Poker Math: Understanding Expected Value in Online Poker

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the articles, after reading this article, a good article and valuable information! I will try to analyze my games.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Cardschat for such a good article with so much infos. I read it from the beginning to the end and frankly I knew these statements but it was worth rewesing for my memory .Frankly I think when we play poker we should rewise the poker foundamentals from time to time to be sure that we do it right while playing.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just can't understand the ev , so no success for me I suppose. I'll keep reading the posts here and maybe catch on

A

aboudogaO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is Expected Value (EV)?
In essence, “expected value” is a concept used to describe the average outcome of a given scenario that hinges on an uncertain probabilistic event.

We use expected value to determine if a move or play is the correct one by balancing risk versus what we get in return (the reward).

Is there an Expected Value formula?
Oh you bet. And we break it all down for you in our guide: Expected Value Explained: Understanding EV in Online Poker

We cover scenarios and formulas for limit and no-limit hold'em, as well as tips for applying EV in real-time poker situations.

Do you make it a practice to apply Expected Value to your game?
Actually i just play poker without calculating or dtrying to determine if my move is correct or not i gueess that s because i m still a beginner

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very interesting topic, and I am glad that it is provided for familiarization for the players of the club. The study and application of this mathematics in the game is necessary for all who truly want to achieve success in poker. I would even call it basic math in poker. Thanks for this article.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good'm practicing and simulating the EV is the black box of poker and demonstrating that it is a mind sport
Often we fail to use odds and calculate probabilities putting range of hands in oponene but the EV calculation helps us in all modes and all games estrtura

Tammy thank you for sharing such a tool

:jd4:mateuspoker

Y

yodaaathewise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Tammy,

Thank you for your post. It is very insightful.
I wanted to add the formula for calculating EV for any given situation is
(W%*$W) - (L%*$L)

My question is, how do you adjust your EV for bad run outs. For example, how can I factor in that i will have 0% equity in a situation approximately 10% of the time?

Example:
My hand has 41% equity to win.
There is a 10% chance that my equity drops down to zero on later streets.
When I calculate my EV it is a clear + EV spot. However, what happens to EV when there is a 10% chance I have 0% chance of winning?

I would like to factor this amount into my overall EV Value.

Thank you

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When your hand has 41% equity then the possible loss of equity on later streets is part of that 59%. As far as I understand, equity is calculated at distinct points where you have to make a decision. It can be re-calculated at every street as needed.