$$$ October Micro SNG Thread $$$

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I have played 21 $3.40 SNGs over the last couple of days and im really starting to enjoy the later game. The part that im struggling with now is when its 5 or 6 handed and the blinds are getting decent. I find that I usually have to just stick it out and going into the bubble short stacked or I get a decent hand and double up.

Once its down to the bubble I like to get aggressive, whether my stack is big or small, I find I can usually pick up 60% of the blinds and build my stack nicely. If I am the big stack I can sometimes pick up 80-90% of the blinds depending on the players at the table obviously. I love smashing them around with my big stack.

Once HU comes, I find aggression to be the key but you have to know when to limit it. Ive been raising almost 100% of hands on the button and I think they get frustrated when they just cant get the cards to play.

So out of the 21 I have finished 8 times in the money but not once on the bubble. Out of those 8 times itm have been 1 second, 1 third and 6 first places.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I finally nailed down a BR policy for these. It works on an average buyin not a fixed limit. BR / 50 = average buyin . So when I play a session I mix some higher buyins some lower ones. But the average buyin will < 1/50th of my BR.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am struggling with the turbos - might have to go back to the regular sng's.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm not liking turbo's but have been thinking of giving them another go. i was even thinking of doing some of the superturbos. if i could get good at those it would be a great way to get earn FTPs pretty quick.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to think turbos might have their advantages and disadvantages all depending on what kind of players and limits your playing. I saw a few people doing 10-20 double or nothing sngs at a time and thought it might be profitable. After a quick search they were ranking in the top ten of last month's players. I'm not sure how you can win 6/10 consistently in those things, I'm just too streaky.

Well, I played two sngs earlier today, cashed in one. The massive chip leader took out two to put us itm and raised me pre. I pushed and his j10>AQ. I can't remember the last time it happened but in the second sng I crapped out in last place. The third just ended, taking second I seem to not have the patience to grind out a win against a chip stacks three to four times mine. You'd think it be easy against the type of player who usually takes all the chips at that point.

I'm obviously taking it pretty slowly as far as how many played each day/week. I'm not at the top of my sng game and will just be happy to end in the green at the end of the month.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I played n 4 regular speed sng's and finish itm in all 4 of them. finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2nd. :)

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very nice, I didn't understand why you were playing turbos. Thought you hated those. I guess you are talking 9 player sngos, are you playing those to practice for final tables? I would have thought 45-360 player sngos would be more up your alley, possible good return without being super long.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well my coach started training me on 9 person turbos sng's. He said most people prefer them because they can get more games in. But we are switching to regular ones now.

His specialty is 9 person and 18 person so I am going to play those for a while. I probably will end up playing the 27, 45 and 90's though.

B

bobsay225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good going on the itm finishes Mrs. D. As for me I am contemplating moving up to the 6.50 6max turbos on tilt. Got a nice boost with take 2 and that 1st place win on saturdays ft roll thanx for letting me play thema 1st and 2nd place and have played in less then 10 altogether here;)

Chronical23

Chronical23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i went broke :( i messed up again...

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i went broke :( i messed up again...

i was wondering what level SNGs you were doing to play with $25. there are some 30 cent ones and think there's a new one for 85 + 90cents but they only pay top 2.

S

Show Nun Bat Toe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Started the month with the take 2 bonus, which let me bank enough to play the $5 sngs. Well a few games later and I had to drop right back down to the $2. Awesome thing though, placed 1st in my first $2, put me over the $5 line so I played one of those and cashed in that one as well. Back to where I started. This feels way better than losing.

B

bobsay225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Started the month with the take 2 bonus, which let me bank enough to play the $5 sngs. Well a few games later and I had to drop right back down to the $2. Awesome thing though, placed 1st in my first $2, put me over the $5 line so I played one of those and cashed in that one as well. Back to where I started. This feels way better than losing.

Was just wondering how many buyins on a level are you playing for say the 5 dolla sng and your cut off to drop down?

S

Show Nun Bat Toe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was just wondering how many buyins on a level are you playing for say the 5 dolla sng and your cut off to drop down?

My line is set at $110(20 * 5.50), so in order to play a $5 sng I need to have a least one buy in past my line (in this case $115.50). Anything below that I have to drop down a buy in. Since I don't play turbos or for satellite tokens I have to drop down to the $2 sngs on full tilt.

Yesterday was a good day. Since I got back up over my line I got to play a couple of $5 games. The final 3 split the money in one, and I placed first in the other. Now I'm up to $145. Feels good, but I need to play more games.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just received Collin Moshman's "Sit 'n Go Strategy today. Have any of you read it?

I am going to start on it tomorrow and try to finish it by the time I return from Vegas. (Which is highly optimistic since I am just now getting close to the end of HOH vol 1 after 1.5 years. :p )

M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just received Collin Moshman's "Sit 'n Go Strategy today. Have any of you read it?

I've sorta skim read about 1/3rd of it, all very good stuff, dont remeber much though lol. I play sngs all the time too I really should finish it! Although now that im studying Japanese I dont really have time for much though. Books just aren't the best way for me to learn lol.

Probs why I suck :p

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am going to start on it tomorrow and try to finish it by the time I return from Vegas. (Which is highly optimistic since I am just now getting close to the end of HOH vol 1 after 1.5 years. :p )

I was doing a challenge on fulltilt and had to win just 2 SNGs to finish it. 30+ SNGs later I was still only half way there. I figured a better read up on SNGs before finishing this challenge. Bought Collin's book read it won over 50 buyins. Read the book became a winning SNG player.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you guys are amazing and oh sooooooooo dedicated. i'll keep coming back because maybe "just maybe" some of your dedication and expertise may rub off on ME. ...............peace and gl on the felt.:smile:

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book after you finish it....hopefully it's sooner than 18 months from now though;)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book after you finish it....hopefully it's sooner than 18 months from now though;)

Me too lol. I have an 8 day plan to finish it - started today!

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shazaam! It's been a long time but with a crap load of patience and little bit of luck I took down a 1st place in a 9-seater. :)

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a couple of suckouts today, one against me and one for me. First there was this, about the 5th hand of the tourney. After flopping the set I was 90% to win...

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $20(BB) Replayer
Hero ($1,480)
BB ($1,700)
UTG ($2,960)
UTG+1 ($1,300)
UTG+2 ($1,520)
MP1 ($1,470)
CO ($1,620)
BTN ($1,450)

Dealt to Hero 77

UTG calls $20, fold, UTG+2 raises to $100, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $90, fold, fold,

FLOP ($240) 479

Hero bets $240, UTG+2 raises to $1,420 (AI), Hero calls $1,140 (AI),

TURN ($3,000) 479A

RIVER ($3,000) 479AJ

UTG+2 shows AA
(Flop 8.9%, Turn 97.7%)

Hero shows 77
(Flop 91.1%, Turn 2.3%)

UTG+2 wins $3,000

Then in the next tourney this one came along. Both playing fairly tight so I picked a spot and shoved, got called with my rags and this is how it panned out...

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $400(BB) poker stars
($8,958)
($2,045)
Hero ($2,497)

Dealt to Hero 2T

Hero raises to $2,472 (AI), fold, calls $1,620 (AI),

FLOP ($4,315) AJK

TURN ($4,315) AJKQ

RIVER ($4,315) AJKQQ

shows A7
(Flop 81.9%, Turn 3.4%)

Hero shows 2T
(Flop 18.1%, Turn 96.6%)

Hero wins $4,315

Im just glad that when I got lucky we were plaing for top three rather than just starting :D

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I first started playing sng's less than a month ago my plan was to supplement my MTT's with sng's. I am thinking now the opposite may happen lol. Sng's may end of being my primary game. I feel like I have finally found something that I can work hard at becoming really good at.

Since I switched from turbos to regualr speed sng's I have done very well. I know it is just a small sample but the fact that I can do so well it is very satisfying. I have only played 13 since the switch but have cashed in 8 of those.

1st place - 3
2nd place - 2
3rd place - 3

I know it won't always go so well but for once I feel like I know what I am doing lol.

Collin's book is very good so far. I highly recommend it. I got it at Amazon and I think it was only $14.95 plus shipping. There really is no good reason not to buy it if you are playing sng's. :p

Part One is Low Blind Play. Initially he covers Tournament equity, Pot odds, Chip expected value and The Aggression Principle.

Then he moves into Hands to Play during Small Blinds and Post Flop Low Blind Play. I just finished this section. He gives lots of sample hands and and scenarios. I have learned a lot from this section.

Next will be Mid Blind Play - I struggle more here so I am anxious to read this part.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NJ Daxx. :)

Collin's book definitely looks like a good read.

I blanked out the last 3-sngs played, but I'm still slightly in the green for the month. ITM 6/13 so far, which is mediocre imo. I might need some ritalin. :( pfff.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am still down for the month since my turbo run was such a disaster - played 11 of those and only had 1 itm and it was 3rd place lol.

But - I am up on MTT's more than I am down on Sng's - so slightly ahead for the month overall.

6/13 itm is very good not mediocre lol!