WSOP Colossus event. What would you do in this situation?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I accept the deal, I don't care about the bracelet, I care about the money, with that money I could dedicate myself to playing poker professionally.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With a prize pool of $501,120 for the first and $300,410 for the second, these are two big prizes so because of my competitive spirit, I would continue and fight for victory even with a low stack, because of the fact that $300,410 is already a great prize, and from the importance of event itself, I would reserve some of that amount to accredit myself to other relevant tournaments, and continue at a high level, that would be my decision.

Last edited:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There is a very big difference in the number of chips. Unfortunately I would have to agree to the deal!!!

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would accept the proposal. The bracelet is just a matter of ego. And my ego would already be satisfied with having reached second place in a tournament of this magnitude. What's more, the following year I would be there again.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In that game the way it is I would take the money. For me that is life changing money and is the way to go.
Nuff said!

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
"I really don't know. I play for the money; that's true. But in that specific case, a bracelet means many things and not just money. I mean, 300 is very good money. With the deal, you'd get another 100, but you may not have another chance to get a bracelet, maybe ever in your life. That's really difficult. Trying to win another 100 is not. So, in my particular case, I'd go for the bracelet and win the 2nd place with the dignity of fighting for that bracelet. I still have that chance indeed, no matter if I'm the underdog."

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
I would happily take the deal, $100 000 is a lot of money that i can even use to play that tournament again and have a chance to get that bracelet

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I would definitely accept the deal. Although it would be nice to get first place and the bracelet. The odds are very against. and the extra money is very tempting

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The split offer might seem kind of suspicious. Why a player with such an advantage would want to chop unless he's under some kind of pressure. He could've received an emergency call requiring his presence somewhere or just feeling tired. But let's face it, considering his huge stack, even if he plays recklessly and just shoves every hand, he can win with any 2 cards, thus taking his well-deserved bracelet and the full 1st place payout.

A bracelet is every player's "Dream", but that particular one, realistically. seems a little out of reach. Besides, it's not really a bracelet that determines how good a player is. There are so many great professionals who never had the chance to win one.
Moreover, that extra $100k would be helpful in so many ways, one of which is to play a few other events and eventually win a bracelet.

I would take the offer, thank my opponent and congratulate him.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
There is no way I would accept the deal, no matter how low it is in chips. There is a saying that says one chip, one seat, and as long as there is a game, there are possibilities. I would not give up the bracelet in a deal. If I am going to lose it, it would be by playing it.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course i would make the deal... however i dont think that will happen in real life because it would be a horrible deal for the player who propose it.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be happy to make that deal ! Sounds like a great bargain and a $100k step up . Who cares about the hardware ?

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is the easiest call in life, a 50/50 deal in profits when we are far behind is very easy, we take a good amount of money and many more opportunities to fight again for a bracelet that in the end is symbolic nothing more, so yes I accepted the deal

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would take the deal and then go and purchase a bracelet
They do become available for sale more often that you may know. I actually had a chance to buy a wsop circuit ring but did not. It would look nice in my gaming collection and it would look cool to wear but I think I want to win one. Maybe I would but the 2nd to wear out of the house since it would mean less to me.
I would take the even split and let him have the bracelet. $100k is a lot of money to me and I am sure the bracelet would mean much more to him than it would mean to me.
It would be such a great honor to play in this event with you and be at the final 2 heads up. God forbid we are ever in this situation Debi and you made me the offer and it was me as the big chip leader. I would trust you and probably accept it.

You definitely made the smart move. :) You are also correct about the bracelet meaning more to him than it would to you. It is after all just a gawdy piece of jewelry and in itself it means nothing. What it represents however does have value. It represents an accomplishment, which is that you won it. In his case however he accomplished nothing and just bought himself a piece of jewelry. You however did accomplish something and gained an extra $100k. :)

"No A.R. you're wrong. I was champ, and can't nothin take that away." - Abe Atell, Eight Men Out

There have been deals made in the WSOP for the bracelet heads up. I would still think of it as a accomplishment. He may not have won it outright but getting to that point it would be earned.

I would accept it right away, and even give the villain a kiss.😚😁🤣

I wouldn't have much of a chance, having 5bb and the villain with 60bb, the bracelet would be for the next opportunity, as the saying goes "But a bird in the hand is worth ten birds in the bush"😁
Just don't make it to passionate of kiss if its us someday. My wife gets jealous easily.

I would take the deal. With the extra $$$ you could try for a bracelet another time, several times over.

I was heads up in a tournament at Foxwoods a few years ago. I was out chipped by at least 4 to 1. The guy who had me covered was a true luckbox and playing like a maniac. I felt I could outplay him to take first place. He was getting tired and offered to make a deal. I took it for the guaranteed money rather than what I thought I could make.
I don't blame you George. In almost any tournament I would take the deal and run as well. For the Bracket or Circuit ring, its a smart move to make but when I look at how many realistic chances I will ever get to play in such a event over the rest of my life time can be counted on my 2 hands I would play on.

I might be one of the few who would decline. I never got into poker for the money. I got into poker, because I enjoy the competitiveness of the game. This is also one of the reasons why I prefer tournament poker over cash games. The money's nice and it may come and go, but your name would be etched as a champion, and nothing can take that away from you.
My twin here for sure. OMG you sound just like me on this response.

I would accept the proposal. The bracelet is just a matter of ego. And my ego would already be satisfied with having reached second place in a tournament of this magnitude. What's more, the following year I would be there again.

I get what you mean but its not always about ego for all. If you knew my story you would understand. It could be looked at as ego wanting to win the bracelet and the glory with it but in my past i have always gone the safe route knowing I would get another chance. My other chances never came. Sometimes living with the regret of playing safe and not getting another chance can haunt you later on.

The split offer might seem kind of suspicious. Why a player with such an advantage would want to chop unless he's under some kind of pressure. He could've received an emergency call requiring his presence somewhere or just feeling tired. But let's face it, considering his huge stack, even if he plays recklessly and just shoves every hand, he can win with any 2 cards, thus taking his well-deserved bracelet and the full 1st place payout.

A bracelet is every player's "Dream", but that particular one, realistically. seems a little out of reach. Besides, it's not really a bracelet that determines how good a player is. There are so many great professionals who never had the chance to win one.
Moreover, that extra $100k would be helpful in so many ways, one of which is to play a few other events and eventually win a bracelet.

I would take the offer, thank my opponent and congratulate him.

OK i get what you mean by suspicious and he maybe under pressure. Yet if I was the chip leader I could see myself pondering making the offer. Now why?

30 years ago I was at the peak of my amateur bowling sport status. I was able to go PRO but wanted that elusive Amateur title and ring. I win and I go PRO. I make a perfect shot but one pin did not fall. The other player needed a miracle to win though. He dropped the ball and we watched the miracle of him still getting the strike just as the machine was about to pick up the pin giving me the title when it fell. 3 shots later I was still in shock as he was presented with the ring. I would get hurt soon after and never got another chance at the ring or going PRO. Had I won I would have accomplished both. Now this situation is like that one I was in. 4 hands is all it would take. 1st hand the chip leader gets in it with a ace but loses to a better hand. OH you still least 55 to 10. Soon another confrontation and its now 45-20. Lets forget about the possibility you just go card dead and the next confrontation we lost again. Its now our 25 to 45. You see just losing 4 hands in a row is all it can take to lose the title.

While I would not say I would offer a deal like this if I was the chip leader, I could understand why he may want to make the offer.

You, me, and @MK_ . That would make a pretty good title for a movie. :)

Aside from myself and the school bus driver I learned it from, I've never heard anyone other than you say "you and me both". I always thought it was some sort of New England saying, but maybe not. :)

In regards to my answer I have a lot, both good and bad, in common with Lucas Jackson. The good was his perseverance in accomplishing something that is important to him. I wouldn't take a physical beating for it, but I would take a mental one and have done so many times at the tables. While I've still got chips, I can still fight. :)

I an from the north east and spent a lot of time in New England. I actually haven't heard it much in recent years but used to hear that saying a lot.
It is after all just a gawdy piece of jewelry and in itself it means nothing. What it represents however does have value. It represents an accomplishment, which is that you won it. In his case however he accomplished nothing and just bought himself a piece of jewelry.

"No A.R. you're wrong. I was champ, and can't nothin take that away." - Abe Atell, Eight Men Out
Emily, While I would not make the offer like this I do wonder what I would do if the player make the offer to me as a chip leader. While I may not take a 50/50 split, it would put me into that spot of should I or not take it. Its still an accomplishment even if I make the deal. You do know my story and deep down as I thought on this post of your the last few days I keep thinking I would actually take a reasonable deal. That is if I am being honest with myself.

Now I would like to ask you a question on this one. I respect you and your opinion and believe you feel the same of me. Please be honest. While I doubt this would ever happen I do wonder what I would de it given the opportunity. Would you still respect me for agreeing to the deal and getting the bracelet?

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Ofcourse I would take the deal , take the money . If you take into consideration the stakes I play such a profit would be still awesome . Having such small stack HU , I think the deal is one way option . Now if sb had a very big bankroll and had a dream of a wsop bracelet, not caring souch for the money , then I guess he might decide to keep on playing . But still it seems crazy to me , the odds to double up , then double up again , improbable , but not impossible, I don't know .

Take the deal , best decision , at least that I would do :)

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
¡Its a deal! The only way i turn down that deal is if im indiferent of money (100k$ in this situation) becouse a have a loooot and i really want the bracelet for my self ego. But that is not the case at aaalll.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I an from the north east and spent a lot of time in New England. I actually haven't heard it much in recent years but used to hear that saying a lot.
It is a great expression and I use it now and then myself. :)
Emily, While I would not make the offer like this I do wonder what I would do if the player make the offer to me as a chip leader. While I may not take a 50/50 split, it would put me into that spot of should I or not take it. Its still an accomplishment even if I make the deal. You do know my story and deep down as I thought on this post of your the last few days I keep thinking I would actually take a reasonable deal. That is if I am being honest with myself.

Now I would like to ask you a question on this one. I respect you and your opinion and believe you feel the same of me. Please be honest. While I doubt this would ever happen I do wonder what I would de it given the opportunity. Would you still respect me for agreeing to the deal and getting the bracelet?
Ending up in the final two of an event like that is definitely an accomplishment, deal or not. :) What the two players would be doing is creating something almost like a dead heat. However, in poker a tie is impossible so it would not be an actual dead heat even though the prize money would be evenly split. They would also have decided who would get the bracelet.

I actually think, as I stated in another thread, that this would be the smart move for both of them. I would not think any the less of either of them should they do that. What I've stated here and before is just my opinion. I don't expect others to think the way that I do, and I would still respect them if they don't. We all live by our own codes of ethics and those are unique to each of us. :)

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
No brainer. Very slim chance to win anyways with these stack sizes. So you're getting an extra 100k for basically nothing. You can have the bracelet cause you were going to win it anyways. lol

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I didn’t think about this situation at all, the answer is immediately clear to me. Of course, I would immediately agree to the deal. Neither bracelets nor medals are important to me. real money is another matter. On the other hand, if I had a big chip advantage, I probably wouldn't offer the deal, but rather try to win.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
If it were me, I'd say yes because I don't need a badge or a reputation when it can't help me make money from it

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Of course, this is an excellent proposal and I am happy to agree to the deal because it is very beneficial. Mathematics, of course, speaks for this. In a fairly quick way, we can calculate the value of our chips by chip chop method on the spot.

The value of the possible remaining winnings is $200,710 ($501.120-$300.410).
Total chips is 650,000,000. My chips is 50,000,000. My share of chips to the total is 50,000,000/650,000,000 = 7.7%.
My surplus chip value$ above my guaranteed win is $200.710x 7.7% =$15.439.
My value$ of all chips is $300.410+$15.439=$315.849 and any amount above that is worth considering.
In this case, the $400,000$ offer significantly exceeds value$ of my remaining chips in the game which is why it is so advantageous.

I

IrishinSpain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I have never played in the US so I don't know what 100k looks like there. Here in ireland 100k is 100k but from what I understand in the US 100k is 100k minus taxes. How much of the extra 100k do I pay in taxes if it's nothing then it's a tempting offer but if I have to pay taxes on that 100k then how much am I actually going to get to give up my chances of winning a bracelet.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's always good to have a sense of humor, especially when it comes to high-stakes situations like poker tournaments. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your own priorities and goals. Winning a WSOP bracelet is a great accomplishment, but so is securing a substantial financial payout. It's up to you to weigh the pros and cons and decide what's best for you. Good luck!

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not taking this deal is like a snowball looking into an almost certain trip into a furnace, being offered a nice cool freezer, but choosing the furnace anyway just for the chance of being known as the snowball that made it through hell just to get a bracelet and a slightly nicer freezer.

WSOP