The Two Types of Equity (Day 4 Course Discussion)

A

AcesHighAGMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
So, I've always heard people talk in equity, which always kind of confused me as I hadn't really learned the way it transitioned to poker. This lesson, as all of them before it, are REALLY teaching me a lot. I'm really impressed they are teaching so much. I've managed to win a few freerolls already thanks to the lessons.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
On Day 4 Collin discusses the various types of equity.

If you have not yet read Day 4 and watched the video for Day 4 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it. Don't forget to take the quiz at the end of the video!:

The Two Types of Equity

This is the simplest and easiest to understand breakdown of equity that I have ever seen. Collin and Katie will be happy to explain this further and answer your questions in this thread.

ffaa39b3630b07c62c42c2d61546a75c.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
Achei essa aula difícil de entender. Preciso estudar mais sobre isso.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
great explanation about equity, I really need to understand about %, I liked the house/bank example

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Two questions Colli and Katie to see if I understood this topic that is a bit difficult for me, because as you say, on TV it is easy to see it but at the table it is quite difficult to achieve it, even more so for players like one who is not very used to these calculations

1st I am going to give an example of a hand that knows how to give me a lot of returns, taking into account, let's say, a semi-bluff. the situation is this
Hero 90 BB in CO :as4::js4: raise 3bet
Villain 70 BB into BB call :qs4::10s4:s

(Here, by only paying the villain, I must assume that my equity range is higher than the preflop right?)

Pot 7 BBs

Flop :ks4::7c4::2s4:
hero 3bet
villain call

Pot 13 BBs

Turn :4h4:

Hero 6 Beth
villain call

25 BB pot
River :2d4:

Hero 25 BB
villain fold

Why am I giving this example? In truth, I always like to play suites with Aces because logically it gives me a great chance of achieving a nut. But I see that many players go to the hands to play with minor suites and wait for the miracle to fall on the turn or river.
Although the miracle of the color does not exist neither for hero nor for the villain, the question is: Is it worth remaining aggressive in search of the possible nut, putting the villain in the situation that the hero can even have a top pair of K? ??? In other words, to maintain that possible equity of 100% on the river is it worth following it in this situation??? or is it preferable to check the river and wait for the villain to take action???

2nd Is it possible to take the fairness of the game that the villains are doing at the table??? For example, in relation to taking 10 hands and seeing how many folds they make??? How many times do they act aggressive in BN??? or how many times do they play aggressive in another position??? This question is formulated for the use, for example, of the relative position that was explained in lesson 1, that is, if you have AA in MP, for example, and you know that in that hand you have a player who always 3Bet in BN, you can make a call is preflop and then on the flop check and wait for villain's action and then hero act accordingly.

Hope it's understandable. In truth, it is costing me a lot to understand this equity thing, but I try to put a lot of effort into it. I hope I make it

Greetings guys;););)

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was watching this and the stuff in the download and all I could think of was the old saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
While we are involved in a hand we have no birds in hand and we are trying to figure out how many are in the bush.
From my point of view, I don't know how many birds are in the bush, I just want all of them.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Equity, fundamental in poker, from it you calculate whether to bet or not, if you bet, the size of the bet, with the same equity you decide whether to call a bet or not, or rather, raise, deserves Collin class, thank you!

04/30.

CollYan

CollYan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My training is like white and black stripes. Sometimes I feel like I've figured it all out and sometimes I'm completely confused. Is it supposed to be this way or am I doing something wrong?

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
8.8%
Diamond on the river could give him some fold equity

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Hello! I would write this post for those who don't read the tutorial, but look at the forum comments. I only write the most important things, which are the lessons of the tutorial chapter!

Chapter 4
(The Two Types Of Equity)

In this chapter, it is about how we use our own capital for raises, based on the conscious - realistic strength of our own hand. Of course, this ratio changes a lot as soon as we see the flop and also due to the following cards (Turn, River).....

subluchuk

subluchuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Fold equity in tournaments is greater than in cash games and it increases with relative stack sizes. Great tool once you get the concept.
Especially in Tournaments Fold Equity is a very useful factor.Unless you re up against who dont know what s going on

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I never really thought about using a software while playing poker...for a simple reason...I like to to the math myself...However, after this lesson I understand that some players do it...and because of it I might be at a disadvantage...so, welcome Equilab. And one more thing: I just fell in love with fold equity.

Nandabio81

Nandabio81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
The game's strategy changes with each hand played. My equity in a tournament will increase as your stack size increases, or as players are eliminated, and it becomes more likely that you will move up the player rankings and the payscale.

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Questions and answers about the equity lesson video:

1) What is Killdonk equity in percentage terms and what percent equity does he have? Is 8.8%

2) What is his equity in chips? 46 o 47 chips

3) if I siad to you Killdonk has a lot of fold equity would you agree with me?
I don't really agree with this, since it is difficult for a player with Top Kicker on the Flop to Fold.
I would have to know how loose KillDonk is to fold cards if he is pushed all in and has a top kicker on a flop with draws. If he's able to call a 3bet with K-9o I think he's capable of calling a shove with top kicker on the flop.

4) If Killdonk bets and Ralph folds then how much equity would Killdonk gain in chips?
If Killdonk pushes all in and Ralph folds, the percentage of equity Killdonk wins in chips is the difference between 100% and 8.8% he had on the flop, which represents a 91.2% equity gain.
Calculating, I would have that the pot is 531 chips - 47 chips (8.8%) = 484 profit chips.

Thanks you the course. ;)

Last edited:
pankoffff

pankoffff

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Very interesting and useful lesson! Thank you!

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, thanks for this topic is a little complicated but is interesting to know.

MikeDeez

MikeDeez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I’ve learned how to properly calculate the equity
Thanks Collin. This will improve my decision making skills.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 4 completed, understanding the basic concept that your equity can change throughout a hand is crucial for making appropriate strategic decisions in poker.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Day 4 done, very usefull information about equity and very good explained by Collin! thanks man

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Yes, the calculation is a bit complicated 😃