Would you ever fold Aces?

S

Special Events

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not pre-flop - but you didn't specify so I have to say yes I would.

Rincewind

Rincewind

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are plenty of occasions when it is wise to fold aces. Even pre flop

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold aces pre flop, afterwards decide accordingly

jashiggs

jashiggs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think there is any other situation in a tournament where i would fold Aces pre flop. Infact tounament or cash games! Your satellite situation definitely has merit and like another member pointed out, the bubble life changing money situation should never reaLly occur through correct BRM. Infact tounament or cash games. Postflop is a different matter but there would need to be a set of circumstances postflop that would force me to fold these on the flop.

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are plenty of occasions when it is wise to fold aces. Even pre flop

Preflop? If a satellite seat is riding, OK.

In a regular MTT? No way in hell. Not preflop.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me there are no such circumstances under which I could at least think over what to throw away aces)))

Samuel Lee

Samuel Lee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop in cash games never. In tourneys I would do that only if I have a big chance of passing the bubble and losing would mean elimination.
Postflop it depends of course. You have lots of other things to influence your decision.

Nikolay23

Nikolay23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No,i make big reise preflop and then just can't fold.

K

Kdjb

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will throw aces if I'm beaten a lot of people struggle to fold them though! a lot struggle to fold any pocket pair!

M

Mircea Craciun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's not talk about postflop play. That's irrelevant to the topic.

You NEVER fold aces only in a satellite (like you mentioned) but on specific ocasions.

ex. 15 places gtd, you're 3rd and the bigstack pushes. 17 players remaining. Some crazy context like that.

KK is actually more problematic. I can't even count the number of times I've been 4 betted on small stakes tournaments and was sure he had aces. Saw a dry flop, went all-in hoping he turns AK or QQ and run into the rockets.

I wouldn't fold aces on the first hand of the main event. It's the dream having a 80%+ chance of starting with a double stack, even if that involves a chance to get bad beat.

smoked100000

smoked100000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HEY you have to know when to fold them thats for sure no two cards are invincable!

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know anything about these "leaderboard" games... I only play money games and in *real* MTT, folding AA preflop in the early stages of a tournament is ridiculous, especially when you are able to get all the money in good.

If these leaderboard games are getting people to think that folding AA in the early stages of a tournament is a profitable play, then yes, they're disastrous for actually learning poker.

Do I love it if I get like 4 callers? No, obviously there's more chance of a drawout. But that is poker, and I'd be fist-pump calling these all-ins and if I got cracked, then so be it -- that's why you have bankroll management, to handle when you get a big hand cracked even though you've played it exactly as you should play it.

EDIT: If these leaderboard games are freerolls, that explains why he's getting 4 people to the flop all-in. That *rarely* happens in $$ MTT.

i'm a guy that learn from experience and from experience i know that all MTT's are different for a lot of reasons. AA is a hand that is more dangerous to play against fishes than TAG players even more, you have never fold preflop against TAG's because AA rarely lose against something like QQ, AK, AQ (you know ehat hands play TAG players) but fishes could call you whit suited cards and suited cards have the most chances to beat an AA preflop and even worse if two or more people call whit different suited cards. the chances of losing are high than you can expect.

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm a guy that learn from experience and from experience i know that all MTT's are different for a lot of reasons. AA is a hand that is more dangerous to play against fishes than TAG players even more, you have never fold preflop against TAG's because AA rarely lose against something like QQ, AK, AQ (you know ehat hands play TAG players) but fishes could call you whit suited cards and suited cards have the most chances to beat an AA preflop and even worse if two or more people call whit different suited cards. the chances of losing are high than you can expect.

I'll take my chances. I'm getting the money in good, if they suck out, that's poker.

If you're that worried about busting out holding AA knowing that you got the money in good, then you must be playing outside of bankroll management. The strategy you are advocating is just sooooooooooo nitty.

Yeah, it sucks to get multiple players against you. That doesn't mean you turn down a profitable decision because you might get sucked out on.

If you lose, no one is going to question you -- you had the best hand when the money went in, and that's really all you can hope for in poker.

T

Tomioto3095

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would never fould AA pre flop, because is the best hand you can have. I like to play right, so i can't fold AA. KK depends on the situacion pre flop

T

tcdukesdood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill fold aces if everyone at table all in.

A

alexdr87

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a satellite where almost guaranteed in prizes and you can throw in other cases, I just no skins aces

widron2s

widron2s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sattelites are the only time I fold Aces preflop, but other than that like on the bubble, nah I'm shoving preflop. However if it was on the flop, there is a huge possibility I fold Aces.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the board , connected cards , flushed , easy fold

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never fold preflop KK-AA.
But postflop easy.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll take my chances. I'm getting the money in good, if they suck out, that's poker.

If you're that worried about busting out holding AA knowing that you got the money in good, then you must be playing outside of bankroll management. The strategy you are advocating is just sooooooooooo nitty.

Yeah, it sucks to get multiple players against you. That doesn't mean you turn down a profitable decision because you might get sucked out on.

If you lose, no one is going to question you -- you had the best hand when the money went in, and that's really all you can hope for in poker.

56% of chances to win preflop, is a good decision to shove? poker is a game of probabilities, patience and good decision. when you play AA against only 1 player probabilities to win are about 66% it's a big difference, and after all a poker game is not decided by only one hand. However the situation that i described you i took taking in mind too many factors.
And even more it's wrong to think you can get good value only from premium hands, you can get value even from "garbage hands" i remember a situation i got a huge pot bluffing 23 in flop.

Last edited:
Y

Yura Nabok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have not dropped the aces, kings, and dumped more than once

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop AA, KK I idvice you not thrown away. On the flop if released Ace can fold to the aggression of the opponent

FrostyyAustyy

FrostyyAustyy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My currently strategy is to never fold them pre, they just have so much all in equity; however, I have folded aces and kings postflop. For example if it's a monotone flop and neither of my cards are that suite, I'll probably call one bullet and if the turn is the same suite I'll be folding to a second bullet.

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
56% of chances to win preflop, is a good decision to shove? poker is a game of probabilities, patience and good decision. when you play AA against only 1 player probabilities to win are about 66% it's a big difference, and after all a poker game is not decided by only one hand. However the situation that i described you i took taking in mind too many factors.
And even more it's wrong to think you can get good value only from premium hands, you can get value even from "garbage hands" i remember a situation i got a huge pot bluffing 23 in flop.

Yes, its a good decision to shove -- and not one person said you could only get value from premium hands.

We may as well just stop conversing, we are never going to agree. Especially considering you're going to tell me you'll take 23 to a flop and then make huge bluffs with it during the same conversation that you tell me you'll fold AA preflop because you're so risk adverse...

Folding in Poker