Should You C-Bet? (Day 8 Course Discussion)

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was doing just the oposite when I was in doubt, used to always check. Help me a lot the examples to dont c-bet and "Don’t c-bet if you really don’t want to get check-raised" will save me many chips.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Gulp. I have a bad habit of c-betting so I do not look weak. Good to have this lesson on instances when it may not make sense to c-bet.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I prefer to play a delayed C-bet if I hit big on the flop, which gives my opponent a chance to hit something on the Turn and might come along if he is trying to make a flush or straight, but you have to be wary of him making a hand which could beat you, for example hitting trips on the flop is great but if a flush or straight draw comes on the turn you could be inviting trouble.
Each situation has to be evaluated dependent on how big your hand is and flopping a full house with A/K suited is not going to get you any action if you bet straight out on the flop, but they may call a bet if a Queen or Jack hits the turn and they are playing J/10 or Q/10 and make a straight.
Another example is I once played K/10 suited and hit a flush on the flop, I did make a continuation bet on the flop because I was worried if someone held the Ace I could lose the pot if another same suited card hit the table, The Turn gave us a different suit so I bet out again, but a 4th suited card hit the River and as I had 2 callers from the previous bets I knew I was in trouble, I made a larger bet on the River but was immediately shoved on by the next player, the other player called and I was forced to let my King flush go.
I folded and the other players cards were turned over, sure enough the 1st player all-in had the bare Ace of my suit and he won taking the other player out, I was spot on with my read and would have them both beaten on the flop and turn, but the river card crushed me, luckily I was able to recoup my losses from that hand and went on to finally win the game.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good that you had the discipline to fold your flopped King hi flush when the river dealt the 4th suited card that can allow someone to take all your chips.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
C-bets should be applied carefully. This bet sets the pace of distribution. The main thing is not to overdo it, otherwise you can jump out of your pants. lol

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 8 C-Bets

Best advice I liked was talking about Cbets when you monopolize a flop and not to Cbet when you have a hand that might have showdown value. The review questions were straight forward which I always like. I really don't like nitpicking stuff just go over the basics and that's what Collin did to reinforce the lessons. Overall, I gathered when in doubt CBet but you have to do with it with care when you have a hand with showdown value and you have to pay attention to how a flop hits your opponent's range. And that Cbets are an important weapon in winning equity since opponents will miss the flop most of the time.

ebook
From the ebook I gathered, you should Cbet when the board isn't coordinated or "wet" because your opponent usually will not hit the board on a non coordinated board like the T33 example in the book. But with a wet board then they might hit the board or at least have powerful draws so it might not be a good idea to go with the CBet.

Other thing to watch out with Cbets is the more people in a hand then the less likely a Cbet will go through all of them to take down a pot so be careful with that situation.

Another example in the ebook concerning Cbets is a warning against doing a CBet when you don't want to be check raised and might have to give up a pot when you actually might have some showdown value so a Cbet might not be the best option.
Basically the ebook has the same stuff in the vid.

Another good lesson with good info.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This tactic should be used carefully, not when you first sit down at the table, but after you have studied your opponents a little bit.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to do the same thing every time even if you completely miss. You could pare it down 50-75% of the time. At least that works for me. It's all about trying to getting information. A C bet could induce a raise, fold, etc ... Sometimes you have to pay for that info.

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another great video as always. It just leaves me with one question: I like to c-bet when i have a range advantage on certain boards. But let's say i loosen up and open 7d6d UTG on an 8-max table. Only the BB defends and the flop comes 7s6c2h - this would be normally a board i would check my range UTG vs BB. So should i check my 2 pair or should i try start building a pot? We do have monopolize the flop in the way of pairs, but there still are straight draws. So do we x do give the opponent to bluff turn and river or try to c-bet and hope for a x/r from the bb?

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 8...22 to go

To this topic I can really find myself in it. Watching this video I see that I c-bet to much. In many hands no matter what opponents or how many i have at the table i go and C-bet sometimes i even try to bet the turn and river just so i can make my opponent fold. I should try to balance my flop c-bet, and learn that i have a Check button too.
I will watch this video again, it has a lot of interesting examples.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first quizz question I would in fact check while playing, because multiway pot, and just a high. But when we think about it, it's not totally a multi way, check raising there isn't good: having J or K would be preferable to c bet for villain 1 and 2 (maybe not the J) So c betting may convince to fold the lower pair. If villain 3 calls - reraises, we may be in trouble in fact. The call would give us the turn to see, we still have potential to out draw, so a c bet of 1/3 pot may give us the odds if I'm not wrong. If you have a feedback in my thinking process I would be happy, because in fact I have the intuition that folding might still be better, but can't find arguments.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really liked this lesson. Everything made sense. I particularly liked the discussion about how your play would vary depending on whether your opponent is recreational or reg. That made me wonder though. Are Cardschat players recreational or reg?

I've noticed that the Collin has suggested a number of times during this course that calling bets with gutshot draws is the correct play. This kind of surprises me since the odds of winning with a gutshot are pretty low if I understand correctly. I'll be looking for some specific examples of this in future lessons.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Thank you for this video, it's an important lesson.

The quiz answers :

1. I check my A3d because there are 3 players in this spot and the flop is coordinated. There is a probability that an opponent has a straight draw, a flush draw or other hands like a king.

2. With 98o it's correct to C-bet in this spot because there is only one opponent who checks a dry flop, and I also have a straight draw.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Should You C-Bet is a question we all ask ourselves in every game or session we play.

If you have not yet read Day 8 and watched the video for Day 8 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it:

Should You C-Bet

Collin refers to c-betting as the easiest way to win a pot.But there are times we need to refrain and he walks us through these situations.

Answer the questions at the end of the course and take the quiz. Let's discuss c-betting in this thread and Collin and Katie will be joining us to answer your questions.

9c8952844292f6bd4e1368ef211f4347.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
I confess that I get apprehensive when I c-bet on very connected boards. So, I'm not sure what size I should do in this kind of situation.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi fellow CCers,

C-Betting is an area that I am trying to get the hang of and glad that it is addressed in the book in a way that makes sense. The other side is application and I hope my understanding is reflected. Either way, the feedback from discussion will be great and is welcomed.

I am really glad when my c-bet works and sometimes have to give up when checked raised or villain takes the initiative away from me on later streets. However, C-betting still remains an interesting area to navigate as no poker player wants to keep donating money to villains.

Response to video question:

Hand 1:

I would not C-bet since there are so many opponents in the hand. The chance of one of them connecting or having a strong draw is huge. Anyone with two spades, 9T, AQ, AT, Kx, Jx and the like has reason to stay in the hand. To apply one of the things mentioned earlier, "I have zero fold equity" in this spot.

Hand 2:

I would C-bet this hand since it is somewhat dry rainbow type and very likely that villain will give up on the hand if he did not connect. My hand can fall into a semi-bluff category, with the inside straight draw and can improve. Although I do not intend on firing a bet on each street, I will take one stab at a C-bet and check it down there after, probably calling min bets from villain if he takes the initiative.

Nice tough everyday spots in the example. Fingers crossed now and let us hear what the video and masses have to say.

By the way, so far I have made two final tables 6th and 8th, won one 990 .01 S&G and made it in the money a few times. My deep finishes have definitely improved. Unfortunately, my successes in the CC freeroll has not improved much but I intend to change that. In my defense, my aggression has met up with some incredible luck for villain. I take that as my downswing and look forward to my rocketing to the top.

Having lots of fun here guys. Kudos to you all!
Good remarks. I'm going to use your line of reasoning.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really enjoyed this lesson. It all made sense. I particularly enjoyed the discussion about how your game varies depending on whether your opponent is recreational or regular. That got me thinking though. Are Cardschat players recreational or regular?

I noticed that Collin suggested several times during this course that settling bets with gutshot draws is the correct move. This kind of amazes me, since the odds of winning with a gutshot are very low if I understood correctly. I will be looking for some specific examples of this in future lessons.
I can say for myself that I am still recreational.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always had problems with c-betting, I bet wrong and I folded the flop even more wrong and in the tunr or river my cards came, in this class on the 8th, I managed to analyze my mistakes and understand better

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me the advice in the written part of the lesson and the video examples totally contradicted each other.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
every day that passes I see that I know less about poker😅🤷🤦‍♂️

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Should You C-Bet is a question we all ask ourselves in every game or session we play.

If you have not yet read Day 8 and watched the video for Day 8 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it:

Should You C-Bet

Collin refers to c-betting as the easiest way to win a pot.But there are times we need to refrain and he walks us through these situations.

Answer the questions at the end of the course and take the quiz. Let's discuss c-betting in this thread and Collin and Katie will be joining us to answer your questions.

9c8952844292f6bd4e1368ef211f4347.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
Oh yeah, you should C-Bet. But know how and when to do it:
Should You C-Bet

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to tell you, but you’re almost never going to be in position as the preflop raiser.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
C-Bet, often by bluff, sometimes by value, also a fundamental concept.

08/30.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Thank you 🙏 I use to c bet all my pre flop raises.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned a new phrase "showdown value". It wasn't part of this lesson, but the concept of what we were doing made me realize that you are always thinking of opponents range and it can change depending on how he acts or reacts to what you do.
You have to be able to realize when you don't have a good hand but you have the best hand. That is the Holy Grail.