$$$ October Micro SNG Thread $$$

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing sng's less than a month ago my plan was to supplement my MTT's with sng's. I am thinking now the opposite may happen lol. Sng's may end of being my primary game. I feel like I have finally found something that I can work hard at becoming really good at.

this is exactly how i feel about SNGs. although i do want to move from 9 player ones to bigger ones in the future. but not until i feel i got a good base in the 9 mans. Collin's book was awesome! must read for any SNG player. i very excited you are doing well at these SNGs.

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so I've been visiting here for a while now but haven't posted in MONTHS. And then I came across this thread and I feel compelled to become active again. As a micro-SNG player I felt like I was part of a minority. Good to know I'm not alone :D

At PS I play 45 player $1.10 turbos. Occasionally I'll play in $2 90 and 180 player sngs. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for starting this thread!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so I've been visiting here for a while now but haven't posted in MONTHS. And then I came across this thread and I feel compelled to become active again. As a micro-SNG player I felt like I was part of a minority. Good to know I'm not alone :D

At PS I play 45 player $1.10 turbos. Occasionally I'll play in $2 90 and 180 player sngs. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for starting this thread!

Welcome to our thread! We make one every month to chat about sng's in.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, after about 9 hours of work I came home, sat down, and managed to take down a 2nd place to get out of the goose-egg streak. :)

6/13 itm is very good not mediocre lol!

The regular sngs are naturally streaky. Those turbos are rough, I can't image how streaky you'd be if you'd kept playing.

Thanks. :) Barely in the green is ok, what I was shooting for when I started the month, so I should be happy with the results thus far. I suppose once you reach a point again and again, such as the one I'm at, not horrible nor godlike, it's almost certain thinking you can do and want something better. I really think I need to find a strength and stick to it or get out.

I've tried a 180 turbo and a few HU here or there but can't get a feel for them. Mtts and 9-seater sngs is where I am at basically due to the current PS stagnant ring play and because of some past success streaking itm. Even though, I'm probably less than a break-even player lifetime at sngs.

I like the idea of mtt purely for the final table/top 5-6 payoff. Though I realize it might be too much to ask to dodge 3-4k of people in the $2 and $3 mtts and make it that far frequently, purely due to the the luck factor and type of player buying in, I think it is definitely do-able. I've adjusted somewhat but I'm setting a goal to read a few books, be more aggressive and final table within the next 4-6 months. Hopefully things will work out.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice, I didn't understand why you were playing turbos. Thought you hated those. I guess you are talking 9 player sngos, are you playing those to practice for final tables? I would have thought 45-360 player sngos would be more up your alley, possible good return without being super long.

I found out that the 3.30$ 90 player NLHE KO Sngs (turbo) suit me well.

- I don't know why (maybe because of the KO) but the fields are rather soft, funnily much softer than the 1.25$ 90 player or 2.25$ 90 player nonturbos.

Attachments

• ZZZ.jpg
    ZZZ.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 27
M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very nice graf, i've played once or twice in the knockout but have succumb to the poor play mentioned. Great fun though, not really rolled for them atm.

Keep it up!

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good job Graf!! I will move up in number of players eventually - but I think I will avoid the ko's and turbos lol.

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to our thread! We make one every month to chat about sng's in.

I appreciate it! I will contribute as much as I can.

I have enjoyed reading your posts about your recent coaching sessions. It is something I am considering in the future.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent Graf. :)

The weekend really rapes me. Considering Friday night as part of the weekend, which I of course do, ;) I went 1/6 ITM.

After grinding out a win recently I'm 8/17 in Oct., pulling myself away from the possibility of falling into the red and giving myself a bit of a cushion, which I'll probably need a nice one by the time Friday rolls around.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job Graf!! I will move up in number of players eventually - but I think I will avoid the ko's and turbos lol.

Excellent Graf. :)

Thank you - expect a lot of sucking in the early/mid stages here - if there's a gutshot or a any draw - be it runner/runner there's sure someone to call or even shove it.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've been doing well so far this month. i'm almost rolled for the $5.50s now. as of right now with my BRM system i can play 7 $5.50s with 1 $2.25 thrown in. i've almost played a total of 1k of the $2.25s and have a ROI% of i think 8% i'll have to check it on the other computer. but my HEM says i have a expected ROI% of 10% which i'm pretty happy with. the $5.50s are another story altogether. my ROI% is extremely low but over a very small sample hopefully i can play alot of them the rest of the month.

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
two days in a row now that I've played 3+ hours of poker a night. played pretty well tonight, but didn't run nearly as good as I did last night. thats 6+ hours of poker this week, and maybe 2 hrs on my huge research project due thursday... oh well, I like to procrastinate... its now 4:30am and I cant get to sleep and I'm starving, so I'm just gonna go to the waffle house, hope I don't get mugged. :(

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play a lot of sng's so I normally don't post in this thread.
I find Dakota's posts about her coaching sessions interesting so I will be peaking in here to follow those.
Keep the info flowing Dakota & best of luck!

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I looked up Moshmans SitnGo strategy on amazon late last week. It cost me an extra $10 for shipping and that made it still a little cheaper than the ones that I could find in Aussie so I ordered it. I get a email today saying yourorder has been shipped it will be there on 14 November!! So I gotta wait a whole month for it :(

Anyway on to my progress for the month. I downloaded the HEM trial on the first of the month and it expired today. Since then I have played 70 sitngos and Im about $15 up from where I started so it is slow going but I think I am getting there now. I tried playing 3 tables at a time but found myself losing more than winning. I am now playing two tables very comfortably so I think ill stick with two for a month or so before trying out 3 again...

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow start to the month volume-wise but I'm starting to get a few games in now. Played 25 total for the month so far (9 $1 STTs to get my mind back in, rest at $2) and I'm +$21 over that sample.

There's been a nasty six-game losing streak at the end of that though, preflop flips are not being kind to me at the moment for some reason :p

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I looked up Moshmans SitnGo strategy on amazon late last week. It cost me an extra $10 for shipping and that made it still a little cheaper than the ones that I could find in Aussie so I ordered it. I get a email today saying yourorder has been shipped it will be there on 14 November!! So I gotta wait a whole month for it :(

Anyway on to my progress for the month. I downloaded the HEM trial on the first of the month and it expired today. Since then I have played 70 sitngos and Im about $15 up from where I started so it is slow going but I think I am getting there now. I tried playing 3 tables at a time but found myself losing more than winning. I am now playing two tables very comfortably so I think ill stick with two for a month or so before trying out 3 again...

You are going to love the book and it will be worth the wait!

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I downloaded the HEM trial on the first of the month and it expired today.

I haven't tried it but I think you might be able for the free trail of "tounament manager" it's made by the same people. Then you can do the trial of PT3 as well.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need help getting HEM on my laptop. If any of you are familiar with it and would be willing to help me via Teamviewer let me know.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need help getting HEM on my laptop. If any of you are familiar with it and would be willing to help me via Teamviewer let me know.

i'd be willing to help out but not sure if i'm the one to help. i've have problems with the latest pg database thing but did end up figuring it out. i know the HEM forum is really good about helping you out. if not there you might even try the stoxpoker forum i'm sure someone there would be of great help.

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My line is set at $110(20 * 5.50), so in order to play a $5 sng I need to have a least one buy in past my line (in this case $115.50). Anything below that I have to drop down a buy in. Since I don't play turbos or for satellite tokens I have to drop down to the $2 sngs on full tilt.

Oups I'll recommend you to have at least 65 buy-ins at a given limit to play single tables SNG.
That could sound very conservative but should you respect this you won't have any risk of going broke.:)
Oh and i didn't found this number by myself so Kudos to Jennifear who did an excellent "SNG/Multitable SNG/MTT chart and guide" article on another forum I read (don't think i could post a link here or is it OK with it mods ? :confused:)
Great article to read and follow never been broke since I've first read it ;-)

I just received Collin Moshman's "Sit 'n Go Strategy today. Have any of you read it?

I am going to start on it tomorrow and try to finish it by the time I return from Vegas. (Which is highly optimistic since I am just now getting close to the end of HOH vol 1 after 1.5 years. :p )

I didn't read it by myself but 2 of my french friends made reviews of Moshman book and Phil Shaw's "Secrets of Sit'n'go" and they both prefered Shaw's book (who use to be jackal on most online sites he plays).
They said that book is for them the new litterature reference for Sit'n'go as it has to be more detailed than Moshman's one especially for the early and late stages parts.
The only minuses they tend to have is :
-the fact that shaw put all his examples apart in a second part of the book (but I think that's not a big deal :))
- but more important the perspective in terms of ROI (should be pages 120 to 128) is over-evaluated and so is the bankroll management which will lead to you being broke if you follow his advices.

Those 2 points apart Shaw's book should be a great read but you will probably have to go through Moshman's one first and then give a try at Shaw's "Secret of Sit'n'go" after that.

Once again I didn't read these books by myself but the 2 players comments I relay here are SNG instructors on a well known french forum and are overall winners on middle and high stakes SNG so I really think they know what they told about ;)

Hopes this helps. :)

PS : Debi don't tell Colin I've said Shaw's book is better than his :D :p

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I intend to read Shaw's book next. I am just loving Collin's book because I have such a hard time reading and focusing - and the way he has written his I am able to read it. And I love how his examples are right there with his discussion - it really helps drive it home.

B

bobsay225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
42 tourneys with not 1 first place and only 11 2nd places glad my roll was at 290 bucks and i only play 2 dolla sngs. this is after sept of a roi of 25.5 for 156 tourneys think its time for a rest and recoup I know it is affecting the way I am playing. glad i was not playing over my head still 17 dollas ahead after 1st in a freeroll here moshmans book is great have been reading last 3 nites

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i thought collin's book was awesome. i'm a cardrunners memeber and there is tons on phil shaw "jackal69" videos. he also has a 9 step series all about his book. i'm not sure how much better phil's book can possible be but do like his videos alot more the collin's. i haven't planned on buyin phil's book but now i guess i better. thanks guys.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
23 more $2 NL STTs, +$22.50. Makes it a total of $39.45 for the month so far.

What I'm happiest about though is that I've started three-tabling the past few days and so far it's been pretty comfortable. Loving what it's doing to my playing volume :)