What mistakes did you make as a beginner and how did you improve?

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my first poker mistakes were a game with a weak ace of incomprehensible stakes where that's incomprehensible bluff uncertain game with a strong hand After a while I reviewed the game of my hands and improved the quality of the game and now it's getting much better

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mistakes that I try to go into the game with any card I can not wait for a good card here are those errors that I want to fix.

Alex Houngan

Alex Houngan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest mistake when not a lot of money won, think that you are a professional and start playing above the limits not for bankroll

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play many hands regardless of the position change that part of my game watching videos and reading guides

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i made all the mistakes you can imagine lolone thing i learned, is waiting for the good cards
the rest will come slowly one by one

L

luckybest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play every pair but then I realized that poker is a game of patience now I only play pairs if they are premium hands like as kk and sometimes I fold them if there's a lot of ppl in the hand

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive made every kind of mistake you can make.

Now I just make less of them.

I studied very hard for many years. :)

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started, the biggest mistake was excessive emotionality. After a short break I comprehended his actions and began to play more relaxed, emotions in the game are now gone into the background.

C

concoman710

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many mistakes. The biggest mistake, one I still battle with, is playing games that are too high for my bankroll. It is the definition of gambling when you know that one course of action will give you a better chance of success yet you choose the alternative. For example, playing an MTT for 10% of your bankroll instead of 1%.

Having compulsive tendencies will only hurt you in the long-run even though you might benefit in the short run. Be smart :D

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant named one simply cuz i did them all. But every game playd gives me more knowledge so you can say that i learn playing.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My personal opinion about mistakes in poker, as a beginner is patience. As well as an old saying .... when playing poker you have to have patience and tobacco, only if you are a smoker if you do not get up. :). So the conclusion: "patience" friends poker players.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played way over my bankroll everytime i had money to play with. Huge misstake

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Bad BR management. I now will not play unless I meet buyin guidlines.

2. Unable to fold big hands post flop. Now if everything says I'm beat I move on.

3. Betting scared instead of for value. I used to want folds, now I want calls when I have hands.

O

otadd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i always ignore the position and i don't give a **** about that, i learned hahahahaha but when i see how important every detail about position i evolve so much in the game !
knowledge is always welcome

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing way too many hands at first! You just learn to tighten up, you learn to play lag, play passive, etc. you must learn all strategies along the way. you will find your own style after long enough.

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first i believe playing too many hands was my biggest weakness. After some time studying and playing, you learn to adopt and adapt different strategies. You will find yourself switching up from tag, lag, to very passive, etc especially in tournament poker. After some time you will learn and figure out what type and style works for you.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake was having no bankroll management, everytime i won a bit of money I'd just put it all on a cash games. I had a few good runs, got from 2 bucks from a freeroll to about 300 bucks on fulltilt but ultimately lost it due to poor management. Plus back then i was just a fish on a heater so ... it was inevitable. :p:p

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of you have already said this, for me it was position. I had no idea what that meant. Now I understand the power of position I win way more hands.

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If an opponent has several different combinations of cards that can beat me, I probably am. If an opponent makes a big bet, and all I can beat is a bluff, he probably isn't. If the board is paired, and I have no trips, be careful, good chance someone does.

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I really had trouble with was playing out of position and then losing a lot of chips because of it after the flop. I would have ok hands, like mid pair, and raise after the flop and then get 3bet by a set or draw and end up with nothing afterwards. The one way i improved was to really read up on playable hands by position and just constantly study what positions are best for what hands. Theres a lot of sites that have articles about this sort of thing that I HIGHLY suggest you read. Once you fix this in your own game it becomes one of the best tools to use on other players and get extra chips from them or stop your loses because you know what kind of cards they probably have. Best of luck to you and keep up the studying!
Could u tell me more on which hands are best for each position. Do u mean just what hands to play from each position or are certain hands better for a certain position

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Playing too many hands.
Google images is hands to play in each position.

2. Gambling too much. Calling people’s all ins and chasing draws.
Thinking about the odds of each bet or call.

3. Bluffed too much. All three streets.
Learning which hands to bluff with and when I felt a lot of aggression being returned. I give up without the hand

4. Playing on auto pilot.
When I catch myself making dumb plays. I step back n to me tell myself. If I’m not thinking. I’m gambling.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a begginer and I am still making mistakes but after reading most of the comments I think I am making all the mistakes till now

R

RobQQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ultimatebet

I had all my bankroll sitting on one site. $9000 when i lost it all because people were cheating on site at ultimatebet. Also, i think slow playing AA got me in a lot of trouble.

M

mezabruzik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a mistake so I always played in any position pair cards from 10/10 and above, and this merged a lot of hands.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im sure im still kind of a beginner and im still making mistakes, but i did learn a lot from cardschat and its members :)