Would You Fold AK Pre-Flop?

• Total voters
wsopgirl217

wsopgirl217

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I gotta say, I have done this a rare couple of times in poker tournaments, only because I'm so close to being paid in the tournament that I don't want to risk losing to a subpar hand. Anyone else done this? Or if you haven't, what was the toughest fold you made in a game pre-flop?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would depend on circumstances, position, chip stack and table dynamics. Going play the hand strong in later position, especially around the bubble where people may be incline to fold. Deep stack might change a big raise in front of me.

Should be an easy hand to fold if it makes sense to do so. Not riding the hand to the rail, in later stages of tournaments.

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's rare, but there are some spots in which folding AK is 100% mandatory.

For instance in a satellite 1 from the money, you're folding just about every hand pre-flop (in some cases even aces) because the payout is the same.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was hard to learn, but meanwhile I can fold AK. I just lost with it too many times against pairs or even weaker aces. Let's see a flop....

P

Pokerman32750

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what the expected value of me winning the hand is compared to me losing the hand..

S

smoke8989

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it gets a lot easier to fold AK when you lose to 2s on the river.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I gotta say, I have done this a rare couple of times in poker tournaments, only because I'm so close to being paid in the tournament that I don't want to risk losing to a subpar hand. Anyone else done this? Or if you haven't, what was the toughest fold you made in a game pre-flop?
For me personally, 4 bets from a tight player is an easy fold!

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very tuff fold it depends on positioning and the amount of other players bet

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why fold if you can call, as long as it not all-in :icon_tong

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Only sometimes. Most times I am not folding this hand preflop.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a freeroll, I am probably getting it in, and if its a buyin and I have notes that the villan has the capability of getting it in with AJ etc then I am getting it in.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a monster hand I love to get dealt, but I've folded AK preflop many times before. If the action gets too hot quickly then you can be pretty sure someone likely has AA or KK etc. or even QQ we are flipping with.

Another problem with AK is that ANY pocket pair actually has better equity if both players are All In, so I don't even want to really see 22 from Villain if I have AK; I need to hit an Ace or King to win and even then they might hit a set as well.

Other than that, AK is still a powerful hand and worth calling a bet or two preflop :D Just don't want to be calling too many All in shoves from players who cover you or being in multiway pots against players who are aggressive enough to force you off of the hand.

btw here is a funny clip of comedy gold here for AK lol

p.s. there is language in the video, so don't watch if you are sensitive to that - but chances are you've heard at least one or two people venting before if you play poker xD

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As always, everything depends on the situation at the table.It is worth playing such hands in most cases.well, or wait for the hand 82).Analyze the table of players behind it and make the right decisions.Many years of playing poker gives you the right thoughts and emotions.everything is in your hands!

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everything is relative !

Let's imagine the following situation, you are on the button and before you two players are all-in.

Using the Oldds calculator here on the cardchat considering that the opponents will have random cards we will have a probability of victory between 55% ~~ 79% In most cases (we must remember that we don't know the opponent's hand). If the opponent has AA we still have a chance to win 17% of the time.

So in my opinion a KK should be played most of the time, do I leave some reference questions here:
Is it worth falling into the bubble of a tournament 20% of the time with KK?
Is my stack healthy enough to call two all-in with KK?
If I lose my tournament, will I feel good about knowing that I lost with KK?

Remembering that this is my personal opinion !!!;)

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course there are times I would fold AK preflop.

I can even think of situations I would fold AA preflop.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Absolutely and with ease, totally depends on the situation and for me its a very overrated and inflexible hand to play.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are very deep on a tournament or a cash game ( more than 200 bb) and 2 players go all in most certainly one of those players will have at least queens, kings or aces so folding in that spot is the right choice. also in satellites you can even fold aces if you have enough chipstack ( more than average) to quality for the target tournament. another spot where you might consider folding ace king preflop ( not that you should) is the final table of a tournament if you are the 2nd biggest stack with 50bb and the biggest stack who has 80bb shove all in preflop and there are players with less than 15-10bb. ICM is very important and you might have to adjust your ranges in order to be profitable in MTT in the long run.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Of course. On very, very rare occasions, I would fold AA pre-flop, so there would be a few more occasions where I would fold AK.

MC_asp

MC_asp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, i fold my AK sometimes when i'm near in the money in MTT and someone else with a bigger stake goes all in.
I would like to first secure the prizes and after I take some risk of losing my whole stake.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
..only because I'm so close to being paid in the tournament ..
That's a good fold and I would do that 7/10 times if it's a tough field, who and how many are in the hand ... . Cards are only part of your toolkit as are pure bluffs, timing out etc.. your strategy is always to make the most money with the least risk relative to what you can afford to lose.;)

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes there is a circumstance that i find myself sheltered to fold! even if you don't want to.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In multiple way maybe, depends on the tournament and situation

F

fifille07

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course yes if the timing is right. At the bubble or in a satellite for example.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Compare the power of the AK with any pocket pair in the odds calculator and you will see that the chances are always slightly higher on the side of the pocket pair. Have you ever folded pocket deuces before the flop (they are statistically stronger than AK)? Why risk being eliminated from the tournament after we have patiently built our position for a couple of hours, and why possibly get into some coin flip situation or the danger of someone hitting a favorable card on the pot and eliminating us.
Of course I folded AK before the flop.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
It depends on the situation, but I would not have any issues folding AK.

Here is an example in today's Cardschat Poker League. With two all-ins and the big stack also calling preflop, fairly early on in the game. I would have been no help to the team, if I got eliminated at this stage.

Even though I was a clear favorite preflop, the AK lived up to it's usual tricks (with me anyway).

Attachments

• 11March1.jpg
    11March1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 78
Folding in Poker