Would You Fold AK Pre-Flop?

• Total voters
R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I have definitely folded AK many times especially in tournaments when nearing the payout, it’s always tough to fold a hand like this or sometimes even pairs but I’ve been stung too many times by fishy fish fish when nearing the bubble

D

Dhembhe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak on the pre floop

Embora eu tenha perdido algumas vezes, não desisto quando tenho AK

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK Fold

I gotta say, I have done this a rare couple of times in poker tournaments, only because I'm so close to being paid in the tournament that I don't want to risk losing to a subpar hand. Anyone else done this? Or if you haven't, what was the toughest fold you made in a game pre-flop?

I have to agree. depending on my stack size the position on the table and of course the situation regarding ITM, but yes I have folded AK even suited preflop and in all cases it has been a correct decision...those who play AK continuously like its the NUTS will learn to lose big time..It's only two cards:):):)

D

Dritzer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the situation... if it's 3 bet coming to me I would consider it. The question is would you fold it on the flop if an ace or king hit... another question is would you fold a set on the flop? I have four times, three of which I made a good play down. One occasion was when there was 5 players to the flop with all 5 calling a 3 bet pre flop. The flop came 9,10,J... I had pocket 10's... 1st to act bet 1/3 pot 3 callers coming to me... some one likely had KQ so I folded... I was right and the board never paired. One time I folded coincidentally 10's on flop hitting a set and the turn would have given me quads and the bad beat losing hand... I lost alot as the bad beat was $186,000... so I lost $93,000... but I would make same decision given set of similar circumstances. 3 out 4 ain't bad I guess...

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your question implies you going allin with AK, I mean u can 3bet or 4bet and fold to allins if u are covered PF.
Post u want to play it and fold it if u think u are behind.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, yes, but such decisions are not made easily.But all cold reason and correct calculation make good conclusions.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depents of Position or how many Players betting range check every sitiation, live or online can be different

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depending on stack size, position, situation and "feeling in the stomach"

R

rapione98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only if it is in a bubble of FT or ITM

P

PointedTip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Sometimes I just "feel" someone is betting with AA or KK...

Alexpoker22

Alexpoker22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah sometimes, it depends the occasion, if another player raise too much or all in , i think a little bit a sometimesdecide to fold

B

Basililo25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is and stays a difficult decision, but depending on the circumstances (position, near bubble, 3-betted) sometimes it is better to fold, even top cards.
If you fold you cannot loose, you may win, but ....
In most of the cases, when I folded a promising hand, and the hand came to show-down, I was pleased to have folded my hand, because otherwise I would have lost my chips. (... and only sometimes, I thought later, you better would have played out the hand and take the risk.)
Most of the times, you will never know it.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK

Hello. if I am before the bubble. and according to what type of player if I do it

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, when it's not suited and my stack is small facing an all in.

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK can be thrown out if you are close to the prizes...and there are many situations where you can throw out big cards without regret

I

Ikado21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not suited and against more than one 3 bet-caller always

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I fold even KK which is almost same strong as AK that’s why AK can be folded also

illphillllllll

illphillllllll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is always situational. If you were sitting first on the bubble of a satellite and 2nd and chips jams all in i fold AA preflop all day. Only in a satty but even AA is foldable pre.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without a full scenario i would say it depends!

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I gotta say, I have done this a rare couple of times in poker tournaments, only because I'm so close to being paid in the tournament that I don't want to risk losing to a subpar hand. Anyone else done this? Or if you haven't, what was the toughest fold you made in a game pre-flop?

AK I have reset many times. If someone goes to olin for my entire stack, then I will reset AK . Or if the multipod and all the olynyat then the more I send AK to pass . I will also throw off AA if there are a lot of players who went to olin:)

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I even folded pocket queens preflop. It all depends on the stage of the tournament.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol yes of course

wgeb u see a raíse + reraise / all in etc. and at least one of the players is a nit then i will fold AK easily . especially off suit

P

Pibo1797

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of the stage of the tournament but yes i could fold

Last edited:
Folding in Poker