Throwing away AA

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the situations was at a live game I would factor in my position, amount of chips on hand, opponents’ stack sizes etc and then based on all the information available to me I would make a decision but here is the funny thing: if this scenario was online, I would fold instantly regardless of anything else because almost always when I am dealt a decent hand online it seems to magically coincide with a few other players having good hole cards too creating an action induced pot and then along comes a player with say hole cards like 7 2 off suite and goes all in and ends up winning the pot with a full house.

Scottk87

Scottk87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s hard to do, and I know I should be a fold, but for whatever reason I always, I always seem to make the wrong choice, and get burned lol

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm telling you straight away, no ocasions, when I get AA, I always play all-in preflop. That's what I'm thinking: everything's nothing.

M

mr_zofa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I'm newbie here if it isn't difficult for you give some advises what i should do here ?thanks

andrew0211

andrew0211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad news fo AA, but i never fold this hand!

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not a bad question. I do agree with you that I would like more description of the specific situation...however, the main point is that your premium hole cards lose their power with more people in the pot and after the flop, certainly the percentages go down.

The level of questions that are submitted to this forum generally vary quite a bit. Thus I am open to a great deal of different levels of what people are thinking about when they are considering a decision about a poker hand. I would expect that this player will be thinking about a wider range of factors when making this decision after a bit more experience and would be making a more specific post at that time.

The spirit of this CardsChat forum would be to refrain from using words like "stupidity" in response to any question - "There are no stupid questions" - and we do not want to discourage anyone from posting - especially - when they are in the beginning stages of playing poker.

Please in the future - consider that this is a forum with members who have varied levels of ability. If you feel the question is incomplete - ask politely for more information so that you can provide a constructive opinion and be supportive in the future.

We are all here to learn and have fun, Thank You.
I am the originator of this question and first I wish to state that I appreciate your comments, but please do not get confused about my level of poker experience, I have been playing poker regularly for roughly the past 14 years.
The question that was posted on this forum was meant to be a [what if scenario]

What would you do while playing online with a pair of A’s and you somehow managed to drag along three other opponents who were able to then to see a flop.

I was curious to see how many of the responses would [NEVER let go of their A’s] even though the odds of those A’s still being the best hand would probably be gone.

I have witnessed similar situations so many times over the years playing online, while not as extreme as the situation I presented; they were close enough to pose this question.

While many of you understood the probability of those A’s no longer being the best hand, I was not surprised by those who would never let them go.

This forum is just a reflection of the real world, which is played out every single day in real life…. lol

Thanks to everyone who participated in this [What if scenario].

Last edited:
B

BoberDobro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! :) Most often, AA wins most of the hands. practice shows that victory takes place more often. It's profitable. My opinion.
there were many cases when the lowest cards won. Of course, circumstances are still important.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the originator of this question and first I wish to state that I appreciate your comments, but please do not get confused about my level of poker experience, I have been playing poker regularly for roughly the past 14 years.
The question that was posted on this forum was meant to be a [what if scenario]

What would you do while playing online with a pair of A’s and you somehow managed to drag along three other opponents who were able to then to see a flop.

I was curious to see how many of the responses would [NEVER let go of their A’s] even though the odds of those A’s still being the best hand would probably be gone.

I have witnessed similar situations so many times over the years playing online, while not as extreme as the situation I presented; they were close enough to pose this question.

While many of you understood the probability of those A’s no longer being the best hand, I was not surprised by those who would never let them go.

This forum is just a reflection of the real world, which is played out every single day in real life…. lol

Thanks to everyone who participated in this [What if scenario].

Sorry if I made an assumption, I shouldn't do that. This summary is nice. Good luck at the tables.

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, it's necessary to drop everything before the flop and everything will come. Well of course aces will not always win.

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that's a fold, if the game is serious (the players are not always all-in players, who play like a joke). Also depends on the pre-flop bets, to guess what cards they could have. If they entered the flop cheap, they could have everything. 2 small pairs beats AA :)

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation, with three active players - it will be correct to make a fold AA

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s not an easy decision but sometimes you need to fold an AA pos flop. Hard to do it but necessary sometimes.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes fold AA after the flop because the card is not in my favor, and so most of the AA is playing normally just all-in!

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I can not reset AA. And probably this is my mistake.

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as a rule, I do not discard such cards and make a call but once or twice I threw off such cards because I knew one hundred percent that the enemy has the best combination

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the flop, of course you can.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are too many factors to consider. If this is a free roll and early in the tournament, then I would likely call.

If this is early in a tournament that I can afford to rebuy in, I might take the flip if I dont have any information on the players and if the flop is right. If the board is really connected, or there are two of the same suit, I might consider folding (but might call).

If this is an expensive buyin that I cannot easily rebuy into, or if its already too late in the tournament, I would probably fold (if im not pot commited).

SprMnd

SprMnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In such situation folding just a pair of aces is standard move. Moreover, I can make easy folds with top pair or pocket overpair on dangerous flop when my opponent goes all in. Remember, your pair of aces can be your doom for you. Every single starting hand can lose or win, but some have more chances and some have less. It is just chances, not a fact of victory or lost.

BigRedRooster

BigRedRooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I play this wrong? I was dealt AA on the button, I raised 3x the pot. The flop gave 9 10 A. Three players folded leaving me v. villain. He raise 1x pot and I duly raise 2x pot, he called. The turn gave us a J. I know if he holds KQ or 78 connectors I'm screwed. He checked I raised only 2x pot (should I have been more aggressive here to weed him out or scare him?) he called and the river gave us a seven. He checked. I went all in. (he was chip heavy, I was chip light - tournament game) he called. He had the 8 and did a number on my AAA.

Any advice would help. As I say I'm a newbie to the game and I can see some errors. But how would more experienced players have played this in the same position. Should I have just gone all in earlier? Say on the flop when I saw a 9 10 connector flopped.

Cheers

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I play this wrong? I was dealt AA on the button, I raised 3x the pot. The flop gave 9 10 A. Three players folded leaving me v. villain. He raise 1x pot and I duly raise 2x pot, he called. The turn gave us a J. I know if he holds KQ or 78 connectors I'm screwed. He checked I raised only 2x pot (should I have been more aggressive here to weed him out or scare him?) he called and the river gave us a seven. He checked. I went all in. (he was chip heavy, I was chip light - tournament game) he called. He had the 8 and did a number on my AAA.

Any advice would help. As I say I'm a newbie to the game and I can see some errors. But how would more experienced players have played this in the same position. Should I have just gone all in earlier? Say on the flop when I saw a 9 10 connector flopped.

Cheers
Playing online given your specific situation and your opponents holding cards, the only way you may have escaped would have been to shove all-in preflop. Not much profit if he folds, only the blinds and his initial raise.

While I would never consider doing such a donk move if only two of us were making decisions in playing that hand, once your opponent was able to see the flop, he had just too many outs in his mind to make his straight and less likely Quads [11] total, four 6’s, four J’s and three 8’s.
So the chance of most online players and probably a fair amount of regular players folding was extremely slim after that specific flop [9,10,A] with exactly those holding cards of 7,8

Your mistake was shoving allin on the river, you needed to ask yourself, what the heck could he have been holding with a flop like that, you could of placed a strong possibility he was fishing for a straight, which then could of slowed you down hopefully ………. lol

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I throw away AA all the time, especially in 2-7 triple draw and badeucey.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
probably never pre flop but i'd consider it after.

MadMurkin

MadMurkin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u play on ACR, AA is automatic fold PRE flop when a late entry is allin on his/her first hand.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Throwing away AA can be tough, but in the scenario you just described , not so much. 3 players in is not good for your hand, and if they're shoving post flop you are probably beat.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To much action will make you fold even higher cards. Straights against flush. Flush against possible full and so on. Folding is a must in this game.