WSOP Colossus event. What would you do in this situation?

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Deal :)
I will always be more interested in money than any other attributes. For me, the amount of prize money won is the best indicator of a player's skill.

sibkaz

sibkaz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
What makes a person do an act...? Motivation! For one person the glass is half empty, for another it is full...but half ) And if an optimist, also motivated...he can roll mountains with faith in himself! Simple, the strongest example - Paralympians ! Where do they get so much spirit from? That's who we should look up to !
And about the tournament ... I'm sure that when you go through so many overcome, you will go to the end ... not to say later that you gave up the opportunity ...

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't do Jewellery, I don't even wear a Wedding ring, so a 50/50 split would be fine by me, Trophies and Bracelets are only a show thing to keep on display to try and impress people, but I am more impressed by a person's personality, not the things they keep around to show how good they think they are.
I have won a few trophies over the years and The Wife thinks they are just dust collectors, which I agree with, and they are kept in boxes in the cellar, and if my house caught fire, They certainly wouldn't be on my list of things I needed to save.
My Wife and pets would be high on the list, Everything else can be replaced.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't do Jewellery, I don't even wear a Wedding ring, so a 50/50 split would be fine by me, Trophies and Bracelets are only a show thing to keep on display to try and impress people, but I am more impressed by a person's personality, not the things they keep around to show how good they think they are.
I have won a few trophies over the years and The Wife thinks they are just dust collectors, which I agree with, and they are kept in boxes in the cellar, and if my house caught fire, They certainly wouldn't be on my list of things I needed to save.
My Wife and pets would be high on the list, Everything else can be replaced.
That is very true. Trophies themselves are just things, it is the accomplishment the trophy represents that is important.

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I know the odds are very much against me and it's very difficult to win, but I want to take the deal and play for my chance at a wsop bracelet, I've been playing the tournament access freerolls every day all the way to get there, so I'll keep going until my last hand, nothing impossible Never give up, winners never give up and quitters never win, with all my respect for other opinions.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, a deal is the most reasonable and correct option in such a situation, but this is for me personally. Everyone has their own goals, but I would definitely choose a deal :)

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The bracelet is the trophy but there will be another one so for me the 50/50 deal is the way to go! you can use the extra 100k for your buy in next year besides i was always told a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.;)

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would gladly accept my opponent’s offer to make a deal and immediately end the tournament by splitting the winnings 50/50 and would gladly refuse the WSOP bracelet, it would be the second birthday of the Belarusian pensioner.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'll make a deal even if the chances are equal. For many people, it's the ultimate need to leave a legacy! But I'm a fox. And a fox will always find a sneakier way to stand out from the crowd. Second place will get me $300,410, and when I close the deal, I get $400,000. So a few days later, I would make a $100,000 donation to the children's houses, which would be told on TV. Doing good things for people in need! That would be my legacy! ;)

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I mean, I understand the point made by a few members that won't take the deal and 'gamble' for the glory, but IMO 5BB vs. 60BBs live is much different than online- it's really tough to comeback from so far behind... so, I'd gladly take the 50/50 deal and give up on the small chance to win the bracelet- there are many more important things in life than a piece of jewelry and you can do a lot of good by donating the 'extra money' or even a part of it to different charities(also, IMO 2nd place in such a big event is already enough for "bragging rights").

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would be incredibly grateful to my opponent if he offered me a deal in such a situation and on the terms you described.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would love that extra money, but I would really have to think about it. Making it heads up in a WSOP event is a chance of a life time, I know unless it's the ME that it is barely a blip in the history of the WSOP but the thought of giving up the chance at a win is a hard one to get pass.

With $100,000.00 think about how many more WSOP tournaments you could enter, in hopes of one day getting deep (maybe HU) in another.
The Colossus is what... $500?
With that $100k you could enter 100 tournaments ranging from $500 to $2,500. And even if you don't get to HeadsUp again, it'd be way more fun imo, AND good chance at coming out of it with more than $100k (hmm... what about the cost of Hotels & Food, etc.... well whatever, let's say 60 tournaments. No make it 100 tournaments because you managed to pick up a sponsor after taking that deal. (don't ask me why)
100 more chances at freerolling for a bracelet and whatever money you win along the way with it. <<< This sounds WAY better than 1 bracelet.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would take the deal. After 38 years of work, I have little to give to my son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. It aches my heart that I just cannot afford to help them buy their first house. I did not own a house until I was 46, but I did not have two kids at age 29. The bracelet would end up being another dust collector that I would leave to my son anyway.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What a dream proposal, I would accept instantly :love:, with the additional 100K, I would buy a nice bracelet for me and my girl, and reserve the buy-in $400 for the COLOSSUS tourney for the season!! :LOL:

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The deal is certainly a great option. I would immediately agree to such a deal. First place in this case would not be a priority for me. I am more than sure that probably more than 95% of players would accept such a favorable offer.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would go for the deal. The conditions are definitely more than favorable..... I definitely wouldn't need to be persuaded :)

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well, I would go against the population and probably not take the deal.

This WSOP bracelet in the middle is brutally attractive and the dream of every MTT poker grinder in the world. Whatever I want to do in my life, I can do them whether I have 400k or 300k dollars in my bank. But I don't know if I will ever again go heads-up to a WSOP final table, so I would take my chances to win the event even with 5bb stack only.

5bb vs 60bb of course is quite brutal situation to be and the chances to make the miracle and reverse the situation are brutally low, but a double up and 1-2 nice pots and we will probably be 25bb vs 40bb.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I accept the deal
Poker is based on statistics and in that situation they are against
If you can get an advantage and a benefit (make more money) I'll take it.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course a deal. This would obviously be very favorable terms, and I would agree to such a deal.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imagine you're playing in the WSOP Colossus event. After a few days of grueling live tournament poker action, you find yourself heads-up, sitting in 2nd place in chips! First place is a whopping $501,120 and second place takes home $300,410.

The problem is you are out chipped with your stack of 50,000,000 (5BB) up against their 600,000,000 stack (60BB). However, to your surprise, your opponent offers to make a deal and end the tournament right there, proposing a 50/50 split in winnings, giving you just over $400,000.00, but they get the bracelet. You know the odds are very against you to take first place, but do you give up your chance to win a WSOP bracelet or do you take the deal? Why?

View attachment 345920
As someone else said before, I would ask if this offer is serious.
If so I would take the money, being listed as 2nd in an WSOP tournament with a lifetime winning of $400000 I would not fight for that bracelet.
Entry in Hendon Mob poker database as 2nd is also a nice thing.

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would absolutely take the deal <3 Who am I to turn that down? <3 Yes, that is an amazing opportunity for anyone to go for the bracelet but for someone at my level...to be there and turn that down, that would be ridiculous :p <3

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Considering the circumstances, the deal looks like a very profitable option. I would accept the deal.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As someone else said before, I would ask if this offer is serious.
If so I would take the money, being listed as 2nd in an WSOP tournament with a lifetime winning of $400000 I would not fight for that bracelet.
Entry in Hendon Mob poker database as 2nd is also a nice thing.
I would also ask if they were series and admit wold be pretty shocked by them asking me to chop it. I also would not blame you for taking the money. It would be hard not to. I would also be one of the rare few to say no to the offer.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also ask if they were series and admit wold be pretty shocked by them asking me to chop it. I also would not blame you for taking the money. It would be hard not to. I would also be one of the rare few to say no to the offer.
Fight for glory is truly great!

But with $100k more that will be perhaps $75K to $50k after taxes are paid, you can put 1/2 to the side the other half is for new glory fights.
You may be right with one view, how often will it be possible to get to a place two FT heads up at the WSOP.
But with about 5 bb and the chance to earn only $300k it's a pure gamble, imo.
Let's assume you and the villain are at least semi pro's,
are these type of poker players more on the gambling side or on the calculating risk : reward side?
The risk : reward ratio here is clearly on the side to take the money.

Last edited:
gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If the names Daniel Negreanu or Phill Helmuth were written in my identity card, I would probably go to win the bracelet, the difference in money between first and second place no longer representing such a big stake for these two sacred monsters of poker... this in the spirit of the joke... :unsure:😅 getting serious again, I think that reason, balance, mathematics would all tell me to make this agreement without blinking. On the other hand, the pride, the competitive spirit and the desire to be on the 1st place could tip the scales towards playing further. It is difficult to make a decision even in this hypothetical scenario, but to be asked to do so in reality. I wish someday to be put in such a situation, and each of US poker lovers dreams of it happening one day.:love:

WSOP