don't recommend to use this because the security system will automatically block your account. Any other questions you have, please let me know!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands