Should You C-Bet? (Day 8 Course Discussion)

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So when you have a strong made hand say top pair top kicker, but the board is wet with a lot of draws isn’t it right to cbet on the higher side closer to 3/4 or full pot to charge your opponent for seeing another card? That way if they pay too big a price to see their card they are making a mistake. You want to play a game that leads your opponents to make mistakes, right? They are not getting the right odds to call but they call with there draw anyway. Is that an ok way to think about it?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So when you have a strong made hand say top pair top kicker, but the board is wet with a lot of draws isn’t it right to cbet on the higher side closer to 3/4 or full pot to charge your opponent for seeing another card? That way if they pay too big a price to see their card they are making a mistake. You want to play a game that leads your opponents to make mistakes, right? They are not getting the right odds to call but they call with there draw anyway. Is that an ok way to think about it?

In general, that is a great way to think about it--nice work! :)

A couple of common caveats I'd like to mention that will come up to complicate that is firstly, a board so wet that there are many made hands that already have you beat (instead of simply a draw-heavy flop). Another key consideration is making sure to balance your bet sizing when playing against regs/people you play against frequently as to avoid being exploited by bet-sizing tells.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most powerful sentence for me: “If you are not sure what is right
the game is there, then you have to bet
instead of checking. " I realized that if I doubt, the opponent also doubts, and cbet works well. Now I look at the wet board and sometimes I win a small pot when cbet works, and lose a lot when cbet fails works. Now it's more obvious. Thanks Colin and Katie.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Now, i think im cbetting too much
Thanks need to improve

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most powerful sentence for me: “If you are not sure what is right
the game is there, then you have to bet
instead of checking. " I realized that if I doubt, the opponent also doubts, and cbet works well. Now I look at the wet board and sometimes I win a small pot when cbet works, and lose a lot when cbet fails works. Now it's more obvious. Thanks Colin and Katie.
So glad to hear that this section helped you think more critically about the best times to c-bet :)
Now, i think im cbetting too much
Thanks need to improve
The hardest part about fixing a leak is identifying it--way to go! :)

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Thanks Coach Katie, really appreciate the video

Last edited:
king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Thanks for this lesson, I have learned how to improve c-bet, before I kept doing it regardless of the board but now I have learned that I should not do it if a wet hand appears on the flop or if many players call the flop unless my hand connect well and be the strongest hand.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Coach Katie, really appreciate the video
Great, glad to hear you liked it! :)

Thanks for this lesson, I have learned how to improve c-bet, before I kept doing it regardless of the board but now I have learned that I should not do it if a wet hand appears on the flop or if many players call the flop unless my hand connect well and be the strongest hand.
Awesome, well done!

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
After watching this lesson i increased my cbet actions and I must say that this worked fine. The way you analyse the board texture to make this decision is a a very good approach. Thanks!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After watching this lesson i increased my cbet actions and I must say that this worked fine. The way you analyse the board texture to make this decision is a a very good approach. Thanks!

Awesome, way to go! :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
C-betting is a nice tool, for a stable and reliable play. Sometimes the river shows a disaster! Generally c-bet is a good way to win a pot easy!

H

hanio75

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, Collin, how is cool, in this class I was able to understand when I should apply the action cbet.
When there is a possibility of improving the hand and the opponents have signaled that they have not hited the flop;
Don' t beting cbet on the wet post flop because villains can to get a better hand than low pairs;
Don't beting when there are more than four players;
Don't apply cbet if I don't want to continue applying check-raise;
And if the villain checks, I should only continue if the hand's mine of the game can improve, otherwise it is better to fold.
If I am wrong, give directions to me. I apologize for my English. I've been looking to improve too. Thank you Cardschat team.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I allmost allways c bet. As half the time you win the hand outright without oposition. I dont c bet usually if I flop a monster, as I want to induce bluffs or draw some money into the pot.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Collin, how is cool, in this class I was able to understand when I should apply the action cbet.
When there is a possibility of improving the hand and the opponents have signaled that they have not hited the flop;
Don' t beting cbet on the wet post flop because villains can to get a better hand than low pairs;
Don't beting when there are more than four players;
Don't apply cbet if I don't want to continue applying check-raise;
And if the villain checks, I should only continue if the hand's mine of the game can improve, otherwise it is better to fold.
If I am wrong, give directions to me. I apologize for my English. I've been looking to improve too. Thank you Cardschat team.
This sounds like you have a great understanding of some of the key considerations when it comes to c-betting, well done! :)

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps one more factor to consider before c betting. Is our read on the opponent we have. I see it was only mentioned at the end but i think its also as important as coordinated boards, number of opponents and even our image. If we know that the table has good players that pickup we are capable of c betting they can float us.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we know that the table has good players that pickup we are capable of c betting they can float us.

This is true, and HUD-data are also usefull. If someone dont like to fold to C-bets, then we should not do a lot of light "one-and-done" C-betting against them. Instead we should look to either check the flop or be ready to fire the second barrel on the turn, if they fold a lot there.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reads and stats are important, I agree, particularly in heads-up pots where it's otherwise close. It's a good point too that Fundiver makes in his post -- if a player has a low fold to c-bet, that sometimes means they're giving up a lot on the late streets and you should still c-bet so long as the plan is to continue barreling.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Of course. I've won alot of pots with the c-bet and I feel it's because your opponent did not connect on the flop or street.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Unfortunate but pray for the best. Seen a lot of him on tv and is always professional as a commentator and poker player.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Not afraid but don't like them sitting to my immediate left. I enjoy the competition beating them in a hand and learning their play. It's kinda cool.

U

userme4321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 C-beat single opponent, unlikely to have connected, dry flop, weak hand good to follow through
2 No C-beat too many players, won't get enough folds. I would have called connecting with the A on the river.
I'm learning, gonna practice C-beating and go more often with weaker hands while checking on more prime ones...

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 C-beat single opponent, unlikely to have connected, dry flop, weak hand good to follow through
2 No C-beat too many players, won't get enough folds. I would have called connecting with the A on the river.
I'm learning, gonna practice C-beating and go more often with weaker hands while checking on more prime ones...

Great job on answering these questions and all the thought you’re putting into c-betting! :)

C

CMack3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 8 C - Bet

Thank you, more good stuff.
Very good guidelines on C - betting. As explained, these are not written in stone and if you have reads on players, table image etc., etc., you can deviate OCCASIONALLY. However, having a strong framework for C - betting as you have detailed makes you that much tougher to play against and therefore, a better player.
On the flip side, I will be watching my opponents closer in regards to their C - betting range. I think this will tell me a lot about their game. Example, if they constantly bomb a C - bet regardless of the situation, this may tell me they are weak aggressive, which is exploitable and likely leads to other ares of their game. If a players follows a guideline as taught here, this may be telling me they are a thinking player, solid even good which also should lead to other aspect of their game, which will have to be considered for play against them.
Peace!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you, more good stuff.
Very good guidelines on C - betting. As explained, these are not written in stone and if you have reads on players, table image etc., etc., you can deviate OCCASIONALLY. However, having a strong framework for C - betting as you have detailed makes you that much tougher to play against and therefore, a better player.
On the flip side, I will be watching my opponents closer in regards to their C - betting range. I think this will tell me a lot about their game. Example, if they constantly bomb a C - bet regardless of the situation, this may tell me they are weak aggressive, which is exploitable and likely leads to other ares of their game. If a players follows a guideline as taught here, this may be telling me they are a thinking player, solid even good which also should lead to other aspect of their game, which will have to be considered for play against them.
Peace!

That’s a good point about using another’s c-bet frequency in order to tell you a lot about how they’re playing in general! :)

BigDice75

BigDice75

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After several days without seeing the course and with a brief review, I reached day 8 and these were my answers to the quiz, which I missed on day 7:)
In the first spot, with A3s, I would check because the flop is very coordinated, with flush and straight draws that decrease our fold equity, and we have an ace high with a certain showdown value.
On the second spot, with 98o, I would cbet because it should be our default game and the flop is relatively dry, with few draws and we have a gutshot.
After listening to the responses I see that in the first spot I overlooked the fact that I was facing 3 opponents.

See you on day 9!

Last edited: