Should You C-Bet? (Day 8 Course Discussion)

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's okay but in the end if I risk my stack and with that I could go back at the table and in my position it is really a risk

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think it's that simple to decide whether or not to C-Bet. Especially in online poker. You have many variants to watch before deciding: What is the type of game, how is your stack. What kind of behavior the other players at the table are having. How is the stack against whom you are going to play in that hand?
Poker changed when it went online.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After several days without seeing the course and with a brief review, I reached day 8 and these were my answers to the quiz, which I missed on day 7:)
In the first spot, with A3s, I would check because the flop is very coordinated, with flush and straight draws that decrease our fold equity, and we have an ace high with a certain showdown value.
On the second spot, with 98o, I would cbet because it should be our default game and the flop is relatively dry, with few draws and we have a gutshot.
After listening to the responses I see that in the first spot I overlooked the fact that I was facing 3 opponents.

See you on day 9!

Great progress on the course, way to go! :)

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

Good lesson, good video in general and also examples of when to continue betting and when not to continue betting. :ciao:

Thanks for the material, regards :knuddel:

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understanding the difference between different bid goals is very simple. The whole difficulty lies in the fact to be able to correctly distinguish bet as a bluff and betting for value. I think it will become much easier with experience, so the sooner I practice, the better.
I am glad that I correctly answered the questions asked in this lesson, so my previous lessons are not in vain. See you in the next lesson. Good luck!!

Life is a game , play beautiful

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understanding the difference between different bid goals is very simple. The whole difficulty lies in the fact to be able to correctly distinguish bet as a bluff and betting for value. I think it will become much easier with experience, so the sooner I practice, the better.
I am glad that I correctly answered the questions asked in this lesson, so my previous lessons are not in vain. See you in the next lesson. Good luck!!

Life is a game , play beautiful

Great job answering the quiz questions correctly! Sounds like you’re progressing through the course very nicely [emoji106]

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Natural born c-better

Wow, amazing class, I'm actually used to this concept, but they give some really nice examples and commentaries. And, beside that, I liked it very much the tip for not having some kind of "square" game, you just play each hand by it's context, and not by some rules you "learned" going down this road.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, amazing class, I'm actually used to this concept, but they give some really nice examples and commentaries. And, beside that, I liked it very much the tip for not having some kind of "square" game, you just play each hand by it's context, and not by some rules you "learned" going down this road.

That’s really great to hear, we appreciate it—thank you Phyrrura! :)

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here and back again

I had pass trough this, but it's so good of a class that I feel the need to come back and check again... Amazing course Kolie and Katie, thansk a lot!

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to my PokerTracker analysis, I C-Bet too often, so obviously I would say yes.

- Always C-Bet in position with one (or maybe two) opponents.
- Never C-Bet out of position with more than one opponent.
- Sometime C-Bet out of position with only one opponent.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had pass trough this, but it's so good of a class that I feel the need to come back and check again... Amazing course Kolie and Katie, thansk a lot!

Thanks very much, we’re glad to hear it! :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to my PokerTracker analysis, I C-Bet too often, so obviously I would say yes.

While the "always" and "never" are too strong, I think what you write here is a nice guideline that works a lot of the time!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I try to cbet , with one opponet and on dry board with K or A it's easier , ofcourse it depends on the villain , if there 're more villains I will not c-bet without sth to be able to catch on later streets , especially oop , if it's a family pot with 6 or 7 players like in CC freerolls , lol , then mission failed and return to HQ , lol . I have to learn a lot more , so I will improve to even more dificult circumstances of c-beting , with or without bluffing or semi-bluffing (I guess :)) . Good luck everyone .

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I c-bet quite often.
-If my hand is really hard to improve, but the flop hits my range
-If I have top pair decent kicker
When I hit the nuts or close to it I mix between check and c-bet, if I have a good draw the same think. All in all I definetly c-bet more than checking.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you're playing zoom poker and won't face the same opponents often you can consider that, otherwise you get to predictable and will face a lot of reraises, people will slowplay their good hands with you and let you bluff and may reraise even worse hands than yours because they know you're c'betting with any 2 cards.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're playing zoom poker and won't face the same opponents often you can consider that, otherwise you get to predictable and will face a lot of reraises, people will slowplay their good hands with you and let you bluff and may reraise even worse hands than yours because they know you're c'betting with any 2 cards.

This is a very good point. A lot of static strategies work well in a vacuum but allow observant opponents to play well against you. So you can use them in large player pools or formats like lower-stakes Zoom, but not as much against tough opposition.

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very good point. A lot of static strategies work well in a vacuum but allow observant opponents to play well against you. So you can use them in large player pools or formats like lower-stakes Zoom, but not as much against tough opposition.

Day 8 completed.
I see only 3 categories when we shouldn't play contbet. Whats about type of opponents?
If we play vs maniaks and they play very aggresively with each cards should we cbet?

P

P1R35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Collin,
What's your thoughts on cbet sizings? How you approach it ? You use this basic approach : big on wet board, small on dry flop guideline ?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 8 completed.
I see only 3 categories when we shouldn't play contbet. Whats about type of opponents?
If we play vs maniaks and they play very aggresively with each cards should we cbet?

Good question.

Against maniacs, you should c-bet less often. If you miss, be more inclined to give up unless the flop is dry and they sometimes fold. If you connect and your hand isn't vulnerable, then be more inclined to check to them if you're out of position.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Collin,
What's your thoughts on cbet sizings? How you approach it ? You use this basic approach : big on wet board, small on dry flop guideline ?

Yup! There are absolutely good times to change this rule. But as a default guideline:

** Around 1/2 pot c-bet size is good starting point

** Smaller on dry flops

** Bigger on coordinated flops

P

P1R35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any difference if we are In position vs Out of position ?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any difference if we are In position vs Out of position ?

Good question, there can definitely be differences depending on the specific spot. For example, suppose we have a marginal draw vs an aggressive player. We're probably more inclined to check back with position because we're guaranteed a free card, whereas OOP we bet because we don't want to give him the opportunity to take control of the pot.

P

P1R35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking that being OOP indicated that we will Cbet with different sizings compared to IP.

Like if we Cbet more polarized OOP our sizing should be bigger in general (even in dry texture).