Obviously will help. But unfortunately not to me :(

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't understand anything. And moreover: I don't understand for what it is.
I remember I watched live stream where A2 tried to bluff KK on pre-flop by raising, re-raising. When KK went all in, one commentator (who's now a player) said that A2 could call, because he has pot odds. Of course, guide is not about pot odds but EV includes it.
I find EV useless since it doesn't help right card to come. Moreover: 40-60% successful players don't count it. They tell it in interviews. And logic: "I can loose, let's lose some more" doesn't impress me. But it helps to sell the books.

Last edited:
W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I expect in poker is to lose to a BS hand. I try time and again...…..get close - like last two tables close and some 23 off suit all in hand will beat my AK or A Ten or something. Its wild - can't help but think there's some kind of software being used to get ahead.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do have a math degree, so most of the math involved in poker is rather straightforward to me. On the other hand, as stated in the article, making these calculations on the fly is nearly impossible, unless you're the rain-man...
Most of the times I consider +EV moves and try to stay positive.
An example for a particular -EV move we often see in our CC games, especially free rolls: Blinds are 30/60, just second round, one player shoves 1500 from early position. He risks 1500 to win 90. Even if he gets called 1 out of 10 times and loses, this move is -EV.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is a maths subject and maths are one of the main factors in poker. As the game progresses the times for decision all-in or fold are more critical. EV is something we always have in mind while playing a poker game, so this analysis reveals the maths of it which is usefull to calculate and to decide our move each time.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting thread, although I avoid filling my head with numbers and statistics, I only calculate the basics between gains and losses, although it would be interesting to practice it, I think it would help a lot in the handling of your banrroll, in that article there are very useful tips

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the program StarsCaption (PartyCaption), it shows me how many outs and sweat odds I need to call. It saves my time

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
expected value is of much importance to poker decisions, just as it is in other walks of life. I find it incredible that many members here say that they do not have time to or do not see the importance of making important calculations when making decisions about how to play a hand. I would ask them to consider their decisions when they buy something! Do they just pay the asking price or do they consider whether it is too high and therefore do not make the purchase? Alternatively if its a good deal, they may well pay for it, to ensure they get the deal.

I guess there are players out there that are simply considering whether they have the best hand and betting on it....rather than considering the expected value and how that may make their decision different.

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to play with pleasure and do not wait.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I find mathematics extremely incredible in itself. Everything with abliction, that is, theories of Poker is not only for the game, but for all situations of life. EV is an extremely important concept, for someone who wants to build their poker career, you should study this concept in depth. Analyze and reanalyse your hands. Always wanting to see if in the long run the action is right soon profitable.

Excellent post, looking forward to more like this =)

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
EV as explained in this article seems like a more advanced conception of equity. This needs to be studied away from the table as too complex to do these calculations in game setting. Much easier to make decision based on equity (chance of winning based on number of outs) vs. pot odds. If pot odds are higher than equity you should continue. If not you should fold.

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
every day that passes, but I realize that I am a newbie and that there is much to study, the truth I did not understand much haha I think that to understand it I will need a teacher to explain everything in more detail.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t apply EV to my game because I don’t have a full grasp on the concept. It would take a lot of studying to fully understand and be able to implement properly and I just don’t have enough time to put the work in.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting stuff. This shows why it's so unfair to use poker tracker because with large enough hand history sample against particular player it can show exact ev to every situation automatically.

I am very afraid that you are right. It is unlikely that a regular player can keep in his head so many statistics on all villains in order to determine their range so accurately, for further accurate calculation of EV. And also to do these calculations for a few seconds of time, playing at several tables at the same time. Obviously, special software copes with this task faster and more accurately than people. And the program has no memory limit, it does not get tired, does not forget anything and does not confuse similar nicknames. This is the main reason why even a poorly tuned "poker bot" will play better than the average player. Sooner or later, it will either kill poker as a game for money, or force all poker rooms to take uncomfortable measures to totally limit the use of any additional programs.

But in any case, this is useful information, and you should understand the logic of such a calculation. Sometimes it can be used against a villain. If the calculation of EV shows him that it will be beneficial to call against my stronger hand - I will only be glad. :D

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Interesting, if we have the software is another tool that could help us make a better decision, whether it is worth or not to bet, especially in online poker

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
EV plays a huge roll in how I will play a certain hand based on the EV of a call or raise or fold ect. Taking player type into account, I will use ev calc to help me decide how I will play the hand.

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any poker literature there is this information. Mostly I only play freerolls, but I know basic poker math. In freerolls, I almost never calculate EV for sure. Because in the freerolls people have fun and I can avoid border decisions.

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a lot to figure and take in. I'm sure it becomes easier over time, but it is a lot to get as a beginner but likely necessary in long run if ever want to be really good plus probably a whole lot more math and statistics beyond this to know.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is coming from someone who thinks he considers this for every action, every hand, every day. I wanted the article to walk me through the math to further understand what I think I employ thousands of times a day. Great article, but it's a little difficult to follow.

I missed the title "Limit Hold 'Em" for the first example and kept thinking "who the hell bets 10 into a pot of 100 there?!?!". It may have been interesting to use the same scenario for a No Limit example (with a bigger bet).

Typo:

Typo

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do have a math degree,
making these calculations on the fly is nearly impossible, unless you're the rain-man...

I'd Love to Have rain Man With Me at The Tables lol...

Seriously "EV(bet) = P(X)amt(X) + P(Y)amt(Y) + P(Z)amt(Z)"

Having Read Through the EV Thread and Post I'll Seriously Have to Work Much Harder at Understanding it Well Enough to Gain Value From It...

As PsychoVas States Having a Math Degree would be an advantage but still doing those calculations on the fly would be strenuous...

Between Now And The April Challenge I'll DO Some Home Work and See How I Can Make this Article Benefit Me More...

tenor.gif

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the use of mathematics in poker is really amazing, but I can not do all this analysis during the dispute in the morning chance of winning, only calculate my chance of winning if I play 80%

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't go that far before making decision on the felt. Maybe I should.
It can help a lot if expecting value became a reflex.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Expected Value.

Very interesting article. This is the first time I have met the words "Expected Value" in connection with poker. It has started a lot of thoughts in my mind. I think i got the essence of the meaning of the words.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To EV or Not to EV

EV is a fascinating, mathematical formulation that has been something I have thought about and read about.

Although, factual, when I play, my poor mind can not do those calculations within a 45 sec trip that is divided into preflop, flop, turn and river segments, leaving me with less than 10 seconds a segment to perform magic.

Although a good study, outs, position, who's betting and their strategy, board reads and how much to bet; is there a few seconds left? Naw. Shucks.

If anyone out there has been able to include this in each and every hand along with evreything else to consider and in the short amount of time given, I would ove to know how they do it, really.

It is always good to read up on this. I appreciate the article and find it informative, statistical (which I love) and always for me a mind challenge.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Comment #1 - Understanding Expected Value

Here's the link.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...tanding-expected-value-in-423279/#post5112941

Here's a copy of my comment.
"To EV or Not to EV
EV is a fascinating, mathematical formulation that has been something I have thought about and read about.

Although, factual, when I play, my poor mind can not do those calculations within a 45 sec trip that is divided into preflop, flop, turn and river segments, leaving me with less than 10 seconds a segment to perform magic.

Although a good study, outs, position, who's betting and their strategy, board reads and how much to bet; is there a few seconds left? Naw. Shucks.

If anyone out there has been able to include this in each and every hand along with evreything else to consider and in the short amount of time given, I would ove to know how they do it, really.

It is always good to read up on this. I appreciate the article and find it informative, statistical (which I love) and always for me a mind challenge."

Dan'O