Handling a disconnect when playing online

J

jenia stars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had such cases,I now have a few options on the Internet.

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it happened at pokerstars a few months ago when the system crashed every day and they gave back the registration fee.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it happens from time to time. Especially when you are handed good hands. Or when the bubble starts. Once I was in second place in a tournament during the bubble stage, and I lost the internet connection. When I returned, I became the second from the bottom. Since then, I keep my smartphone next to me, and if the Internet is gone, I just connect to it via Wi-Fi and just keep playing.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Internet went missing yesterday during the game. I was lucky that the opponents took advantage of it badly.

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bubble was about to pop on step 4 venom tourny i got to from free step 1. 3 were below me and 1 more player needed to go and my internet cut off for 5 minutes. It never cuts off and it did during the literal worst possible time. By the time i was able to log in it was over and i was one place from good money. Wanted to scream.... and did

dangerdave123

dangerdave123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a solid connection, but I've seen several people disconnect from tables. I always assume they're either on their phone or a tablet when it happens.

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I live in a poor country where internet quality is very low, it happens to me from time to time. I practice meditation to not get crazy, lol :) I need to learn how to organize my own live playing ...
I just made a new deposit on ACR and am really dedicating to crushing the microstakes sit and gos, and I was running pretty hot for a few tourneys, and in one I made the final 3 as chip leader and lost connection. Got it back after an hour and checked to find the obvious: I finished 3rd. Of course this is only a few dollars difference in the long run, but as a pretty obsessive person I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Variance I can handle, bad beats I can take, but when I'm playing my 100% and some force f*cks me up, idk how to overcome that.

Just another reason added to why I much prefer playing live.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have lost internet a few times while playing online. It hasn't cost me much though
as I usually can only afford small stakes so far. Sometimes I notice other players who lose connection and a fight ensues by the other players over who is going to steal that players blinds. LOL

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is this even a real question.Not one single problem in two years of play money.The minute i deposited the crap started and hasnt stopped for 7 long years.cards changing,chips disappearing,heads up going back to 5 players was the best one yet....so much better now ive just started recording my games but it brings discons from absolutely vital vital hands that you only see and wait for once or twice in a tourney,good bankroll management also increases disconnection at vital vital vital times.Its all rigged or whatever you wanna call it and it sux!it is purely that simple...gl at the tables. :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
is this even a real question.Not one single problem in two years of play money.The minute i deposited the crap started and hasnt stopped for 7 long years.cards changing,chips disappearing,heads up going back to 5 players was the best one yet....so much better now ive just started recording my games but it brings discons from absolutely vital vital hands that you only see and wait for once or twice in a tourney,good bankroll management also increases disconnection at vital vital vital times.Its all rigged or whatever you wanna call it and it sux!it is purely that simple...gl at the tables. :)

Then why is it that I have had ZERO disconnects for the past 2 years?? I sh1t you not... ZERO!
What does this tell you?
(I can't even recall the last time I had a problem with disconnections).

Many years ago I would have some disconnects occasionally... it was due to my Internet provider. I got myself another provider for back up (I was using SHAW & then got TELUS for backup).
Today I have SHAW Internet 300 (300 Mbps download speed, unlimited monthly data).
I ALWAYS play hard-wired to the Internet... do you? Or do you use a wireless connection?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have come to the conclusion that online play is too easily manipulated by the provider. It is not regulated and the provider gets to dictate the program. After some research I believe you are AI profiled. I would like to hear some thoughts on this. Ex.
After 5-10 hands my id seems to be targeted to get small wins then provided a great hand just to be trashed by a river or turn 1 in 3 chance card. once maybe but multiple times no I think I will stay at the tables where u get a non programmed shuffle and deal.

Why?
If you were running a business wouldn't you try to provide the best possible service you could to your customers?

If you stop to think about your question here... why is it that some players are winning players? Some are consistently winning. Some are playing 'for a living'.
Do the sites just pick them for some reason? (pick them but 'pick on' others).

I'm not a big winner at all but I am a consistently profiting player... only pennies really but I have been winning for 12years now. My first two years of playing online I read over 50 books, watched 100's of training vids., etc. etc. I wanted to learn how to become a winning player. It worked.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then why is it that I have had ZERO disconnects for the past 2 years?? I sh1t you not... ZERO!
What does this tell you?
(I can't even recall the last time I had a problem with disconnections).

Many years ago I would have some disconnects occasionally... it was due to my Internet provider. I got myself another provider for back up (I was using SHAW & then got TELUS for backup).
Today I have SHAW Internet 300 (300 Mbps download speed, unlimited monthly data).
I ALWAYS play hard-wired to the Internet... do you? Or do you use a wireless connection?
I fully understand where you are coming from.If you truly want to understand the reasons and answer both your questions,and realise what tide ive been swimming against for twenty years that i know of and involving poker for the last 7 or so,i would suggest "2015" Stephen Greer exposure ...its 4 and a half hours but only had a couple of ingignificant bits i didnt agree with...and now what was an all important exposure of the powers that be seems to have been forgotten by him today and its all about contacting aliens....lol....WTF...fair enough the pressure got to him,too many assassination attempts and such.Then theres a documentart called JFK - 911....they are both solid SOLID and explain the silly questions like why would they want to kill or poison or retard everyone...Trust me i have huge amounts of experience in answering the question why and strongly suggest watching those two vids i mentioned,personally i think your game would absolutely skyrocket without knowing where you are at with your game now.And another point ive never said im a losing player or blamed all the discons/tricks and so on....i just dont like the dishonesty of it,ALL the money will be gone soon,thats why they will grasp in any way possible while there are still people playing.Honestly man i worry about people that either dont get it /see it or are part of it and would say no different.This mountain is like any other but i enjoy it,gl at the tables.:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
think your game would absolutely skyrocket without knowing where you are at with your game now.

But my internet connection NEVER disconnects me and I have ZERO evidence of any 'tricks' of any kind at all.
I'm also absolutely sure my game wouldn't change at all... UNLESS I chose to start putting more time into working on it (STUDY STUDY STUDY!!!).... and I've honestly put sooooooo little effort into it for at least a half-dozen years now... that there is HUGE room for improvement today for me.
Years ago I put in lots of time studying. In my first couple years online I easily read over 50 poker books & would purchase all the best & latest ones available at the time (I'd even order up sh1tty ones once I'd run out of good ones). I joined a few training sites & actively participated in studying the training vids. (not just passively watching them... but really digging in).
In the first few mos. I went from an ROI-10% player to a ROI+10% winning player in STT SNG & did the same for MTT in the first year & then cash game a few years later.
The only thing holding me back from achieving better results has been ME. Nothing else.
At one point I had some internet disconnects... so I purchased a back up provider. Problem disappeared.

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. This is a very common problem at least for some players like me. I Think this depends of location and ISP quality right?

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s the internet. Signals.

Duh. Of course you’ll lose connection once in awhile.

Lol at a few here
“Never happens to me”
“I only lose internet when I’m (pick one) downloading movies/playing 36 tables at once/got four devices going simultaneously”

Mild sarcasm. But how mild?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep While I WAS HOLDING 70% of the chips left in play!!!during the final final final qualifier for the 2008 NBC NATIONAL HEADS UP CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!
I even folded KK preflop and was right...
but sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try fml

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya,ll would have to see it to believe it lol i tell ya rrr but yes i must remember its a forum and not a carefree venting area,gl all :) :heeeellll
what makes me laugh is this back-up provider or phone on standby...the vital hand or the chips on the table are gone gone gone by the time you even start logging in on new device...ever played two or three hands to get all the way to the money or final table,i have many many times,only takes one vital hand robbed and its over rover.

Last edited:
Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ya,ll would have to see it to believe it lol i tell ya rrr but yes i must remember its a forum and not a carefree venting area,gl all :) :heeeellll
what makes me laugh is this back-up provider or phone on standby...the vital hand or the chips on the table are gone gone gone by the time you even start logging in on new device...ever played two or three hands to get all the way to the money or final table,i have many many times,only takes one vital hand robbed and its over rover.

Again tonight the same denial of service attack targeting my IP i don't understand where they've obtained my IP.... I've made a complaint via poker stars and they'll have to monitor my IP connection to their server whilst im in play....

Every thing else internet works fine, no slowing no BS... Just PokerStars Connection.... only while I play the CC Freeroll too...

View attachment 248770

View attachment 248772

View attachment 248774

View attachment 248776

View attachment 248778

Every 5 minutes I'd do the server trace, at one point i had no connection at the table but good connection on line trace... I had to restart PC twice... still not connecting to PokerStars lol while this was happening I was also on twitter and signing into CardsChat to see what that connection was like... every thing else was perfect.... Grrrrrrrrrr its really pushing my buttons now....

I tried logging on the CardsChat website last night also and found the Database was down for over 30minutes... Was there an issue last night between 12am GMT and 1am GMT?

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes have this happen .. it is very angry and frustrating .. but nothing can be done. This is the quality of service in our country. ((

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forgot to turn recorder on,took this on phone as screenshot needs connection.lasted round 12-15 minutes at end of storm sat...hundreds of times poker stars,always perfect timing.dammit can't place photo anyway disconnected after I call .19,000 stack comes back at 9000 on SB with rags bout 12-15 mins later:mad:Now look at the stacks im up against with my 9000 after big blind with 14 left and 7 prizes...all day every day pokerstars all day every day before i started recording all day every day !!!
3eae7df00657a1100a20f467a4a3a52b.png

Last edited:
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forgot to turn recorder on,took this on phone as screenshot needs connection.lasted round 12-15 minutes at end of storm sat...hundreds of times poker stars,always perfect timing.dammit can't place photo anyway disconnected after I call .19,000 stack comes back at 9000 on SB with rags bout 12-15 mins later:mad:Now look at the stacks im up against with my 9000 after big blind with 14 left and 7 prizes...all day every day pokerstars all day every day before i started recording all day every day !!!
3eae7df00657a1100a20f467a4a3a52b.png
yeah that is some bad luck and internet.
the worse part is they don't have any real way to compensate for it either

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just did last night! Apparently there is something with the new update ACR has that not only DC’s you from the site, but your modem drops out. You have to hard reset your modem to get it back up. Very annoying!

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea I had that problem with ACR before I emailed them and somehow it was fixed. the disconnecting and the registering problem I had. Like anything I guess the bugs need to be worked out. It gets really annoying when the disconnecting problem I had before. just glad it is fixed now I can try to win a seat to that venom tournament.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands