The Two Types of Equity (Day 4 Course Discussion)

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Debi!

Steve, nice question and I hope I'm understanding it correctly :) In Equilab, you would want to put in your hand first, and then your opponent's hand or range. At that point you click to Calculate and it gives the percentages. If you then multiple your % by the pot size, you get your total number-of-chips equity in the pot.

Hope that helps and thanks for posting Bama too, that's a good answer and it's definitely true that these are ranges we expect our opponents to have without knowing for sure!

If you are 8.8 % into the 531 pot and it is 46 chips of equity does that mean that you should only risk 46 chips of your stack ? so anymore than that amount in a bet would not be worth betting ?

Thanks

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are 8.8 % into the 531 pot and it is 46 chips of equity does that mean that you should only risk 46 chips of your stack ? so anymore than that amount in a bet would not be worth betting ?

Thanks

Good question.

If you have say 100 chips in equity in a pot, that doesn't mean you should bet more than 100 or call more than 100. If you bet 110 for example, you can also win by your opponent folding. If you call 110, you might win 250 at the next betting round.

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, i understood the overall concept of equity, but i don't know if i got exactly how chip equity aplies.

For example: if im the big blind with 85s and my stack is 20k and the villain that is a tight agressive player is on the button.

Blinds are 500/1000 with 100 anti, so a 2400 pot so far.
Villain check raise 2000 making the pot 4400.

My hand equity should be arround 33% while the chip equity to be invested is arround 22%

Should that positive value of chip equity a indicator if hero should call or not

Thanks for the class

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold equity is fundamental to NHLE. It's why C-betting with nothing is often worth it. Fold equity and showdown equity together is what makes semibluffing a good play. It's why you play polarized range. Lack of fold equity is why limit holdem sux.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, i understood the overall concept of equity, but i don't know if i got exactly how chip equity aplies.

For example: if im the big blind with 85s and my stack is 20k and the villain that is a tight agressive player is on the button.

Blinds are 500/1000 with 100 anti, so a 2400 pot so far.
Villain check raise 2000 making the pot 4400.

My hand equity should be arround 33% while the chip equity to be invested is arround 22%

Should that positive value of chip equity a indicator if hero should call or not

Thanks for the class

Glad you asked this question -- It doesn't matter what % of the chips in the pot you personally invested. What you want to focus on is your hand equity and the odds.

We'll go through the process in a lot more detail coming up!

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An interesting topic with a lot of follow-up information in the forum. Still getting my head around it a little (I feel I understand it but will see how I think about it when I play next). Regarding equilab etc I am not sure if it is worthwhile. I am a mobile phone player. Should I be analysing my game more after a defeat to get a better understanding of equity? Just wondering if there is a better way to learn more from my mistakes or defeats? Loving the course a s moving onto next chapter very soon. Thanks all.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An interesting topic with a lot of follow-up information in the forum. Still getting my head around it a little (I feel I understand it but will see how I think about it when I play next). Regarding equilab etc I am not sure if it is worthwhile. I am a mobile phone player. Should I be analysing my game more after a defeat to get a better understanding of equity? Just wondering if there is a better way to learn more from my mistakes or defeats? Loving the course a s moving onto next chapter very soon. Thanks all.

You should be analyzing your game more, but we'll suggest good ways to do that as the course progresses -- Equilab is just a nice way to visualize and experiment with equities.

Thanks for the nice words and good luck with the next days!

turrui262

turrui262

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if people go deeper into what they are doing they can get a good advantage of the App, and very good takes many doubts

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Loving the course, feel my game improving by leaps and bounds.
Equity is an interesting concept I'm still trying to wrap my head around.
I believe it is correct to say if I'm big stack, with a good table image,(strong TAG etc) Raising vs shorter stacks preflop and flop is a +EV action with or without having the goods.
And also same action vs a mid-high stack flop/preflop while considering your fold equity.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loving the course, feel my game improving by leaps and bounds.
Equity is an interesting concept I'm still trying to wrap my head around.
I believe it is correct to say if I'm big stack, with a good table image,(strong TAG etc) Raising vs shorter stacks preflop and flop is a +EV action with or without having the goods.
And also same action vs a mid-high stack flop/preflop while considering your fold equity.

Thanks for your nice words and generally yes, your observations are right on target—well done :)

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loving the course for sure.

Equity is another very important concept and along with other odds calculations can be the reason for the best decisions at the felt.

Thanks CC for the "Become a Winning Player in 30 Days" course.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really enjoyed this particular topic as it answers the value of value and investment i have in a pot, it can also highlight where being priced in - to call can come into play and highlights areas of value to make either a call/raise/jam or even a fold.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite an interesting explanation, thank you!:)

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another Day another Session!
When he was talking about someone liking T4o - and he can't immagine it when he was building ranges ... well here's me... the streamer that missclicked twice in the same tourney with T4o winning both hands making this my stream-hand so yeah..... in any homegame T4o is a manditory 3bet now :D
But all the fun aside - i was hoping that there would be some talk about equity-realization cause having all the equity in the world is great - but if you can't realize it because you are out of position.... Well let's see what the next days bring in content - maybe there will be a talk about it! :)

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It's a very interesting course, thank you

The quiz answers :

1. K1lld0nk's equity on the flop is 8.8%

2. k1lld0nk's equity in chips is 46.72

3. I don't think Ralph487 has fold equity because he has top pair and k1lld0nk's range includes a lot of aces suited aces and connectors.

4. On the flop, k1lld0nk's fold equity is 8.8% if he shoves and Ralph folds, his fold equity goes from 8.8% to 100% and his fold equity in chips goes from 46.72 to 531

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It looks like a continuation of lesson 3. Elements of higher mathematics from the probability theory section. What is considered to be intuition is brought under a mathematical framework. Yes, that's about how I calculate, but without a calculator. In the more-less mode. A more accurate calculation with a shortage of time is impossible in my opinion. But I admit that there are players with an adding machine in their head. And therefore I make a correlation in the acceptance of fold equity "by eye".

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 4: Two Types of Equity

So equity is the ownership percentage of a pot either by how much you put in pot or the odds of winning a hand that can change on streets?

Was wondering why Collin didn't use a odds calculator available here at cardschat or on cardplayer then I think equilab allows you to use throw in a person's possible hand range for calculations. Nice to see Collin explains stuff further with the review questions. The book goes over some other forms of equity.

Another good episode but its just not for me.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 4... 26 to go

This lesson i really enjoy it a lot, i didn't think that i fully understood the equity but after those 3 questions from Collin, i paused the video and answered them in a notepad, and to my surprise i answered all of them correctly :eek:

I still don't think that i understand every situation but it's much easier for me to see someone explain it like this. GG on the course, it's really entertaining.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Equity vs cashing

It's been said that it's better to play equity over cash in tournaments, but I think that's a little tricky, mostly when we get closer to the bubble. I'm not sure, but if I'm not wrong, there is the chip value to real money that comes on account. And sometimes folding a 53% or even 65% equity would be profitable once on the bubble, even in EV+, when we are up to shove average/ deep stack. It's an idea I got from the Harrington on modern tournaments book. So I would be glad to have a feed back about this situation if you would value your equity or rather chip-money value

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've just started the lesson and decided to give the Cardschat poker odds Calculator a spin. I used the link in the pdf book. It looks a bit different from the picture in the book, but more importantly I can't seem to figure out how to make it work. When I click on the blank cards with the + sign on them, nothing happens. I'll see if the video lesson helps to explain what I'm doing wrong.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had no idea there was so much math involved in poker. I know a guy whose strong suit in high school was football, girls, anything but math. Yet I'm told he's the one to beat in the local game. Hope to learn enough here to put him to the test.

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow. just finished 3 and 4. Best explanation of equity and range that I have ever hear. So easy to follow and understand. Thank you so much.

M1n1GuN777

M1n1GuN777

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Is it legal to use the equity calculator at pokerstars? Sorry if the question is off topic.