What mistakes did you make as a beginner and how did you improve?

MolonAA

MolonAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the beginning played many hands, it was very cool. I am getting better.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quit shoving all in with Ax all the time. I started understanding the importance of stack size and raise size and mixing my game up, and position play and how not to lose my chip stack by getting squeezed and learning how to put a read on a person and how to place a person on a hand preflop.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two most costly:
1) Always thinking that villain is bluffing
2) throwing money at them when I new I am beat

Had to work hard on my mental game to correct this.

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my biggest mistake when i start to play was pay to see in every hand, yes i was a donkey :v

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing real money without experience. Playing poker like if It was bingo , but after playing thousands of hands , and learning and reading , my playing méthode has improved.i found out that poker is a very different game, it needs to stay focus , to not make things personally .

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allow myself to get checked on river into bluffing with my stack and then stacked when it turns out they have the nuts. Just lost a tournament I was doing fine in from that. I am reading too much into what other people bet. Sometimes, they can be deceptive.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing A with any other cards, no matter the position. read some online strategies help me with that, also the experience

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistakes as a beginner

Good Gracious! I still make some of them. Never know when I can expect a relapse. One of the many waka waka mistakes was betting too much. I read, studied and read again. I used Excel to figure the betting stats out so I felt comfortable with card values. I still update and use those. It has been and still is a great learning tool....Sometimes.
:stupido:

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I did not know about the poker school, about the mathematics of poker. I don `t know why I couldn't win anything. I considered poker a game where either lucky or unlucky.
When I found out about poker school I first entered the money in the tournament, and after a while I won a sit and go 0.10 for 360 participants.

L

Lebanesebaloney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing many hands... being patient

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing too many hands is a common beginner mistake. I obviously had to tighten up my hand selection. Another mistake I made was playing any ace. Often being outkicked forced me to fold ace rag in many spots.

zippaya

zippaya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a beginner, I played all hands. At the time, I haven't thought about the strength of the hands I was dealt, I was waiting for the flop to see what I got. Today, I have improved my pre-flop game. I know this is a common mistake that everyone makes, I wasn't an exception to the rule! :) of course, there was so many mistakes that every beginner makes, but this was the biggest one.

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what were your mistakes as a beginner and how you think you have improved from experience by playing or from study?
Hi demibar,

Detecting own errors is the beginning of any improvement. It is very difficult to realize what you are doing wrong if you do not study and listen to more experienced players. I mean, in most of the issues, I did not realize that I was making mistakes until I heard professionals mention or analyze the specific topic.

Main mistakes as a begginer:

- Do not take into account the position
- Do not take stacks into account

Semi-Solved by reading basic material on those topics and, of course, practice. I still sometimes forget to evaluate the stacks.

Main mistakes today:

Frequently I'm wrong with the sizes of bets. Or I bet too much, and the opponent flees too early, or I bet very little, giving the opponent a cheap opportunity to connect his draw. I am studying those situations, but for those movements to become "natural" they must be applied at the tables. So, the solution is practice, practice, practice.

I recently heard a poker master say that in this game the one who makes the least mistakes wins. So...

Last edited:
A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really a 'beginner'

However,

I learned about hand rankings, and tight play from several good poker books. I then spent many years thinking i was pretty good, but I was sticking to the tight play a little TOO well. I now realize I was just mediocre.

My play took a big jump when I started seeing the game as position, pot odds, implied odds, and play styles, with the actual card ranking secondary (at least pre-flop). When I'm on the button, and it's folded around to me, I almost always raise (unless I have truly atrocious cards, or the guys on my left are hard to bet off a hand).

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing for a long time and I still consider myself a beginner. That being said the most important things that I have learned in this time is really paying attention to my opponents style of play always looking for patterns and also putting my opponents on a hand preflop. I have also learned not to get emotional and shove all of my chips in the pot when I don't have the nut. I have learned about Value betting when I have the nut. Those are a few important things that I have learned about during my learning process in the game of texas holdem.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far, in rough order:
-Using terrible bankroll management that caused me to play scared money
-Not taking the studying/analysis part of the game seriously
-Not calculating pot odds correctly
-Playing too many hands
-Bluffing too much
-Bluffing on boards that don't make sense to
-Overvaluing small pocket pairs
-Calling too light, not adjusting to other players' play
-Playing too aggressively at the start of tournaments ("it's cheap!")
-Getting too married to AKo preflop especially in cash games
-Not paying enough attention to ICM
-Not knowing how to play shortstacked (I got 'snapshove' based on a pro's recommendation, it's pretty helpful!)

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what were your mistakes as a beginner and how you think you have improved from experience by playing or from study?

The mistakes were different, I did not know about the chances of the bank, nor about the number of outs, but, in my opinion, the main mistake was playing tilt, in a bad mood.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are my mistakes.
1. When I have a good stack, I often bluff even with a bad hand.
2. I try to steal sweat too often.
4. The difficulty of dumping an AA on a dangerous flop.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just played too loose and out of position too much.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a beginner, I used to play out of position. To shove a lot. When I stopped dping that, my game got better.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like any newcomer, I initially played a lot of flops and tried to put together a combination. That's what rookies do. It is very good that there is an opportunity at first to play for game money and get rid of gross errors. Even playing for play money can hone your style of play for the future.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played a limp call,played everything simple...

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As a beginner I played too many hands out of positions and I did not even know how to leverage poker positions.

Now after 14 years of experience it does not get easier however you start to use little tricks to steal some chips.

D

djsviga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are several mistakes beginners make when starting to play the game, among them I'd say play too many hands, don't take in consideration position (which we all know is a huge thing in poker), limp way too much instead of opening raise, not having a clear starting hand range preflop and again, depending on your position and the action happening, not being emotional prepared for the game (easily tilting)...etc, etc