Are you afraid of facing a team pro in tournaments?

J

jorgejarapy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
defeats are often the ones that generate the most learning for us, even so I have fear of losing but that does not prevent me from playing and enjoying the game, and in the case of playing with a professional I would try to learn as much as possible from their game and with a little luck to be able to win at least one hand, since for me it would be more than enough

T

TetraTap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope - I love it. I've played with nananoko negreanu and a few others in tournaments and they're good but not unbeatable - at least that was my take. I actually think negreanu is a bit of a fish by today's standards.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's the low stakes I play at, but I don't even know if I come across them!

In any case, the prospect doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's just a human with two cards. Nothing bad is going to happen.

I guess I would start to worry if I'm playing in six figure pots against a top pro :eek:

I

icaroferrarini

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, its nice to learn with the best.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems that they will always beat us!
at the table, everyone is equal - a cook and a lawyer, a worker and an electrician
but for your game to be always at a high level, you need constant training in this environment and even professionals should not bother you as opponents at the table.
..poker is a game of brave literate people who are able to make tough but right decisions

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I am not afraid to face a professional if a lot of respect

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. It's why I used to enjoy playing on full tilt. Had a lot of opportunities to play with pros in tournaments.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ive sat with em a few times, nothing but a logo beside their avatar...doesnt scare me or doesnt make any difference to my gameplay. just another person at a table, nothing more

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I am not afraid of them if one is a passive and knows how to play the cards well, it is easy to beat them since some of the pros are known always have the chance to win and there it is more frequent than when they do not bluff anything worth the bluff and three times I pay out of the three times 2 I came out the winner but that if always taking care not to risk too much

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not be afraid. I just think about it as another opponent.

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive sat with em a few times, nothing but a logo beside their avatar...doesnt scare me or doesnt make any difference to my gameplay. just another person at a table, nothing more

Props to you. I've definitely watched a few streamers who play a bit difference against pros. Whether it's (1) giving them more credit than their bets deserve or (2) trying to bluff them out because it would be an epic story.

If you're good enough to be playing against pros, you should probably just stick to your game style! Use what got you to the high stakes :rolleyes:

F

FluDhs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not at all. In a tournament everything could happen

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry... I didn't see this answered anywhere... but what is a "team pro?"

Does poker have teams now? what am I missing? is this just an oddly worded question? Is there something new I need to look out for, in addition to non-team pros?

As for non-team pros. I am not worried or pressured. I play my game. Actually, I appreciate more being with a pro because they understand pot odds, where a large percentage of the people I play with have no clue what pot odds are.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's not good news if I see a pro on a game , rarely I will se because of my buyin games , 2 times I saw one on tourneys and I lost to him , lol . But if he streams live , it's not so bad , I can watch his game (even with the delay ) , also he won't be able to make few of his tricks , especially fold some hands which for the poker players are a shove live , online you need to improvise a little , lol if he doesn't shove he'll have a tone of followers laughing at him , lol :)

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what ... your strategy is your strategy. You play it no matter who you are playing and if you find it’s not working, then I guess you do some research and you change it.

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No. It's why I used to enjoy playing on full tilt. Had a lot of opportunities to play with pros in tournaments.

LCID said:
lcid86Back when Full Tilt was big, they had a lot of pros playing in their tournaments. It was always kind of fun to play against them and rail them in other games. It was a great learning experience and most of them were very active in chat.
I remember the good ol' days. I think PokerStars pros had a bounty as well. It was equal to whatever the buy-in for the tournament was. Full tilt also sent you a t-shirt. I almost put one on today but it was kinda tight.haha. I probably got nine or so laying around or used for rags. I remember my first one, I can't remember who it was, though. I was on another forum around that time, RailBirds. They had clans on there that you could join if you wanted to n they accepted you into their clan. There were 10 or twelve of them I'd say. Each clan would run a game or so each day of the week on FTP. I was a member of The PotKings, we ran a game each night, n I think twice/week we had two. They were small buy-ins that were open to us and other members of other clans. We'd put bounties on each other or other clan leaders for either straight cash or a stake. They were fun games w/ decent players. We also had the privilege of being in contact w/a few FTP pros that would grace us w/their presence in games from time to time. I wanna say one was Gabby what's-her-neck and another guy I wasn't too say Scott maybe. To the point, though. It was one of our PotKing games when thr pro mentioned above, I feel bad I can't remember his name, had joined us that evening. For whatever reason he had to leave and was blinding out. Well when it got to be that time, EVERYONE wanted his bounty. I think it was a $5.50 game. I'm in the BB w/89dd and I think Mr. Pro was CO or BTN. So it around to me and I check. That's when the BB SPECIAL hit. Flip comes 998. Being it was a clan game I figured I'd be nice and before jamming I kindly told everyone I have the nuts, they may as well fold.lol. I was later told that could still get me into trouble announcing my hand like that even though it was a private game. That's my airy of my first KO of an FTP Pro. I'll have to see if that site is still running and if I can find the thread I had on there about it. I'll also see if I can't find the three or four different designs of shirts they sent out. Thanks fir the memories, guys. Have fun n GL,Herbpuffer

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
at the table, everyone is the same - a cook and a lawyer, a worker and an electrician,
but for your game to always be at a high level, you need constant training in this environment and even professionals should not bother them as opponents at the table.
..poker is a game of courageous and learned people who are capable of making difficult but certain decisions

Man I found this definition of Poker so perfect that I had to comment:
"Poker is a game of courageous and learned people, capable of making difficult but certain decisions"

I will save those words for the rest of my life!

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And like you've all said, EVERYONE wants to beat a pro or bluff a pro. They almost have to tighten down their ranges if anything since they already have a target on em. And I'm sure it's that way both online and in a B&M joint.

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry... I didn't see this answered anywhere... but what is a "team pro?"

Does poker have teams now? what am I missing? is this just an oddly worded question? Is there something new I need to look out for, in addition to non-team pros?

As for non-team pros. I am not worried or pressured. I play my game. Actually, I appreciate more being with a pro because they understand pot odds, where a large percentage of the people I play with have no clue what pot odds are.

Yeah, pretty much any pro out there these days is wearing at least a cpl sponsor's patches. Majority of them aren't playing all those games on only their dime.

I don't know much about the new wave of streaming pro(that is their livelihood, correct?) but even them, their subscribers are paying for part of their buy-ins. And more than likely a good bit of them even have their own stables.

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! At the limits where I play now, there are probably no professionals. The higher the limits, the more regulars are professionals, you need to be prepared for this and increase your level to meet it. As long as I'm afraid of good players, I don't play where there are a lot of them.

E

emisalvo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play at the lower levels. Therefore, I do not think that a professional appears at these levels! And if I have to play, no problem, he will beat me and that's it ...

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Added picture

Here's one of the shirts.

Attachments

• 20200830_223058.jpg
    20200830_223058.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not be afraid, as it would be an honour. It will be a while before that may happen to me since I only play free rolls and micros :). It would be so cool though!!

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to see them at my table, but I play such limits that I have only seen them a couple of times and they were sit-outs. Probably just working out the contract as if by participating in the tournament.:thumpdown