Would you ever fold Aces?

TjaartW

TjaartW

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A matter that I have been contemplating a lot about is that a pocket pair is only one pair ... unless you hit a set it will only stay one pair ... in the game today people will call a raise with suited connectors and the odds for hitting 2 pair, str8 or flush is very fairly good ... especially on a big table ... in essential would you bet a big stack on only one pair?

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the pre-flop fold aces is a serious mistake, and do not necessarily go with them all in

S

spitzy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold aces preflop, if it's after flop it all depends on the cards on the table and the opponent you're playing against, if it's a very tight opponent and a tough board i'd definitely fold aces sometimes, yeah.

Aleksandr Slepkin

Aleksandr Slepkin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today on freeroll CC 15+.Did raise with position MP1, BB all in
F9GaiKO5NYI.jpg

Dunc8b

Dunc8b

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having read through the answers so far I am surprised at the number of people who would *never* fold aces pre-flop.

Even as a novice I have seen many instances where aces have crashed and burned badly enough for me to consider how the plays have been made before it's my turn to play - even with aces.

One example is when playing late and a number of people have already made strong bids, or worse several have already gone all-in. I know nothing about winning percentages (yet) so I'll go with logic.

Logic tells me that it is likely that at least one other player has an ace in their hand. Their second card doesn't matter as logically there is at best only one other ace available to match with my pair or I *need* a pair to show in the common cards.

Stack size is irrelevant. I need to decide if I am happy to not only throw away X chips but to boost someone else's chip stack with my chips.

If it looks like a food fight I will happily stack aces.

Post flop the decision is normally made easier with what cards appear with the flop and later and how people are reacting. It's a desperate move if you are seeing four of a suit which don't match your aces and you are still going hard on the river against others.

partyboy392

partyboy392

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only fold aces in tournaments, if I have a reasonable stack and the bubble round is coming. So in order to stay alive and get into the prizes zone, it's safer to fold them. Because, as we all know, it's the good cards that will get you in the most trouble.

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 98% of always to the end! Well, he threw off a couple of times against a flush when 4 cards of the same suit on the table and I did not get it

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
n 98% always go to the end! Well, he threw off a couple of times against a flush when 4 cards of the same suit on the table and I did not get it

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, still, everything will depend on the bank and the number of persons to the award

Dunc8b

Dunc8b

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I had folded aces 45 minutes ago. Only myself and one other player and I was in the dealer position. They went 3BB and I thought that it was a good time to go all in.

He had 9 9 and guess what turned up on the river, another 9. Fulol house v. my two pair and I'm out of chips.

Aces are *not* bullet proof.

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
prefolop: only folding in extreme icm satellite situations
postflop: depends on situation: position, stacks, board texture, etc

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
aces preflop sbrasyvayutsya not ever, and already in post flop, you need to evaluate what fell, and the behavior of the players

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold Aces pre flop.

Postflop is another story. You really have to read the cards of opponents. I someone raises on the flop you should make a tough re-raise. If he calls he hit something. Wait for the Turn and you should bet even higher...

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can throw aces, only if the board has two pair, and I do not raise before the flop, or made a small raise; or if on the board 4 cards of the same suit that does not coincide with my aces.

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you let your AAs be put into that position to lose? No matter what when I have them I make sure its a big hand or folds.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yesterday I had to reset the pocket aces, the opponent after the flop very agresivno began to play the flop fell three cards of the same suit, and I lost and I do not consider it a mistake

fiveohtwo502

fiveohtwo502

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold if there were 4 people already all in and it was on me to call. Way too many hands in the pot for my aces to have legs. Your J10s etc are in that pot and likely to crack. Just my opinion.

D

Doobubs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't ever fold AA period pre flop. I tend to three bet and then leave the decision to go all in to the opponent. Depends on my position though.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop never, post flop many times when I saw bad flop for aces

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And usually the bigger payout isn't going to be some huge thing, and if it is, you're playing too high.

I'm thinking it would have to be a situation for me like its the FT bubble of the Main Event, and its a couple hundred grand difference if you make the FT, for instance. (I don't think its this sizable, hypothetical situation.)

I guess it hammers the point home, though... the only way I'm folding AA preflop is if its a satellite with the seat hanging in the balance -- or a couple hundred grand (life-changing money) in the other example.

The bubble in a tournament, if you are using correct bankroll management, should mean nothing. You should be trying to win the tournament, not worrying about the bubble. (EDIT: Of course the bubble means SOMETHING, I just mean that if we're using correct BRM, bubbling one tournament if you get AA cracked should not be a crisis situation!) :D

Other than the satellite seat or the possibility of life-changing money with a fold, folding the best hand pre-flop is just asinine.

It may be cracked but yet, pre-flop droping the AA hand is the same as dropping a Str8 Flush fearing the opponent has the higher end of the Str8 Flush.. It will win 70% of times or more..

D

Danc1u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u fold the best poker hand pre flop i thinck is a huge mistake,no matter If is for bouble or ft,its almost imposibile for me to fold them preflop..

B

Blackout09

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Aces look good preflop. But At the river I always get beat. Sucks.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folded AA or KK before the flop - mistake, after the flop, that's not a mistake.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On preflop nevere never never.
But when cards are on table and you have a reason to suspect the enemy is stornger then fold is good solution!

H

HonestPokr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no excuse to fold Aces preflop unless you yourself are content with where you are with your chip stack in a tournament or cash game. I folded aces many times after the flop and I do mean many times, especially when I was younger and more patient. I will say not folding Aces preflop has cost me to lose with those rockets too with most of the time being to pocket jacks coincidently to women(lol, no disrespect ladies; just stating facts). A golden rule for most people is you can't fold the Aces preflop; so just go all in and take it down if you are nervous. The true poker wisdom should be based on you being content with what you have; and I say that because I've folded thirty hands in a row without looking at them because I was content with my stack in this one particular tournament for a certain time period. I was informed I had aces twice. They laughed but it didn't matter to me, because I knew what I was doing. I won second in that tournament. Be content with you. :)

Folding in Poker