What is truly a "bad beat" in poker?

1mba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
watched all the videos in the thread and for this moments we should love unpredictable poker:unsure:

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Anything that kills my cards when I am confident of my victory is a bad beat for me. This can be a very serious test, it can be difficult to play afterwards, and the tournament can be lost. In general, the terminology is not very important for me, what matters is whether I won or lost at that moment. ) Something like this. )

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
For me a bad bear is when you have more than 85% chances to win the hand before the river and lose, or you have more than 85% chance pre flop and still lose.

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think that most bad beats happen when the turn and the river change the board,like (AA x AJ) flop 23K (AA shove) (AJ call) turn Q river T
thats a bad beat
God bless

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not classify the situation in this video as a bad beat. Both hands are quite strong, and there isn't a significant difference in equity. That's why both players have a chance to win their respective hands; it's essentially a coin flip.

I would consider it a bad beat if one player has a much stronger hand than the other, for instance, AA against 72, and the player with 72 manages to get two pairs, for example

Baurzhan11

Baurzhan11

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
for me, bad beat is when two opponents have 66 in their hands and four identical spades open on the table and one defeats the other 🤣

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
A bad beat in poker is a situation where we have a strong game, we bet for value and we are paid by a weaker hand which finds improbable outs to improve and beat our hand.

The worst bad beat I experienced was in a cash game, I had K9s on the button, everyone folds, I open raise 3bb, SB folds and BB calls, flop K 5 9

BB donk bet, I shove, he calls, he had KQo, he asked for 2 turns 2 rivers, I accept, he had Q on the 1st river and Q on the second.

xico_moita

xico_moita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Uma bad beat no pôquer é perder uma mão em uma situação em que você era um claro favorito, com cerca de 90-95% de chance de ganhar. Quando o seu oponente, no processo de colocação em campo em uma das ruas subsequentes, “alcança” seus 1-2 outs, então tal distribuição será uma clara bad beat para o jogador.
Definitely losing AA x 72 with all pre flop... putz that's a badbeat slut

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I think that almost all the answers here can be correct from the definition known scholastically as a bad beat in poker. However, I also believe that a good percentage of players confuse a bad beat with a misread of the opposing odds. Specifically, many players, even when seeing their opponent defend or show aggression on a wet board, continue betting because they have a pair or more already hit, without considering the opponent's odds. In such cases, it shouldn't be considered a bad beat, as it's clear that the opponent has favorable odds. Instead, it seems more like a risky and poor play by the player assuming their card was a winner.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes I see people saying that had bad beats when they shoved whit a weaker hand than the opponent, hits the flop and loses in the river.
For me, the truly bad beat is when you are with a premium hand against trash and loses.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Mathematically I would say any had that you are at least 66.66% favorite to win and loose is a bad beat imo.

There are other bad beats at table too imo like sometimes a player might raise you out of a multi-way pot for no reason and you would have hit a big hand on later street.

I also consider being on the wrong end of a cooler a bad beat like running pocket Kings in to pocket Aces preflop with a short stack.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's not just when you lose
For a hand worse than yours
But yes, when the hand
From the villain, it doesn't make sense
Whether he paid or bet...
It's a bad feeling (BAD BEAT)

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello I think that bad beats are only in live poker. In online poker I think the plays are predetermined by the software, that is, whoever wants the sof. this happened to me this game on Saturday in the CC $500 tournament. A PLAYER WENT ALLIN WITH T6off and I called with KK and on the flop 66T fell in the river gold T and eliminated me. How do you understand that a player goes all in with T6 preflop. It only happens in online pokerstars. pd. you have to ask CC That reviews prize ticket tournaments don't work. PS gives them away every day and to win a prize you must play a series of tournaments that never let you get real money

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
You cannot influence such situations, which means there is no point in talking about them. Why surround yourself with thoughts of failure when you can ignore bad beats, work on your game and discuss interesting hands with your friends, rather than loading them with meaningless information.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In simple terms , getting in with the best hand and getting runner runnered or 1/2 outered.
All the other ones set over set , being the favorite etc are just the part of poker you'd better learn to accept because it happens frequently :D

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
When you have color to As in flop and then in turn river the villain get full house, but sometimes poker punch in weird ways.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How do you define a true bad beat in poker?
For me, the real bad beat is that hand that you're sure is nuts, but when you see the villain's hand, your eyes widen and you don't want to believe that he had a better hand than yours, that's the real bad beat.😱😨😩😭😁

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Bad beat is a subjective and invented term. The situation changes at each stage of card opening (flop, turn, river). A winning combination becomes obvious after five open cards on the table.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Typically, a bad beat has to involve the board. You can't call it a bad beat just because you were ahead preflop and end up losing. That happens all the time, A bad beat has to be a situation where you have the nuts or close to it on the flop or turn and end up losing like quads over quads.
When i shove it and have a clear advantage with 80%+ chance of winning hands and then the odds turn against me, That is really the worst thing in poker and i think its impossible to avoid bad beats.

Last edited:
ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the real "bad beat" is when you really have an almost unbeatable hand and it's only one hand, or one of a few hands that can beat the almost winning hand.
There were a couple of these in poker broadcasts, maybe also in the wsop broadcast when the "AA four of a kind" hand was knocked out on the river by a K,10s Royal Flush.
Well, this is the real "bad beat" in my opinion, when there is almost no chance of losing, but still that 1% or 0.5% chance is in the opponent's favor and the big pot jumped, the plane ticket home can come.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
For me, a Bad Beat is when your opponent tries to make you fold with his All-in push after the Flop J-J-A, even though he didn't hit anything (9-7). I call with (10-10), blowing his bluff, but he still wins because the Turn and River show 9-9 or 7-7.

Another Bad Beat is when my opponent only has one Out to win after the Flop and Turn and then hits that Out on the River.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be a Bad beat pre flop or post flop, for example: AA pre flop, vs A2o, and if a flop comes out like, 22X or 345, I consider that to be a Bad beat, or on the flop you have AA vs 22, the flop 2Ax and the river is 2, that would be a terrible Bad beat in my opinion. :(

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Cooler and bad beat in poker are very similar to each other, many people confuse the meanings of Cooler and bad beat, but they have some differences!!! For example, in a situation where two opponents do the right thing by playing all-in with a strong hand, but one loses, then this is a bad beat, but a cooler is when one has a strong hand and the other player has a clearly worse hand and he was just lucky!!! In my opinion, in this case it’s a bad beat!!!

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me a bad beat is when I get my money in with the best hand and get called down by someone that has no business being involved and he sucks out on the river and hits the one card in the deck that beats me.
You have like a 90% or better chance of winning at the river and get sucked out on.
All you can do is live with the fact that you played the hand correct and hope that the sucker will do the same thing next time and you bust him.