WSOP Colossus event. What would you do in this situation?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Imagine you're playing in the wsop Colossus event. After a few days of grueling live tournament poker action, you find yourself heads-up, sitting in 2nd place in chips! First place is a whopping $501,120 and second place takes home $300,410.

The problem is you are out chipped with your stack of 50,000,000 (5BB) up against their 600,000,000 stack (60BB). However, to your surprise, your opponent offers to make a deal and end the tournament right there, proposing a 50/50 split in winnings, giving you just over $400,000.00, but they get the bracelet. You know the odds are very against you to take first place, but do you give up your chance to win a WSOP bracelet or do you take the deal? Why?

Wsop braclet

Last edited:
millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's not hard to guess what I would do. I am a pensioner and my pension is $280....Of course, I would ask my opponent again: Are you confident in your action?
I would happily agree to his offer and give part of this winnings to charity. And I would never remember the bracelet and would not regret my action.
And for me it would be the most successful deal in my life

Last edited:
yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I know the odds are very against me and its very difficult to win but i want take the deal and play my chance to win a WSOP bracelet, I played all the way to get there so i will continue until my last hand , Nothing impossible Never give up ,Winners never quit, and quitters never win with all my respect to other opinions.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would take the deal in a heart beat. An extra 100,000 could go a long way.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Imagine you're playing in the WSOP Colossus event. After a few days of grueling live tournament poker action, you find yourself heads-up, sitting in 2nd place in chips! First place is a whopping $501,120 and second place takes home $300,410.

The problem is you are out chipped with your stack of 50,000,000 (5BB) up against their 600,000,000 stack (60BB). However, to your surprise, your opponent offers to make a deal and end the tournament right there, proposing a 50/50 split in winnings, giving you just over $400,000.00, but they get the bracelet. You know the odds are very against you to take first place, but do you give up your chance to win a WSOP bracelet or do you take the deal? Why?

View attachment 345920
I would take the deal. It would be a cool tale to tell but the odds are never in my favour with 5bb.
So I happily accept the deal shake the winners hand and would be proud to have made 2nd place

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone! Yes! A riddle!!! 🤗 Given the circumstances, yes, I would agree to the deal. The chances are slim. But if there were other options - to go all the way, the second-place prize is not bad, and the bracelet is recognition, image, and a memory. But if we go back to the initial conditions - I stepped on my ambitions, shook hands with the winner, and agreed to the deal.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I take the deal!! That close to a bracelet lol wow it would be a great story but there are more opportunities for another bracelet! I wonder what person at 60 BB against your 5 BB even offers that deal? I definitely want to play against him/her. Fun to think about. 6 more months for the WSOP in Vegas!

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would happily take that deal without any regrets at all.We are talking about more than $100,000 extra.That money would be very helpful.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is a question near and dear to my heart obviously. 100K extra and what it would do for my life. I could retire like a normal person at 67 if I took the deal. I can pay both my kids college educations and actually be able to fund my dream to win a WSOP circuit ring. There as so many reasons to take this deal it makes no sense to not take it.

If you have read my other post, you can see my honesty in my responses. Would I really do what is correct. play etc. Would I fold aces to 2 all ins in the WSOP dream main event. I still think I would. So, this will also be the most honest answer I can give. It is also the one I know I would give no matter what,

I would not take the deal. Yes, the money is important and would be helpful to change my life. Yes, the odds of my winning the bracelet is very slim and as a mathematical person the math says take the money and run. I could not and would not ever take this deal and there is no way I would take it.

I miss my Olympic dream once I got hurt and regret not doing all I could to try. Was I really that good? No, I was not but I should have not given up. I had qualified to be a professional bowler. I made it and earned it. All I had to do was get my card and my childhood dream was mine. I had nearly won a amateur tour title that year. I lost on the craziest unlucky way in the last frame. My childhood dream of just winning a ring was there and snatched from me at the last second. Even though I could I wanted 1 more year to become more experienced. I knew I was not ready even though I could join the tour. I would get hurt at work several months later and could not play for over 2 years and lost any chance of living my dream. In 2015 I just missed wining a deepstack tournament title.

All i want is to just once win the title and be the guy getting his picture talked with his trophy, ring or bracelet. Just once I want to be the champion. Kust once I want to live that dream. Just one time dealer.

I can honestly say I would not take the deal. The odd may not be in my favor here, but would I even get the chance to play for a bracelet again? Would I ever have aa chance to win that one title I always wanted since I was a child? I live with too many regrets and could not give up my chance for the title even with the sick bad chances to take my shot.

Now here is the interesting question. If i was the chip leader and 2nd place stack offered this deal, would I take it? Or if I was in the 1st place situation, would I offer the deal? I think I would take the deal it if 2nd place offered it to me. Would I offer the deal i don't know if I would offer that deal, but I may be willing to make a deal to end it and get my bracelet.

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I would take the deal of course. It's a no-brainer for any sane person.

One bracelet proves absolutely nothing. Or do you think Jamie Gold or Jerry Yang are good poker players?

And if you take the win in some miraculous way after you are down to 5BB against 60BB, it's not because of skill since you have to get all-in a lot - it would be because of luck.

Why risk 100.000 dollars just hoping to be lucky?

Are you gonna watch your bracelet after your win and think: damn I'm good when you really should think: Wow how can one person have that much luck?

Last edited:
Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would make a deal. but given my stack, it’s easier for my opponent to knock me out than to offer such a deal to his detriment

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say something like "Thank you for your generous offer, but I'm going to pass on it." I started playing tournaments to compete, and that means I am playing to win. While the offer would mean I'd get a bigger trophy, it would still have "2nd Place" engraved on it and I want the one that says "1st Place".

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imagine you're playing in the WSOP Colossus event. After a few days of grueling live tournament poker action, you find yourself heads-up, sitting in 2nd place in chips! First place is a whopping $501,120 and second place takes home $300,410.

View attachment 345920
For a regular player it's very difficult to make a decision quickly
on the one hand $100,000 more easily to win
on the other side a braclet which has great value for a poker player

I think the decision needs to be a little more thought out, let's ask ourselves the following question
Despite my small stack, do I have a chance to win against this player?

knowing your opponent can really influence our decision
It's my point of view

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would make a deal. but given my stack, it’s easier for my opponent to knock me out than to offer such a deal to his detriment
It could mean that the person is tired of playing and wants to get out of there. If that is the case, subconsciously he might play to achieve that goal. In that case with a couple of good breaks you are in the game, and once in it you can win it.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Take the deal!! All day long!! I would take the deal for a lot less too probably!

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I said I would call the Aces at the start of the tourney and I would but there is no way in the world I'm playing all the way to hu and just giving up?, nope... it's really between 300K and a 50/50 shot at WSOP bracelet and 400K and no WSOP bracelet.... call me stubborn as a mule but I like playing short stack and I love playing hu so yeah I'm going for the bracelet, also I think I can make up the 100K difference as a WSOP bracelet winner easily, even if I don't 300K is still a nice chunk of change.... honestly I hate making deals anyway, I came to play, let's play!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would take the deal of course. It's a no-brainer for any sane person.

One bracelet proves absolutely nothing. Or do you think Jamie Gold or Jerry Yang are good poker players?

And if you take the win in some miraculous way after you are down to 5BB against 60BB, it's not because of skill since you have to get all-in a lot - it would be because of luck.

Why risk 100.000 dollars just hoping to be lucky?

Are you gonna watch your bracelet after your win and think: damn I'm good when you really should think: Wow how can one person have that much luck?

You correct on most accounts. One bracelet means nothing to how good I am or would be. Yes I would need some luck to win but if i did win a hand or 2 skill would become part of the game. 100K would change much for me.

The problem is winning that bracelet is worth more to me. I live with regrets and would hate to never say I played heads up for the ultimate chance to win a bracelet. I do believe its the most logical choose to take the money but for me that money would not change my decision. I play for the glory and if i lose so be it.

I don't blame you on taking the deal.

I would say something like "Thank you for your generous offer, but I'm going to pass on it." I started playing tournaments to compete, and that means I am playing to win. While the offer would mean I'd get a bigger trophy, it would still have "2nd Place" engraved on it and I want the one that says "1st Place".
Emily, you and me both. I really wondered if anyone would do the same as me.

For a regular player it's very difficult to make a decision quickly
on the one hand $100,000 more easily to win
on the other side a braclet which has great value for a poker player

I think the decision needs to be a little more thought out, let's ask ourselves the following question
Despite my small stack, do I have a chance to win against this player?

knowing your opponent can really influence our decision
It's my point of view

Great response and I do agree. It needs to be thought out.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Emily, you and me both. I really wondered if anyone would do the same as me.
You, me, and @MK_ . That would make a pretty good title for a movie. :)

Aside from myself and the school bus driver I learned it from, I've never heard anyone other than you say "you and me both". I always thought it was some sort of New England saying, but maybe not. :)

In regards to my answer I have a lot, both good and bad, in common with Lucas Jackson. The good was his perseverance in accomplishing something that is important to him. I wouldn't take a physical beating for it, but I would take a mental one and have done so many times at the tables. While I've still got chips, I can still fight. :)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would take the even split and let him have the bracelet. $100k is a lot of money to me and I am sure the bracelet would mean much more to him than it would mean to me.
You definitely made the smart move. :) You are also correct about the bracelet meaning more to him than it would to you. It is after all just a gawdy piece of jewelry and in itself it means nothing. What it represents however does have value. It represents an accomplishment, which is that you won it. In his case however he accomplished nothing and just bought himself a piece of jewelry. You however did accomplish something and gained an extra $100k. :)

"No A.R. you're wrong. I was champ, and can't nothin take that away." - Abe Atell, Eight Men Out

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
take the settlement every time .likely the best EV decision of your life .

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I wouldn't take the deal. Double up twice and 1 or 2 small takedowns and you're effectively even in chips.
I'd take the fighting chance at the title any day over a chop.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

View attachment 345920
I wouldn't hesitate to agree to the deal.

WSOP